Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the popularisation and normalising of drug use!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

buckieburd wrote: »
    Would you rather they are all p!ssed out their heads and running amok?
    Coke has the same effect on a % of users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

No Coke+Drink does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

http://www.cedro-uva.org/stats/asd8701.pdf
    In a country where hash has been readily available for a long time, only 13.1% of people actually smoke it. Hence nullifying this opinion that a western society will break down if hash is legalized.

Legalisation will also lead to regualtion, therefore no more mankey diesel/coffee/honey soap-bar. Which is in fact bad for peoples health, but only because it's not regulated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Yup, Coke and alcohol are pretty similar in that respect. They both tend to turn a lot of users aggresive.

Mdma, LSD and cannabis on the other hand... absolutely polar opposite (for the most part)

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    http://www.cedro-uva.org/stats/asd8701.pdf
    In a country where hash has been readily available for a long time, only 13.1% of people actually smoke it. Hence nullifying this opinion that a western society will break down if hash is legalized.

Legalisation will also lead to regualtion, therefore no more mankey diesel/coffee/honey soap-bar. Which is in fact bad for peoples health, but only because it's not regulated.
    You post a chart from 2001 and expect me to make head nor tail of it. Did you think I wouldnt open it and you could go on your merry way with all your unproven claims?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

ntlbell wrote: »
    If they could eat it might be an option
    Kold wrote: »
    Yeah.. If you can ingest it.

Does a bad comedown make you unable to eat? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Well, the situation in Amsterdam hasn't changed much since 2001 really, we could expect to see perhaps a difference of 1 or 2 percent, but is that really relevent? It's statistics showin that after weed being available for all to consume for 30+ odd years, only 13.1 percent of the population smoked it. I think it's worth pointing out. Society is not gonna collapse if weed is legalized. All the current problems associated with illegal weed in ireland will be sorted with legalisation.

Piste wrote: »

I think the majority have problems eating with a bad come down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

MDMA makes you unable to eat, it's kind of one of the things that makes it good, you don't feel the needs of certain things you would normally. When you're coming down, the euphoria has gone but it's side effects remain; being unable to eat, being unable to sleep and being unable to come. All of which would be good for boosting your endorphin level and speeding up returning to normal without being stuck in exhausted limbo.

Shulgin wrote: »
    Yup, Coke and alcohol are pretty similar in that respect. They both tend to turn a lot of users aggresive.

Mdma, LSD and cannabis on the other hand... absolutely polar opposite (for the most part)

A lot of MDMA users are edgy after a weekend on it also. Try working or dealing with someone who has been on a mad one over the weekend. They are touchy and defensive(myself included).

Im sure you will have some plonkers on here telling me the exact amount to take (.0132 of a gram every 2 days an hour before the light goes, near a yew tree facing northeast) but thats not how these drugs work.
    Thats not how they are used!
    The vast majority of users dont know that you can take a legal sleeper/depression tab/dietry suppliment(L-Tryptophan) to illeviate those problems and the ones with the common sense will ask . CAN YOU PROVE THIS OR IS IT JUST ANOTHER STONER WAFFLE? So maybe its usefull that most people are not stupid enough to go out and try all sorts of ammino acids and metabolites of said to reduce the nasty next day come down.
    Anyway its just as easy to have a Yogurt, bar of chocolate and a few banana's.

And someone posted they dont get comedowns of pills- was the last time your 2nd or 3rd? Ever

• Advertisement

If anyone is interested, have a watch of this ABC documentary from a few years back. Very balanced and informative MDMA (ecstasy) information.

Peter Jennings "ecstasy Rising"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

And someone posted they dont get comedowns of pills- was the last time your 2nd or 3rd? Ever
    Nah, 8th/9th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think the majority have problems eating with a bad come down.

Dampened sex drive, can't eat chocolate, MDMA sounds crap tbh.

Might be a good idea for weight loss though >_>

And thus, Piste turned into the old lady from Requiem for a Dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

We've been strictly enforcing prohibition for years and it's done nothing.
    People understand now, that the whole drugs market is DEMAND DRIVEN. The laws of economics mean that there will always be a supply.

People now accept that a large proportion of the population uses drugs (and more importantly, that a large proportion of these people are middle class!) and thus it would be impossible/undesirable to lock them all up.

Most people have lost faith in prohibition, they see it's not working.

However this does not mean they support legalisation, they're under the false assumtion that legal drugs would just make things worse.

Attitudes are changing, slowly but surely.It won't be long before people stop caring to such an extent that drug-laws gradually start being less and less well enforced.With this, legalisation won't be far away.

Heh.

Put it this way, there's a difference between pleasure(like you get from sex or chocolate) and happiness. MDMA makes you truly appreciate the difference. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭sunnyse

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    L-Tryptophan is available in health shops here, however, and it serves essentially the same purpose.

This is what I use too. You can get it on line for a third of the health food prices.;)

MDMA works in a very messy way, releasing ALL of your serotonin just to get some oxytocin released.

It won't be long untill drugs that directly target either your oxytocin/vassopressin receptors or the specific serotonin receptors involved in oxytocin release will be available. These drugs will lack the side effects and strong tolerance associated with MDMA.

The vast majority of users dont know that you can take a legal sleeper/depression tab/dietry suppliment(L-Tryptophan) to illeviate those problems and the ones with the common sense will ask . CAN YOU PROVE THIS OR IS IT JUST ANOTHER STONER WAFFLE? So maybe its usefull that most people are not stupid enough to go out and try all sorts of ammino acids and metabolites of said to reduce the nasty next day come down.

Just out of curiousity why do you feel it's stupid for people to educate themselves on the best way to maxamise a trip? or the best and easiest way to recover?

Might be a good idea for weight loss though >_>

And thus, Piste turned into the old lady from Requiem for a Dream.

Some people get cravings for things like chocolate while on it and after it I know a lot of people who need mars bars while on it apparently the sensation of the mars bar in the mouth is nice too.

As for sex drive I dunno about that I would say the complete opposite like a fecking dog in heat bai!

What will lose the weight is 8/9 hours dancing and sweating.

It's like anything else, people will have their own experiences on it much like drink or any other drug...

vinylmesh wrote: »
    MDMA works in a very messy way, releasing ALL of your serotonin just to get some oxytocin released.

It won't be long untill drugs that directly target either your oxytocin/vassopressin receptors or the specific serotonin receptors involved in oxytocin release will be available. These drugs will lack the side effects and strong tolerance associated with MDMA.
    Where's the economic incentive to develop such a drug?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

L-Tryptophan is available in health shops here, however, and it serves essentially the same purpose.

Personally i would recommend picking up some 5HTP if you are up north or over in the states. I am not a massive fan of L-Tryptophan and it is a little bit harsher on the body than 5HTP.

Plus i still have concerns about L-Tryptophan from the old days when a lot of sleeping aids were L-Trytophan based.

Dragan wrote: »
    Personally i would recommend picking up some 5HTP if you are up north or over in the states. I am not a massive fan of L-Tryptophan and it is a little bit harsher on the body than 5HTP.

Plus i still have concerns about L-Tryptophan from the old days when a lot of sleeping aids were L-Trytophan based.

do you take 5HTP all the time? or are you only taken it when it's "needed" ?

A couple of research chemicals/compounds are already touted for this, such as Methalone and Methadrone, both are touted as very good alternatives to MDMA with very few sides.

do you take 5HTP all the time? or are you only taken it when it's "needed" ?

Personally i have found 5HTP to help a lot under various circumstances. SAD, or general depression has been eased by it.

Personally i have found 5HTP to help a lot under various circumstances. SAD, or general depression has been eased by it.

But is it something that you would need to take every day for it to be affective? or does it work from the first wash? :)

But is it something that you would need to take every day for it to be affective? or does it work from the first wash? :)

Ah apologies, i misunderstood the question there. Taking about 50 to 100 milligrams the day after any "event" is a great idea and is all you need. You should find yourself starting to get sleepy about 2 hours or so after taking it so ensure a safe place to crash.

You should wake the next morning feeling great but if mood shifts downwards that evening ( normally after a particularly heavy session ) then another 50milligrams should solve that.

I would avoid Head Shops for "Recovery Pills", they are very over priced, often with WAY too much in a single cap and such levels are rarely needed.

Where's the economic incentive to develop such a drug?

Actually, researchers are very interested in them, mainly to help people with autism (and also possibly other conditions that could be helped by increased empathy).

I'm sure you know already that MDMA is being used in a trial to treat PTSD.

Also methylone and mephedrone both work in the exact same way as MDMA so while they might have less side effects, they're probably just as bad as MDMA in terms of ability to cause tolerance.

Also methylone and mephedrone both work in the exact same way as MDMA.

Cheers for the clarification. :)

Does anybody else find it disturbing that drug use has become so common and so accepted in Irish culture. I for one have never smoked or used drugs so I can't claim to know the 'benefit' of any of these but I just feel its taken nearly no time at all from going from knocking down drug dealers doors in the late 80's early 90's to suddenly seeing some smoking hash, or snorting a line and not passing a second glance. when did it all become so normal?

My tax was out from MAY2006 till last month. I have been driving since without a current driving licence since MAY 2005

I have to say for someone who takes the moral high ground on drug use you seem to be very easy going about laws when they suit you:eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

sunnyse wrote: »
    I have to say for someone who takes the moral high ground on drug use you seem to be very easy going about laws when they suit you:eek::D
    Good cross referencing/stalking. Again with the attacking the OP rather than the real issue. Well done Junkie.

Mods as OP can I request this thread be closed. I didn't intend for this to turn into a "preferrential drug and recovery" thread.

Thanks

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

sunnyse wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:

ah FFS.
    I cant believe I wasted all that hot air on her ilk.
    :D

Good cross referencing/stalking.

It's hardly stalking when both threads are beside each other in after hours:rolleyes:

It's not a dampened sex drive, it's just really hard to come. Is it in Naked Lunch where they're taking spice (fictional drug) and she's saying that your man wouldn't be able to come and why would she need to come? She's on spice.

come on?

:eek::eek::eek:

You can't close a good thread just coz it went off topic for a while?

Good cross referencing/stalking. Again with the attacking the OP rather than the real issue. Well done Junkie.

Mods as OP can I request this thread be closed. I didn't intend for this to turn into a "preferrential drug and recovery" thread.

Thanks

Translation : "I have lost the moral high ground and can no longer bang on about the illegality of what these people are doing in the face of my own illegal activities."

Cat, yeah?

• Advertisement

Anyway, back to the topic!

I think that Irish people are less fond of prohibition than most other countries.

BZP is still legal! we're one of a very small number of countries.

Yeah, i know bzp is ****, but it's a step in the right direction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Ah, how refreshing, another drugs thread! How long has it been?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Not paying Motor tax can hardly be compared to funding one of the most violent and aggressive illegal industries in ireland. Surely as a Moderator of the Forum you should be trying to take the moral highground as ye all call it.

Anyway, back to the topic!

I think that Irish people are less fond of prohibition than most other countries.

BZP is still legal! we're one of a very small number of countries.

Yeah, i know bzp is ****, but it's a step in the right direction!

I thought there was legislation coming through to add BZP to the banned list?

Not a massive fan of it myself.

• Advertisement

Not paying Motor tax can hardly be compared to funding one of the most violent and aggressive illegal industries in ireland. Surely as a Moderator of the Forum you should be trying to take the moral highground as ye all call it.

Firstly I am not a Moderator of After Hours, i am just a poster here.

Secondly i am not going to take any preplanned route in any thread....rather i am going to offer my honest opinion and experience in any thread i choose to get involved in.

Also, if you are going to take the high ground about illegalities it is best to keep your own tax/license issues to youself.

Not paying Motor tax can hardly be compared to funding one of the most violent and aggressive illegal industries in ireland.

Lulz

I thought there was legislation coming through to add BZP to the banned list?

Not a massive fan of it myself.

yeah, like it has been for the last 3 years! :D

yeah, like it has been for the last 3 years! :D

Maybe the fact that its causing feck all problems is the reason they are slow in banning it. Also its kinda self regulating, the comedown is so harsh that you won`t want it again for a good while. :D

Actually, researchers are very interested in them, mainly to help people with autism (and also possibly other conditions that could be helped by increased empathy).

I'm sure you know already that MDMA is being used in a trial to treat PTSD.
    Did it not take MAPS years to get that study approved?

And this is for medicinal use, not recreational...

Synthetic recreational drugs are always the byproducts of medicinal research. The problem is they're not developed specifically for recreational use, which means issues such as long term side effects etc. aren't considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

haha big lol @ Quazzie2002

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

another lol at Quazzie2002

no driving license for over 3 years!!!
    That's a pretty serious offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I wonder should a Boards.ie Moderator be promoting drug use?

Won't someone please think of the children?

Did it not take MAPS years to get that study approved?

And this is for medicinal use, not recreational...

Synthetic recreational drugs are always the byproducts of medicinal research. The problem is they're not developed specifically for recreational use, which means issues such as long term side effects etc. aren't considered.

I would have thought that they'd be even more concerned about long-term effects ect.

Since a medicinal drug is gonna be used every day, while a recreational drug is only gonna be used (hopefully) every so often.

Think about it. Valium is a drug licenced for medicinal use. Alcohol is not. They both do the exact same job (bind to your GABA receptors).

I somehow get the impression if alcohol was put forth as a treatment for general anxiety it'd fail. It's ok to take once every so often but for daily use it would have too many negative consequences.

I somehow get the impression if alcohol was put forth as a treatment for general anxiety it'd fail. It's ok to take once every so often but for daily use it would have too many negative consequences.

Insert: Cannabis/MDMA/LSD/COKE/Amphetamines. same sentance.:pac:

Anyone getting that friday feeling yet.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement