Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siren in Balbriggan this Morning

Options
  • 30-07-2008 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

What on earth was the siren for that was going off this morning??

It frightened the s h i t e out of me!! It was going off from around 5ish for around 40mins..

I think I have been watchin way too many horrors as all I was expecting was a War of the Worlds / Cloverfield event to take place :D:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paulie13

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have heard this. Thought I was dreaming. Sounded like a World War 2 air raid siren!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

paulie13 wrote: »
    Sounded like a World War 2 air raid siren!

It really did!!

I have to stop watchin those films cos once I heard that sound I just thought to myself "this is it, it's finally happening" :o

Any ideas what it was? I suppose the most logical answer is that the army were fighting some invisible enemy?

I'd say the garda station got loads of calls about it this morning, "Are we under attack or what"?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Is it not just that siren from Dublin Port that everyone was going on about a few months back?

Thread 1

Thread 2

Yea seems like its the same sound alright but it couldnt be coming all the way from Dublin Port to Balbriggan??

How windy was it this morning?

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    How windy was it this morning?

A bit, but that is quite normal for Balbriggan. Still Dublin Port is 20odd miles away, this was quite load.

My bf even woke with the sound, and the double glazed windows were shut..

Hmmm I'm all out of explanations so. It was heard in Coolock last time which is fair distance from the port too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

As far as I know this was the fire stations alarm to call in the volunteers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

It's the fire alarm in Wavin folks. There was a bit of an incident overnight, nothing too serious thank God.

Anyone living in the town the last 50 odd years would be familiar with the sound, it goes off a few times a year both under test and for real.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paulie13

Bluetonic wrote: »
    It's the fire alarm in Wavin folks.

Thanks for clearing that up.

• Advertisement

It's the fire alarm in Wavin folks. There was a bit of an incident overnight, nothing too serious thank God.

Anyone living in the town the last 50 odd years would be familiar with the sound, it goes off a few times a year both under test and for real.

cheers for the info,

they used to have a similar sound in the old fire station, do they not use that anymore in the new station?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I didn't hear a thing:)

But I live at the opposite end of the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

AAggghhh thanks Wavin

Had visions of B52 bomders and then sounded like a train coming - nice morning alarm. Plus I had earplugs in and could hear it on other side of the town. *shakes fists at wavin factory*

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I didn't hear a thing:)

But I live at the opposite end of the town.

We live in Bremore and heard it loud and clear! Thought it was something after happening in Sellafield after seeing that documentary last year :eek:
    The mind does tend to think strange things at that hour of the morning!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

lol

I am glad for those reasons I didn't hear it,half asleep I would have been convinced the whole town was being nuked.

for those that didnt hear it, balbriggan.net recorded it

http://www.balbriggan.net/Audio/airraid.swf

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Yes, it was very loud, heard it from tara court, knew id heard it before, but being a balbriggan head im shocked I didnt know it was Wavin. I thought it was an air raid, stuck on my ear defenders and my helmet and went back to sleep :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭clg23

Why the f*ck do Wavin have to let the whole town know when they make a mistake- sellafield I could understand but the pipe machine broke down I dont need to know (especially at 5 in the morning)..

Wavin??? :o:o Don't I feel like a thick now!!

I on sky news and RTE news trying to find out what had happened!!

Its a right scary sound that early in the morning!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SkateBoards

Last time I checked building services regulations, a fire alarm, or building alarm is supposed to sound like (oddly enough) a fire alarm, or building alarm, NOT an air-raid siren.

It frightened the hell out of me, as others have said with our relative proximity to Sellafield. Why can they not use a ringing sound or a bleep or ANYTHING other than an air-raid sound?

• Advertisement

Ah I think the thought crossed everyones mind- Nuclear War was here, Sellafield had exploded etc.

Who took there iodine tablets last night?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Can I come out of the bunker now?

Seriously, are people that naive that they think the govt has installed air raid sirens in all the towns in case of inevitable nuclear fallout or a nuclear strike? Pah! dont make me laugh.

According to the National Emergency Plan
    How will the public be informed in an emergency?
    Radio and television media will be used to regularly update the public with information during an emergency. Until further information is available on the accident and any radioactive releases, the public may be advised to GO IN, STAY IN, TUNE IN.

The first you would hear about it would be on the radio.

GO IN STAY IN TUNE IN....

cellotape your windows and doors and vents, block your chimney, grab the rosary and a copy of the bible, gather together infront of a candle lit picture of Jesus Christ / Mohammed/ [INSERT DIETY HERE], pass around the OUT OF DATE Iodine tablets and a glass of water, place your head between your knees and kiss your a$$ goodbye because this govt doesnt give a fcuk about you anyway.

Now think of the poor sod in his bed who didnt switch on the radio to HEAR the announcement that armageddon has begun!

While you are all doing that, ill be haring down the backroads to Galway/donegal/clare coast to get as far away from the east coast as possible! :rolleyes:

Also, the reason wavin has that siren is because some accidents there could potentially leak extremely deadly chemicals into the air. Im sure wavin has its own internal emergency response team to deal with chemical or fire hazzards though.

Finally, the old Fire brigade siren system has been replaced with newer technology, something called "pagers" i believe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mehh

Heard it loud and clear in Bremore, in my semi consious state, I was ready to pack the car with tinned food and beer, and head for the hills. Might do it anyway just in case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

didn't hear a thing in Balrothery

Ignorance is bliss...
    clg23 wrote: »
    Why the f*ck do Wavin have to let the whole town know when they make a mistake- sellafield I could understand but the pipe machine broke down I dont need to know (especially at 5 in the morning)..
    Pipe machine breaking down. Yeah....
    It frightened the hell out of me, as others have said with our relative proximity to Sellafield.
    Sellafield... Christ...

The mind boggles.

Ignorance is bliss...

Pipe machine breaking down. Yeah....

Sellafield... Chirst...

The mind boggles.

So what happened then?

clg23 wrote: »
    So what happened then?

As per my earlier post it was the fire alarm to indicate a fire.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56730708&postcount=10

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kcools

Was woken up by the bl**dy thing this morning as well. Kinda assumed it was Wavin, as I used to live in Swords and you'd often hear the same air-raid type siren go off at the chemical plant.
    I knew it had to be a "real" situation (ie not testing the system) cos of the time it went off but strangely enough didn't hear any fire engines etc........:confused:

kcools wrote: »
    strangely enough didn't hear any fire engines etc........:confused:
    Fire Engine wouldn't need to use it's siren at that time of the night, there is little of no traffic on the road at 4am/5am especially on the distance between Balbriggan fire station and Wavin.

• Advertisement

Yup, been hearing it for years.

Advertisement