Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightclub refuses fat girls

Options
  • 30-07-2008 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Tazdedub

We have seen threads on here giving out about bouncers not letting people in for various reason but check out this story about a nightclub in Jersey
    Jersey nightclub bans girls for being 'too fat'

By Laurie Hanna 29/07/2008

A group of girls hoping to enjoy a fun night out were refused entry to a club - for being too fat.

Police were called to calm the situation after they say the manager told them to "go away and lose some weight".

Georgina Mason, 23, who was among the group, was left feeling "disgusted" by the ban.

She said: "About five or six or us got there about 11.30pm on Saturday and the bouncers said we were not allowed in because we were too big.

"I told them not to be ridiculous and asked to speak to the manager. He would not look at me directly but said they'd received too many complaints about fat people. He told me to 'go and lose some weight before you come in - fat people are bad for business'.

"I was disgusted he had the nerve to say this. My friend, who is only a size 14, was not allowed in either."

Helen Warner witnessed the storm outside the Havana Club in St Helier, Jersey.

Helen, who says she will never set foot in the club again, said: "I heard the manager say 'Go away and lose some weight, love'. I can't believe what happened."

Altogether, 20 women have complained to police and a Facebook protest page has been set up. But yesterday manager Martin Sayers defended his controversial decision.

He said: "We got a lot of people that I'd classify as morbidly obese and we were getting complaints.

"I am deeply apologetic but business is not good at the minute and I was trying to protect my business.

"If this highlights the problem of obesity, then perhaps some good has come of this.

"I am overweight myself. I did not do this to hurt anyone."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

It must have been embarrassing being told you were too fat in front of a couple of people.

Wonder why she went to the meedja!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Looks like business is about to get worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Damn time too! fat people always eat ALL the pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

All they have to do is put the entrance at the top of some stairs and they wont have this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Finally somebody makes a stand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

DeBeere wrote: »
    Looks like business is about to get worse...
    pfft, no publicity is bad publicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Wonder what the complainst were?

Fire hazard, blocking bars, wedged in toilet cubicles, belly slapping tables?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Tazdedub

I wonder if Coppers might introduce this policy. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

If we can just ban the ugly ones now as we'll be laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

I don't think much of the guy's managerial insight. "Business is bad. Let's ban people with large appetites."

Lousy bald people, cluttering up my wig shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Great work, I admire this noble knights crusade against fat chicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

gogglebok wrote: »
    "Business is bad. Let's ban people with large appetites."
    huh? It's a night club, not a restaurant.

I don't think much of the guy's managerial insight. "Business is bad. Let's ban people with large appetites."
    Who the hell goes to a night club for dinner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Lolz they are talking bout it on newstalk now.Fat people take up more space,thats bad for business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

they should get their bouncers to wear NO FAT CHICKS t-shirts instead of suits. they would get the message around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Lousy bald people, cluttering up my wig shop.

Its a nightclub not a restaurant.

If they were banning alcoholics I would understand your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

At last! A night club with no fat birds!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Best. Club. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Sounds like my kinda club!

I think I know were we're all going for the next boards beers!

• Advertisement

I don't see anything hugely wrong with this. If a nightclub didn't let people who smoked in, that wouldn't cause much uproar, yet essentially this isn't a million miles away from it.

Anyone who has seen Super Size Me may remember the scene where they are discussing smoking, and how it is perfectly acceptable to tell people they shouldn't smoke, its bad for them,etc. One person then remarks "how long will it take before we can tell people to stop being fat? That it's bad for them, and they should try to get healthy"

This will happen...

eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Alcohol has calories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I guess Snyper won't be frequenting that bar anymore!! We all know he likes a larger specimen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

right on brother

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Alcohol has calories.
    And?

Fat people get the same size drinks as everyone else. Your orignial post still doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Fat ****ers??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Needs more pix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Magpie!

St Helier is one of the deadest towns in the world. (Chipper shut at 9pm - WTF??)

There's probably only about 2 dozen people on the whole island who would want to go to a nightclub.

I can't see how turning anyone away would make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭djsctt

Tough but fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement