Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In Car DVD Hack Possibilities

• 30-07-2008 5:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I recently came across three, 7” twin screen in car DVD players I abandoned about a year and a half ago. I had bought them for a little enterprise that eventually, didn’t pan out!

Anyway, I got to thinking what I could with them.
    I’m going to buy a new car shortly so I’ll probably stick one in there, I’m thinking of removing the LCD form its fugly surround and sticking it on a hinge inside the glove box. That way, it won’t take up so much room in there and the car won’t scream “Break Into Me”.

(I don’t have much electronic experience, so I’m hoping someone can tell me I’m making a mistake here)

I had one of the LCD units splayed on my kitchen table earlier, there’s two PCBs inside each unit. One seems to manage the power, sound, contrast, brightness and remote control functions. The other is attached directly to the back on the LCD and has who sets of wires connecting it to the first PCB. The two sets of wires look like smaller versions of the old ATA / IDE connection you would find connecting a hard drive in an older computer.

Like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ata_20070127_002.jpg
    Only one wire has maybe 6 pins and the other has 3 or 4.

I’m thinking of just cutting the wires connecting the two PCBs, and soldering in a piece of wire that’s the length I need. Is this just a stupid thing to do or is there an easier solution?

The other idea I had was to make an in bed dvd player. Basically just attach the two monitors to the wall or headboard of my bed. The only thing I need here is a PSU. I tried using an old 12V adaptor I had lying about but it really didn’t work out. So I did a little research and according to the manufacturer’s website:

“Twin screen models are designed as "in car" products and are thus not normally supplied with an AC Mains Adaptor for use in the home. If the Player operates correctly in the car when utilizing the Car Cigarette Lighter Socket and DC Adaptor supplied, but has either none or just one screen working when utilizing the AC Adaptor, then the Player is not faulty. These models require a high power AC Mains Adaptor to run satisfactorily and it should be rated at 12 Volts at three Amps (3000mA). Most adaptors available locally can supply, at most, around one Amp (1000mA) and usually only 300mA. Running on an underpowered adaptor can cause overheating of the Adaptor and possible damage to the Player, which is not covered by the warranty.”

I had a quick scout around the old interweb but I don’t know which sites are reputable and which are going to melt my credit card. So where would ye get ye’re hands on a “12 Volts at three Amps (3000mA)” adaptor? As it’s now 5.35am and I’m going to bed, I’m not ringing Peats to see if they have them!

So that’s ideas for two of the DVD players, what would ye do with the other one, besides using it as spares for the mistakes I will probably make!

Here’s the make, model and link.
    Venturer
    PVS1971
    http://www.venturer.com/products.aspx?view=67

Thanks everyone
    D

Advertisement