Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the popularisation and normalising of drug use!

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    L-Tryptophan is available in health shops here, however, and it serves essentially the same purpose.

I asked the IMB about L-Tryptophan just to confirm its legality,
    Here is what they said.

Thank you for your email. I checked the answer with one of our assessors and can confirm the following answer:

In the absence of authorized products this substance is considered as a new active substance, and any product containing such a new, previously unauthorized, substance would be automatically confined to control as a prescription only medicine.

I trust this would be satisfactory.

Regards
    R*** *********

Administrator

Irish Medicines Board | Bord Leigheasra na hÉireann

They can cover a lot of stuff with this answer. :rolleyes:
    What health shops have you seen it in btw? I haven`t come across it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

you in dublin?

the one on grafton street that's not holland and barrett. (at the end, near subway) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

vinylmesh wrote: »
    I would have thought that they'd be even more concerned about long-term effects ect.

Since a medicinal drug is gonna be used every day, while a recreational drug is only gonna be used (hopefully) every so often.
    Perhaps, but the dose will almost certainly be greater. But anyway, my point is that a drug developed with medical use in mind isn't ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

vinylmesh wrote: »
    you in dublin?

the one on grafton street that's not holland and barrett. (at the end, near subway) ;)

I`m not in Dublin , but thanks for the info anyways, I can get someone to pick me up some. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Perhaps, but the dose will almost certainly be greater. But anyway, my point is that a drug developed with medical use in mind isn't ideal.

In most cases the recreational dose is greater, in some cases it's about the same and in some cases it's actually less (think tranquilisers and the like)

I see what you mean... (e.g if only a mild dose is needed for medicinal purposes then they choose a drug with side-effects at higher doses to discourage recreational use.)

where the medicinal dose is not far off the recreational dose good "safe" drugs ARE developed (think opiate painkillers for people with chronic pain).

Also they often develop a drug but never release it coz it's too "abusable". This drug might then catch on.

the cannabinoid technology you see in certain popular "smoking blends" (not spice ;) ) owes it's existance to modern medicine............................... i've said too much :eek:

Advertisement