Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bohernabreena Reservoir

Options
  • 30-07-2008 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Howaya chaps.
    My first foray at fly fishing last night didn't go exactly to plan. After a grilling from Mr. T. Butler because the licences we had were actually '07s allthough we bought them in March '08 from Baumanns Stillorgan. Thank God we had our jubilee 2008 patches or I fear we would have been frog Marched off the reservoir at the business end of a shotgun! After Tony settled down we had a good ould chat. I would hate to be poaching up there! Jesus I'd value my life at more then €10! We didn't really know where to fish and we were on foot so we just messed around at the far left of the dam wall for a while. I took my rod out of my bag only to find it broken in 2 places. I blame the boot of my mates car because It had been fine the day before when I was practicing (getting caught in everything) in my back garden. We did a bit but the wind was coming towards us so it was a bit all over the place then it lashed rain and we were in shorts. Definately want to try more because the day before my fishing companion moler was having great craic with the fly the day before in Milltown while I was sitting there waiting for my worm to drown.

I don't expect anyone to disclose their favourite spots but where's a general good spot to try on the reservoir? We can drive next time because we were made privvy to the secret code!

And any good spots to spin on the dodder itself? Trout have no interest in anything but airborn foodstuffs at the moment.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Ryanzo

Some nice trout in here, fly fishing only and thanks to mrT it will stay that way!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Roll on March 1st!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 PETEMCL2003

how much does the season permit here cost, i rang yesterday and got no answer to the office that sells them.
    is it a good venue as its only up the road from me and i want to start fly fishing this year

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

The Dodder Anglers Association covers both the river and the 2 reservoirs at Bohernabreena.
    Their permits are available in the main Dublin tackle shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 PETEMCL2003

do you know which shop and how much. i doubt tallaght rod and gun do them as they dont do blessington permits.
    all the cfb say is: Permits can be obtained from : Dublin Corporation, Engineering Department, Block 1, Floor 3, New Civic Offices, Wood Quay, Dublin 8, Tel: 6722301

• Advertisement

As far as I can remember I have bought Dodder AA cards in various years in Rorys, Southside, Tallaght Rod & Gun. Just ask when you are in.

By the way. The trout in Bohernabreena are not a pushover. They're wild, the flylife is small in size (affects hook size) and the trees behind are very close when you backcast. So you can expect a very challenging time, with some of the best tasting trout in Ireland as the reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

was up there early at the weekend.
    Lot's of trout rising 10am-12.30'ish. Pretty quiet after that
    Missed 3 small trout, but no other interest apart from that.
    they are fussy little buggers....

zacmorris wrote: »
    was up there early at the weekend.
    Lot's of trout rising 10am-12.30'ish. Pretty quiet after that
    Missed 3 small trout, but no other interest apart from that.
    they are fussy little buggers....

Was that the upper or lower reservoir?

'twas the upper.

zacmorris wrote: »
    'twas the upper.

Aaah, that's my favourite of the two.
    Smaller trout, but wilder in every way, and lots of them.

• Advertisement

yeah, much nicer spot.
    do you have any tips for flies there?

guna go up and tackle the buggers again on sunday :)

Small black midges in the surface sizes 14 - 20
    Sedges on surface after dark
    Larger subsurface flies & nymphs sizes 12 - 16

Useful Patterns: black spider, silver body black spider, midge pupa, bibio, partridge & green spider, black & peacock spider

Thanks coolwings,

Will have a shot at that.
    They have been jus laughing at me up untill now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Was up there this morning. Both lakes are very low, especially the lower lake. They seem to be draining water out. Do they do this regularly? What effect will it have on the fishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

might be a stupid question, but im a n00b at the fishing, but is this reservoir any good for coarse fishing or is it just trout/flyfishing? thanks

It's an acid water, coarse fish would not do well in it. This pretty much applies to all mountainous streams and mountain lakes coming off peat and rock.
    The species present there are trout and minnows.

For decent coarse fishing you need to look to lowland and farmland drained waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

gline wrote: »
    might be a stupid question, but im a n00b at the fishing, but is this reservoir any good for coarse fishing or is it just trout/flyfishing? thanks

Have a look here for futher info: http://www.fishingireland.net/fishing/salmonandtrout/dublin/bohernabreena.htm

Headin up this eve, been a few weeks since I was last up.
    Looking forward, hopefully it stays overcast for the eve...

Advertisement