Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously gawdy bike painting, stealing protection?

Options
  • 30-07-2008 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

I live in town so I don't need to cycle but I've noticed recently as I walk through town bikes that are painted in god awful colours. Saw one today that was bright green, even the wheel rims and spokes. At the weekend I saw one that was orange, even the tires were painted orange. It looked like maybe they'd been gloss painted with a brush but I didn't get a really good luck so maybe not. I'm guessing this is to put off people from stealing said bikes. Is that the case? Is it that bad? Do the gardai do anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Is that the Orange one thats been chained to a (steel) pole in Temple Bar for a while now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

meglome wrote: »
    Is that the case?
    More than likely just a 'beater' bike where the owner doesnt care too much about the condition as they only need it for short journeys, and by making it look worthless, thieves wont look twice
    Is it that bad?
    Yes its pretty bad. There are a lot of threads on this forum about bikes getting stolen, and threads about how to protect, or do your best to try and protect your bike against these scumbags
    Do the gardai do anything?
    Hmm, in some cases they'll try, some cases they wont. Almost all cases end in bad news though, its quite unlikely you'll get the bike back. My experience with the gardai in this matter haven't been great, but others may have different stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Saw that one the other day. It must be an art installation, the handlebar is not perpendicular to the frame, it has been angled away, making cycling the bike somewhat difficult. An attempt to prevent theft I guess.

I'm surprised it hasn't been kicked in if it has been there a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

AndyP wrote: »
    Is that the Orange one thats been chained to a (steel) pole in Temple Bar for a while now?

Yeah that's the one alright.

I was thinking it's a good way not to have your bike stolen if it looks so bad. Although they'd steal anything in this town, especially since they seem to get away with it so readily.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

I seem to think there's a few of these around town or maybe I've just been walking past one in temple bar more than I imagine

• Advertisement
Advertisement