Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Mayo-ians Use Boards Much?

Options
  • 30-07-2008 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

A simple question,really.I was just wondering the amount of people form Mayo using boards.ie?

Im appalled at the little amount of treads on the topic of Mayo
    and its towns,etc.

(Hence why this appalling tread is up,LOL)

How often do you use boards.ie? 48 votes

Daily
    0% 0 votes
    2-3 times a weekly
    62% 30 votes
    Weekly
    25% 12 votes
    Every second of the day!
    12% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

I use it but i'm from blanchardstown,I spend alot of time there tho

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I wouldn't think alot of people from Mayo know about boards.ie....... I just happened to come across it by accident....

Would be great to see more Mayo users here...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Im from mayo and love the boards. Im to be found on motors, AH & BGRH

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Because i dont post much Im not allowed to vote in the poll but im on here about 3-4 times per week.

Mabye the lack of threads is due to the lack of exciting developments in Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

Im on here nearly everyday even though I live in Galway now. But never anything much on the Myo boards to post about. Now being one of them occasions.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Here all the time, have been since the site started :)

I have had people come up to me on the street in Castlebar asking me about boards believe it or not. Funniest was someone ranting at me about "that bastard DeVore" who had banned him or something and I said "You do know he's my flat mate, right?" (he was at the time).

Of course, a decent broadband service in the west and people would become more aclimatised to daily internet use and given boards.ie is usuall always in the top 10 search results for google.ie, it'll only be a matter of time till people will find it :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Been on since 2001, on pretty much all day every day.

Kharn: I'm doin' me best! :p

Were it not for good people like yourself Mr oB, there'd have been no impetus on the big companies to do anything about it, so for that I thank you.

Still, it was one of the deciding factors in my leaving and having been there last weekend and seeing it in action, I'm still not impressed with things. Have I mentioned that I love my 8meg Smart line? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Daily, when I get home from work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

i check in almost everyday
    not strictly from mayo ... but as am down there every now and again, its nice to check in!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Wish i had more time for sitting in front of the computer in summer..and miss the craic on Boards.

I do think broadband would help...oh and if there was free beer, that would be great Ted. Sure they'ed all be joining ;).

A friend told me about the site.......took me a while to pluck up the courage to actually post, but love it now. Wish more would join!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I'm one of those "long time readers - short time posters" trolls.

usually have half a reply written in at work, before I have to tend to a customer, or pressing the the submit button, and then realising the internet connection has broke on me.

Westnet is a brilliant thing to have, and it's well priced for the money. In fact, i'd nearly cut my finger and say that westnet is expanding quicker than eircom, in mayo... which is a bit ridiculous really that we pay through the nose for phones and still can't get a service.

Like oB, I am also selling broadband, well o2 Mobile Broadband actually, so i smell competition. But usually people only come into us when they have been rejected by both eircom and westnet...

Well, in all honestly Kharn, things have improved greatly in Mayo over the last two or three years. Castlebar is getting shops opening up every day, and thankfully, there's more shops opening than there is closing.

I think it would be a good idea, when broadband penetration throughout mayo improves, if the admins threw an ad in a local newspaper or even held a fundraising event. People in Mayo are beginning to get sick of having Bebo and MSN as their only options... They just haven't been told yet, that there's something better out there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I checkup on here once a day. I'm from Mayo, work in Mayo, but live in Roscommon. There's alot more activity in here than in the Roscommon forum. Mayo has a better broadband infrastructure.

OT @Kharn, very unfair to compare Smart to Westnet, nobody in Mayo and very few in the capital even, are lucky enough to be one of the chosen few able to get Smart. Smart are not looking for new customers or even to expand their network. Westnet provide a service where no other company can see it as financially viable.

Kharn wrote: »
    I have had people come up to me on the street in Castlebar asking me about boards believe it or not. Funniest was someone ranting at me about "that bastard DeVore" who had banned him or something and I said "You do know he's my flat mate, right?" (he was at the time).
    God help the other flatmates. They obviously didn't get to spend much time at the computer. Only when you and DeV were at the beers. :p

@ nevf: It was all good, everyone had their own, if not 2 of their own PCs :) The only real concern was that no one was hogging all the bandwidth!

@ Póg: I wasn't taking a swing at Westnet at all, sure isn't oB one of my friends (he's one of the chief bottle washers in the company). I was referring to some eircom connections I'd been playing with over the course of the weekend I was visiting (including having tea and a bun with oscarBravo :p) and that's not clear from my post, and unfortunately, I can't edit it as it's past time. As I said above, it's only when someone starts doing their job better than they themselves that the big providers will pay any attention. Horay for the little guy sticking it to the man!

Kharn wrote: »
    @ nevf: It was all good, everyone had their own, if not 2 of their own PCs :) The only real concern was that no one was hogging all the bandwidth!

@ Póg: I wasn't taking a swing at Westnet at all, sure isn't oB one of my friends (he's one of the chief bottle washers in the company). I was referring to some eircom connections I'd been playing with over the course of the weekend I was visiting (including having tea and a bun with oscarBravo :p) and that's not clear from my post, and unfortunately, I can't edit it as it's past time. As I said above, it's only when someone starts doing their job better than they themselves that the big providers will pay any attention. Horay for the little guy sticking it to the man!
    hehe, yeah, oB is the caretaker for the office at Westnet.
    eircom haven't a bananas about what they're doing down here anyway, and it's thanks to westnet that there's people in the hilly villages of mayo able to get something faster than dial-up.

Must have had low bandwith limits when you were afraid of over running your limit surfing boards.ie all day... :pac:

nevf wrote: »
    hehe, yeah, oB is the caretaker for the office at Westnet.
    o O

Jedi Janitor, innit? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

Check out boards daily at work in Mayo,not possible to check it from home on really slow dial up,broadband not possible :mad:.Great site do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

I'm not much of a poster but I have been on almost daily since I joined, though I was aware of Boards long before then.

True, there's not much going on in the Mayo forum. Maybe because there's just not much going on in Mayo itself. Or maybe because there's so much fun stuff going on, that we just want to keep it secret for ourselves! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

barry75 wrote: »
    Check out boards daily at work in Mayo,not possible to check it from home on really slow dial up,broadband not possible :mad:.Great site do.

oscarBravo, do something for this man :)

Yessir. /salutes

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I knew you would. Now that's what I call customer care! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Online everyday so usually have a quick peek in here. Mainly use Boards for the poker forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

I haqve gone through phases of using boards but drift out and forget my password-this time however I intend to make it a more permanent hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aviendha

Hell yeah.. actually .. need... to..... remove.. myself.... from... Subbed.. Threads.. *twitch*
    Living in Dublin but can't remove the Green and Red blood!! :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Never use boards, nothing good on it ;)

When did they make you a mod?!?!?!

Friend :D

• Advertisement

When Mayo can't even get a fecking TD into the cabinet - we've got Mr. Mayo man oscarBravo running around the Politics forum patrolling the place.

Respect.

...and Yop, the last time I saw you, you didn't have all these corporal mod stripes. :)

Advertisement