Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email Received - scam OR legit?

Options
  • 30-07-2008 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

I received this in this morning and I am wondering has anyone seen this type of thing before. It looks very VERY fishy but lots of contact details have been supplied.

- - - - - start email - - - - - -

Dear COMPANY NAME Ltd,

We are one of the Domain Name Dispute Resolution (DNDR) Committee members authorized by ANIC(Asia Internet Network Information Center).
    Now we have something urgent need to confirm with your company.
    On the July 28, 2008, we received the Hang Rui Investment Co.,Ltd's application that they want to register "COMPANY NAME" as their Internet Brand and Asia Pacific domains. Considering domains and internet brand would involve the intellectual property of your company’s name,patents,trademarks,and copyright, and in order to avoid confusion between them, so we inform you urgently.If you considered these domain names and internet keywords are important to you and there was necessary to protect them by registering them first, please let someone who is responsible for trademark or domain name contact me as soon as possible,.Thank you for your cooperation.

I am waiting for your urgent reply,
    Kind Regards,
    Dr. Chris xxxxx
    Chief Law Officer,Senior Consulting Director

Tel: +86-571-28927205 ext.808(Mon–Fri,9am to 6:30pm,GMT+8)
    Fax: +86-571-28926277 Mail: xxxxxxxxxxx

- - - - - end email - - - - - -

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Seems a scam according to this other forum i found through google.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I received this in this morning and I am wondering has anyone seen this type of thing before. It looks very VERY fishy but lots of contact details have been supplied.

- - - - - start email - - - - - -

Dear COMPANY NAME Ltd,

We are one of the Domain Name Dispute Resolution (DNDR) Committee members authorized by ANIC(Asia Internet Network Information Center).
    Now we have something urgent need to confirm with your company.
    On the July 28, 2008, we received the Hang Rui Investment Co.,Ltd's application that they want to register "COMPANY NAME" as their Internet Brand and Asia Pacific domains. Considering domains and internet brand would involve the intellectual property of your company’s name,patents,trademarks,and copyright, and in order to avoid confusion between them, so we inform you urgently.If you considered these domain names and internet keywords are important to you and there was necessary to protect them by registering them first, please let someone who is responsible for trademark or domain name contact me as soon as possible,.Thank you for your cooperation.

I am waiting for your urgent reply,
    Kind Regards,
    Dr. Chris xxxxx
    Chief Law Officer,Senior Consulting Director

Tel: +86-571-28927205 ext.808(Mon–Fri,9am to 6:30pm,GMT+8)
    Fax: +86-571-28926277 Mail: xxxxxxxxxxx

- - - - - end email - - - - - -

I believe it is a scam. If it was real you would expect them to be able to afford to pay someone to fix the grammar in it as well as appropriate business language.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭thedesigntribe

Though so.... thanks people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I was just about to post this. Got the exact email this morning relating to a .ie domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I've had a few in the last couple of days, as did a lot of our clients. Complete scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Basically what these lads are doing is attempting to sell you .hk domains and the like that match your own domain (With a hefty profit no doubt).

The only way I can see anything like this affecting your business in any way shape or form is if you deal with the Asian pacific market on a large scale. And if you do, you probably have that domain already.

This scam has been floating around for a while, I recall getting these about a year ago. Just junk them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

scam...

once you get on to them you will be bidding against another (non-exisitant) party for the .net or .org or .hk ...etc... version of your domain...

Advertisement