Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Tiling Question

Options
  • 30-07-2008 3:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

Tiling the bathroom and kitchen of the apartment. There is a cork type board covering the concrete I assume as a sound dampener. Can tiles be applied directly to this or do I need to put something like a marine ply over it first?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

meglome wrote: »
    Tiling the bathroom and kitchen of the apartment. There is a cork type board covering the concrete I assume as a sound dampener. Can tiles be applied directly to this or do I need to put something like a marine ply over it first?

Thanks
    How well is the cork board down?
    if its flat and well down you can probbaly tiles to it.
    How are you for height compared to skirting/door saddle etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

The cork board seems to be fixed quite well. There is a little space between the cork board and the top of the door saddle do I could probably get a thin sheet of marine ply in there if necessary. What's the norm in this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

if you cant get at least 9mm WBP (dont bother with marine ply, too expensive) then I wouldnt bother, 6mm stuff is very flimsy.

Normally you would cur the saddle board in half (at a spot that is under a closed door) then you just butt the tiles up against it.
    To be honest Id remove the cork board and just tile on the concrete if you think you are going to have level issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Thanks

Advertisement