Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightclub refuses fat girls

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

This "they choose to be fat" argument is flawed too. If you're significantly overweight due to years of eating junkfood as a child, well it's not your fault if your parents fed you crap. As a kid, you're not the food buyer or preparer; you don't have the lowdown on what's nutritious and what isn't.

Sure, once you reach adulthood you're in a position to do something about it - but it's a difficult cycle to break. It's not like you can just turn on or off a switch. People are being too black and white here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 giddynurse

Mairt wrote: »
    Q; What does a fat chic and a Honda 50 have in common?.

A; They'll both give you a good ride, but you wouldn't want your mates to see you with one.

:D

i wouldnt say fat people are good in the sack..

bag of potatoes anyone?

hehehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Imagine in a restaurant "Excuse me Waiter, Could you ask that morbidly obese Lady to move, the sheer size of her is offending me".

I LOLLLLLEDDD :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Dudess wrote: »
    You can defend that, but you can't exactly complain if a discrimination suit is filed. It IS discriminatory to refuse to let someone in simply because you disagree with their lifestyle choices.

No, a discrimination case would be fine. It would involve a nice amount of publicity and at the end of it they'd be lucky not to have to pay my fees. Judge would possibly make me pay for my own but they would almost certainly be paying for theirs.

They've no grounds for special or punitive damages as they are doing their best to publicise what happened.

Anyway it's not discriminatory to refuse fat people. I just have to make sure I refuse fat men too.

It could very easily be construed as a reasonable precaution in the interests of Health and Safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Which is not 100% true as genetics play a big part. I think the argument that it's ok to slag fat people because it's their own doing is really weak, just people looking for to justify their dickheadedness. Just my opinion. Personally, I'm not sexually attracted to peple who offer 'more to love' and it does annoy me when I see someone reading up about dieting whilst stuffing their face with crap, but that doesn't mean I've a right to judge them as lazy or treat them like crap. I'm not going to judge them near as harshly for being over-weight as I am going to judge the people who put over-weight people down to feel better about themselves (which in my experience, those who are most insecure put others down about the thing they themselves feel most insecure about.)

I never once recall having slagged a fat person?

Nor am I judging others to make myself feel better.

• Advertisement

There's a big difference between disencouraging obesity and treating people like ****.

Not in this case there isn't at all. He didn't want huge women in his club so he refused them. He gave them an honest answer.

If I point out something to someone and it's a true fact I'm not being mean spirited just because they don't like what they hear.

I've black hair. If someone points this out it's a statement of fact. If I weighed 25 stone and it was pointed out big deal?

How's that hurtful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Naos, I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to countless nameless lads on AH and in the real world (and girls too) who have done this.

Fair enough Acid. I agree with you about people slagging others, obviously that's not the right way of going about things and I'd never do it. Those lads/lasses are assh0les.

However, obesity is real, it is here and we are becoming too comfortable with it, which is not good.

See post below...

Why is it that any derogarotory comment about someone else is apparently solely made to improve the posters ego.

Facile argument.

• Advertisement

Dinter wrote: »
    Not in this case there isn't at all. He didn't want huge women in his club so he refused them. He gave them an honest answer.

If I point out something to someone and it's a true fact I'm not being mean spirited just because they don't like what they hear.

I've black hair. If someone points this out it's a statement of fact. If I weighed 25 stone and it was pointed out big deal?

How's that hurtful?

It's his own private business and he has every right to discriminate them (not that discrimination in this case is good, but he still has the right to do it.) But he did put them down: 'come back when you lose some weight' -it's a nasty way of telling someone they're overweight and I was pointing out the irony that he was pointing out their 'faults' in a bitchy way when he had the exact same faults. My main point is about guys in AH (and in the real world) and girls too who, just like the nightclub owner, point out the faults in others and expecting their own to be over-looked.
    Perhaps society has gotten too comfortable with people eating themselves into intensive care and this sort of attitude, that it's not acceptable or attractive, should be encouraged.

This was what my comment about disencouraging obesity and treating people like shít was directed at. Maybe you're not the type of person who would call someone fat and claim you were doing them a favour by 'motivating' them to lose weight, but there would be people who would say this (ie. thicks) and this was directed at them.

Why is it that any derogarotory comment about someone else is apparently solely made to improve the posters ego.

Facile argument.

I didn't say that, did I? I did say that in my experience people putting others down is as a result of their own insecurities, obviously not always, but mainly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

this is disgraceful

That is all

Care to elaborate there?

My main point is about guys in AH (and in the real world) and girls too who, just like the nightclub owner, point out the faults in others and expecting their own to be over-looked.

Yes but all I'm saying is that pointing out other peoples faults is not always solely done to make the person pointing them out feel better. Sometimes it's just fair comment.
    Maybe you're not the type of person who would call someone fat and claim you were doing them a favour by 'motivating' them to lose weight, but there would be people who would say this (ie. thicks) and this was directed at them.

No I wouldn't say anything to anyone about being fat. It's their own business what they do. Still I think that's why things like this on AH always get such overboard responses. People say things here that politeness would stop them saying irl. It's not that they'd be "afraid" to say it more so than it's not their place or it'd be really rude. Apart from some obviously overboard replies AH is as close to what people actually think when all their social graces and politeness are stripped away.

I find it funny that if I passed an obese person on the street I'd think, "wow they're obese". However I've a really really overweight friend but if I'm ever describing her it's "she's quite big" or "she'd be a bit overweight but really sound". Totally play it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭STUBBORNGIRL

Naos wrote: »
    Marti101 - Where did anyone say they looked like Brad Pitt?

Again, looks on the most part are genetic. Being overweight as a result of overeating and underexercising is not.

i disagree - there are lots of skinny people out there that are not that good looking - spots on their face - why dont they get rid of them ....ah maybe because they have tried everything and cant!

Being rude about fat people is the same as being rude about people with acne and calling them ugly! People may be trying to change but cant - or are finding it difficult!! What is your point? and you can be big boned - which is genetic - it is also to do with the environment you grew up in - your lifestyle of habits - I doubt it very much that fat people choose to be that way - and some are lazy and wouldnt walk to the shop and that is their problem - but i do exercise and I eat healthily most of the time but i like my chocolate and find it hard to give up - just like a smoker addicted to cigarettes - doesnt make me any less healthy - i could run and not get out of breath but i dont see why people like you come on a thread like this and make assumptions and condemn people for being fat when you do not know their circumstances!

I hope everything is hunky dory in your life and you have no problems! i personally would prefer to be fat than to be thin and addicted to heroin or have any other serious ailment! no one is perfect and as long as you remember that you wont go far wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

i disagree - there are lots of skinny people out there that are not that good looking - spots on their face - why dont they get rid of them ....ah maybe because they have tried everything and cant!

Being rude about fat people is the same as being rude about people with acne and calling them ugly! People may be trying to change but cant - or are finding it difficult!! What is your point? and you can be big boned - which is genetic - it is also to do with the environment you grew up in - your lifestyle of habits - I doubt it very much that fat people choose to be that way - and some are lazy and wouldnt walk to the shop and that is their problem - but i do exercise and I eat healthily most of the time but i like my chocolate and find it hard to give up - just like a smoker addicted to cigarettes - doesnt make me any less healthy - i could run and not get out of breath but i dont see why people like you come on a thread like this and make assumptions and condemn people for being fat when you do not know their circumstances!

I hope everything is hunky dory in your life and you have no problems! i personally would prefer to be fat than to be thin and addicted to heroin or have any other serious ailment! no one is perfect and as long as you remember that you wont go far wrong!

what a load of old tosh

eat less and you won't be fat. crapping on about loving chocolate blah blah blah eat less and you won't be fat it's that simple

do you not think thin people love chocolate? but they discipline themselves not to eat it they don't whine about not being able to keep the big fecking mac out of their mouth.

be fat and proud or stfu and lose the big mac.

ntlbell wrote: »
    what a load of old tosh

eat less and you won't be fat. crapping on about loving chocolate blah blah blah eat less and you won't be fat it's that simple

do you not think thin people love chocolate? but they discipline themselves not to eat it they don't whine about not being able to keep the big fecking mac out of their mouth.

be fat and proud or stfu and lose the big mac.

God - eat less and you wont be fat - where have i heard that one before - seriously you think you can just say a few words like that and hey presto! Get a gip would you!

Why dont i tell you something - if you have nothing nice to say then dont bother saying it at all ---- a lot of people (mainly shallow men) on AH would do well to listen to that advice!

i disagree - there are lots of skinny people out there that are not that good looking
    I don't understand - what has that got to do with "ugly" people not having any control over how they look, and fat people having control over how they look?
    spots on their face - why dont they get rid of them ....ah maybe because they have tried everything and cant!
    Again, I'm lost. And if you're comparing them to fat people who have tried everything yet can't lose weight, sorry but that's not true. It IS possible to lose weight - sure it's difficult, but it's possible.
    Being rude about fat people is the same as being rude about people with acne and calling them ugly!
    I agree - it's not right to insult anyone purely on the basis of their appearance.
    People may be trying to change but cant - or are finding it difficult!!
    Yep, a very overweight person might be actually doing something about it, but these things take time.
    you can be big boned - which is genetic
    Yes you can - some people have a broad build, even without flab. However it's when a person's overweight and they use the "big-boned" excuse - that's just silly and delusional.
    it is also to do with the environment you grew up in - your lifestyle of habits
    I agree - and you can't just switch these off. But you CAN do something about it. It's not at all easy - there is a lot of psychological crap at play, but it's doable, not impossible.
    I doubt it very much that fat people choose to be that way - and some are lazy and wouldnt walk to the shop and that is their problem - but i do exercise and I eat healthily most of the time but i like my chocolate and find it hard to give up
    If that's the case though, you're eating WAY too much chocolate. Seriously, if you're an otherwise healthy eater who exercises but you're overweight due to the amount of chocolate you eat, then simply cutting down on the amount of chocolate you eat will make all the difference. Sure, you may love chocolate and find it difficult to give up, but you don't have to give it up, just reduce it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

There's a guy who goes to my gym and was very overweight, I'd see him everynight I was there since when I first starting going myself he was about 17/18 stone i'd say and everynight he'd be there for 2 hours or more really working, he kept it up and up and when I chatted to him one night and said fair play for putting in so much work he said.

"I'm not going to be ridiculed or look like this anymore"

Chap has now lost the majority of the weight and looks happier than ever, overweight people can change there diet and with the work the weight it's a matter of wanting it. If you don't and your happy the way you are that's perfectly fine aswell....but people will always taunt/slag but you'll get that anywhere and everywhere even skinny blokes will get it for being too skinny/too ugly etc etc.

• Advertisement

God - eat less and you wont be fat - where have i heard that one before - seriously you think you can just say a few words like that and hey presto! Get a gip would you!

Why dont i tell you something - if you have nothing nice to say then dont bother saying it at all ---- a lot of people (mainly shallow men) on AH would do well to listen to that advice!

No I can't say a few words and hey presto, it's say a few words to ONESELF and then work like a fecking dog to get what YOU want.

or just be a happy and proud fat person but don't whine about how hard it is to not eat chocolate everyone knows how hard it is to be disciplined as i said skinny/thin/"normal" people have the exact same wants and would love to pig out on chocolate all day long but they don't

i didn't say anything "not nice" i was just stating a fact.

i don't see what being shallow has to do with it i don't care if people are ugly fat skinny or whatever as long as there not moaning about it while doing nothing to help themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭barnacle

I think it's ironic that someone who's "overweight" himself, bans fatties from his club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Anyway I was watching Dispatches last night on C4 and the reporter was saying that a THIRD of the UK population is classified as obese. A THIRD!! Perhaps society has gotten too comfortable with people eating themselves into intensive care and this sort of attitude, that it's not acceptable or attractive, should be encouraged.
    Not acceptable or attractive to who?

Smoking is not acceptable or attractive to a lot of people but you don't see bars banning people from their establishments telling them to come back when they've given up, no they actually build special areas where they can have a smoke. And that ties into the argument that the management of the club was acting in the best interest of the fat girls, no they weren't. They were just being dicks.

Yes but all I'm saying is that pointing out other peoples faults is not always solely done to make the person pointing them out feel better. Sometimes it's just fair comment.
    It may be a "true" comment but it wouldn't be fair to point out someone's faults just for the sake of it. You'd have to ask yourself what exactly do you hope to gain from telling them.

and you can be big boned
    No you can't, it's one of the lamest excuses that fat people use for being over weight. In all my life I've never seen a fat skeleton and somehow I doubt I ever will.

I disagree Bazmo. Some people are more broadly built. There are some girls who will never be petite, even without any flab, because they literally have big bones.
    But it's when the big boned excuse is thrown out by people who are obviously carrying excess fat - that's a load of bollocks.
    barnacle wrote: »
    I think it's ironic that someone who's "overweight" himself, bans fatties from his club.
    His own weight has no bearing on business though - and that's what this decision was all about.

barnacle wrote: »

He's not going to cause a financial dent in his club by being fat

he's not swanning around the dancefloor in his club

he doesn't care if yer fat or not he cares what finaicial affect you will have on his night club him being fat has none...

loads of obese women prancing around does.

nothing ironic in it at all

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't understand - what has that got to do with "ugly" people not having any control over how they look, and fat people having control over how they look?

Again, I'm lost. And if you're comparing them to fat people who have tried everything yet can't lose weight, sorry but that's not true. It IS possible to lose weight - sure it's difficult, but it's possible.

I agree - it's not right to insult anyone purely on the basis of their appearance.

Yep, a very overweight person might be actually doing something about it, but these things take time.

Yes you can - some people have a broad build, even without flab. However it's when a person's overweight and they use the "big-boned" excuse - that's just silly and delusional.

I agree - and you can't just switch these off. But you CAN do something about it. It's not at all easy - there is a lot of psychological crap at play, but it's doable, not impossible.

If that's the case though, you're eating WAY too much chocolate. Seriously, if you're an otherwise healthy eater who exercises but you're overweight due to the amount of chocolate you eat, then simply cutting down on the amount of chocolate you eat will make all the difference. Sure, you may love chocolate and find it difficult to give up, but you don't have to give it up, just reduce it.

people who neglect themselves and look ugly in the process can do something about it! and yes ugly people can look better - have you not seen that programme - the swan - there you go! there are means and ways around everything. i used this for comparative purposes and it has nothing to do with fat people being able to lose the weight! My point is i dont see why all these people feel the right to judge fat people! Simple as!

I was always told one chocolate bar a day never did any harm and i live by that so i dont think that is too much chocolate do you?? Food affects people in different ways/ People with high metabolisms will burn that one bar off quicker than i will - so i dont see where the wrong is in this one bar of chocolate! personally i would get a migraine if i didnt have chocolate on a daily basis - call it an excuse if you wish but i would rather eat that bar than have a migraine!

I just dont think it is right in people coming on here and just saying lose weight so blase!!! it is not that easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

and you can be big boned - which is genetic
    You can be "big boned", but that has little to do with fatness.

People with "big bones" are also known as "large framed" people. You can spot them a mile away because they're huge in stature.

Being fat is something entirely separate to this, and it's very obvious when someone has a big frame and when someone is fat. You see, fat is visible. You know when people have hands and elbows that look all soft and rounded, and even some people have knuckles and elbows which recess into their skin instead of stick out? That's overweight. Someone with "big bones" but who's not fat, will look like a normal person - i.e. they'll have some muscle definition. Having "big bones" will not make you soft and squishy. That's fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

ntlbell wrote: »
    He's not going to cause a financial dent in his club by being fat

he's not swanning around the dancefloor in his club

he doesn't care if yer fat or not he cares what finaicial affect you will have on his night club him being fat has none...

loads of obese women prancing around does.

nothing ironic in it at all

It would be ironic if he himself, was refused entry somewhere else because of his weight.

peo

I was always told one chocolate bar a day never did any harm and i live by that so i dont think that is too much chocolate do you?? Food affects people in different ways/ People with high metabolisms will burn that one bar off quicker than i will - so i dont see where the wrong is in this one bar of chocolate! personally i would get a migraine if i didnt have chocolate on a daily basis - call it an excuse if you wish but i would rather eat that bar than have a migraine!

I just dont think it is right in people coming on here and just saying lose weight so blase!!! it is not that easy

It has nothing to do with how many bars of chocolate you eat.

Weight is gained by eating more calories than you use.

so if you need 1500 a day and you eat 1200 and the 1200 included a bar of chocolate you will more than likely lose weight

the bar of choclate is not the problem the amount of calories on a daily/weekly basis is how you gain weight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Haha.....I just received this email......it's doing the rounds atm

COPPERS (CFJ) nightclub bans girls for being 'too fat'

By Laurie Hanna 29/07/2008

A group of girls hoping to enjoy a fun night out were refused entry to a club - for being too fat.

Police were called to calm the situation after they say the manager told them to "go away and lose some weight".

Georgina Mason, 23, who was among the group, was left feeling "disgusted" by the ban.

She said: "About five or six or us got there about 11.30pm on Saturday and the bouncers said we were not allowed in because we were too big.

"I told them not to be ridiculous and asked to speak to the manager. He would not look at me directly but said they'd received too many complaints about fat people. He told me to 'go and lose some weight before you come in - fat people are bad for business'.

"I was disgusted he had the nerve to say this. My friend, who is only a size 14, was not allowed in either."

Helen Warner witnessed the storm outside the CFJ, Harcourt Street, Dublin.

Helen, who says she will never set foot in the club again, said: "I heard the manager say 'Go away and lose some weight, love'. I can't believe what happened."

Altogether, 20 women have complained to police and a Facebook protest page has been set up. But yesterday manager Martin Sayers defended his controversial decision.

He said: "We got a lot of people that I'd classify as morbidly obese and we were getting complaints.

"I am deeply apologetic but business is not good at the minute and I was trying to protect my business.

"If this highlights the problem of obesity, then perhaps some good has come of this.

"I am overweight myself. I did not do this to hurt anyone."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement