Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mexico City

• 30-07-2008 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hey,

Was wondering if anybody here has any experience of flying in/out of Mexico City or just passing through it.

I have heard it is a dangerous place, has anybody had any bad experiences while in the city?

I might be flying into mexico city solo, any recommendations?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭spooner_src

Hey there Jam,

I been there 6 times for work staying for 1 to 2 weeks at a time.

In terms of flights all the major european carriers fly there daily sometimes twice a day. I normally fly BA cause I am a member but they only fly mon, wed, fri and sat.

Just back 2 weeks ago and flew for the first time with Airfrance, hated it but then I am spoilt with flying BA.

KLM from amsterdam are probably the cheapest but i have never flown with them.

In terms of how dangerous the place is well thats a matter of opinion. I never feel threatened or unsafe as long as you stick to the main areas and not stray too much.

Taxi's are much safer now as they are all regulated but I still wouldnt get into the green and white beetle cabs that run around the place.

Food is top notch but again watch where you eat. Where abouts are you thinking of staying?

One thing that is really cool is make sure you get a window seat in the plane as the views coming in and out of the city are amazing.

Also its their rainy season there now so be prepared for heavy rain. Also the altitude may take a bit to get used to.

Let me know if you need anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭jam_on_toast

Hey there Jam,

I been there 6 times for work staying for 1 to 2 weeks at a time.

In terms of flights all the major european carriers fly there daily sometimes twice a day. I normally fly BA cause I am a member but they only fly mon, wed, fri and sat.

Just back 2 weeks ago and flew for the first time with Airfrance, hated it but then I am spoilt with flying BA.

KLM from amsterdam are probably the cheapest but i have never flown with them.

In terms of how dangerous the place is well thats a matter of opinion. I never feel threatened or unsafe as long as you stick to the main areas and not stray too much.

Taxi's are much safer now as they are all regulated but I still wouldnt get into the green and white beetle cabs that run around the place.

Food is top notch but again watch where you eat. Where abouts are you thinking of staying?

One thing that is really cool is make sure you get a window seat in the plane as the views coming in and out of the city are amazing.

Also its their rainy season there now so be prepared for heavy rain. Also the altitude may take a bit to get used to.

Let me know if you need anything else

Will just be flying in and getting out as soon as possible to be honest. Will be heading south of the city anyway, haven't finalised an itinerary just yet.

Might have to stay the night there if my flight arrives late in the day. Do you know of any good places that aren't too pricey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭spooner_src

well if you are flying in and not staying (which is a shame as the open top tour buses around the city is really cool) I would reckon you stay around the airport so. Depending on your budget but there is a hotel right at the airport called the Camino Real (never stayed there) that looks good. I have stayed in one in another area of mexico city and it was really really good and not too pricey.

There is a huge park too where I normally stay its called Chapultepec park with a castle ontop of it, really nice place to walk around and explore.

Will you be going to the aztec pyrimads as they are really cool to.

If I was visiting mexico city i would at least give the city one day as you will regret it if you dont see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I hope you are not just running in and out of the city because you heard the city was dangerous. I've never felt threatened or felt any immediate sense of danger there and i've been in the subways and in taxis and working class neighborhood bars. I've felt more danger in some big American and European cities. Once you use common sense and get taxi's and don't walk around areas that look like a dump you'll be fine unless you have the misfortune to be robbed which can happen any where in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭jam_on_toast

So it's definetely worth sticking around for 2/3 days?

Any highly recommended things to see or do?

• Advertisement
Advertisement