Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First floor sound proofing in new build

• 30-07-2008 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I'm in the middle of a new build. The first floor is a standard timber joisted structure, over layed with WPB Ply. I'm looking for advice/information on methods of adding some type of sound proofing to it..... Or at least reducing impact sounds. As always, cost will be a important factor.....so it's a question of finding a balance, rather that finding the latest greatest complete sound barrier.
    I've had a look at the Phonewell product. Reports are very good, put the material only cost would run close to 6000!!
    I can source another product...I think it's called Acoustic-Block, but again material cost would be in the region of 5000.
    I don't doubt that their performance probably explains their cost, however I'm curious to see what other options people have used, and their costs. As a guide, I've been using 150m2 as the area for quotes (the real area is a little smaller).
    I've seen one solution used, which was much cheaper. The affect was positive, however the house is not actually moved into yet, so it's a little hard to get a real feel for how good it is. They used a roll out mat... Not sure of the name, but it seemed to be some type of rubber, was dimpled, and seem to be full of cork bits. Over all it was about 6-10mm. When the floor was covered, they laid another floor of ply. Final floor (carpet, of floating timber floor) will go on top of that again. So the end product will be joists / ply / cork-mat / ply / final floor. Despite the two floors of ply the cost was much lower that the figures above.

Interested to get feedback on these or other options - as well as the performance of it, after you moved into the house - And of course an estimate of cost (related to area) where possible.
    Any feedback appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Westford wrote: »
    I'm curious to see what other options people have used, and their costs.

Check www.armadillonv.com this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Westford

Thanks for the info on Armadillonv.
    Looking at this site, I'm 99% sure that their "MULTIWAY LINE UNDERLAYS", or something very,very like it, is what I was referring to in the original post (joists / ply / cork-mat / ply / final floor).
    Have you seen it installed....What was the final result?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Consider installing 75 - 100mm rockwool between joists and double slab underside of ceiling. (Screw fix 2 plaster board slabs to ceiling - step joints!)

19mm plasterboard between joists would have worked, prior to laying ply.

I found 3mm underlay on 18mm t&g OSB, then lay 12mm ply on top.
    5mm Alveolit rubber stuck to ply and 20mm t&g solid floor boards.
    I find it works very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Westford wrote: »
    Have you seen it installed....What was the final result?

I used one very similar (NOISEX) I think it was, a few years back, worked a treat, timber floor finish, cant hear the footsteps downstairs.

Advertisement