Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightclub refuses fat girls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

yeah but what if they only feel unhappy because of the way society see's them! i think i am fine the way i am but threads like these make me mad! they make me think that i have to transform into a skinny person to be accepted - this leads then to anorexia and bulimia and all the sorts

And i am not making excuses for the way i am!!!
    If you have a problem with people making nasty comments about those who are overweight, you are right to. But don't take it personally.

If you have a problem with people arguing that a lot of overweight people use excuses, then you've just got to face facts - these excuses are made, it's a reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

ITS FRUIT!!! GET A GRIP!!! would i be better with rashers and sausages?? now come on!

I have a grip thank you very much. Why so aggressive?

No, you would not be better with rashers and eggs. I just think it's a lot of fruit and you'd be better to have something like porridge or an egg in the morning, save fruit for your snacks.
    Malari wrote: »
    It's ok to have sugar in the morning, you metabolise it quite quickly and need it to get you going. Fruit is a natural source of sugar and it sounds like a very healthy breakfast to me.

You need it to keep you going? Explain please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Wow, this one has wandered a bit.
    I'd back the club owner. He's quite entitled to refuse admission for ANY reason which is not covered by discrimination law. He's been very upfront about it, and has made it clear that it's a commercial decision.

My only problem is with the bouncer for telling these women WHY they were being refused. They were under no obligation to give a reason, and imo they shouldn't have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Piste wrote: »
    Why do you hate fat people? Like...why do you care?

My boyfriend is fatphobic (clearly I have a fantastic personality >_>) and I don't understand why a stranger's size bothers him so much.

I used to go out with a girl who wouldn't eat if there was a fat person in the room :eek:

Exactly!!! and in response to another persons post - I dont get migraines every day so therefore how does it cause it in the first place????? :confused:

It is withdrawals symptoms that gives me the migraine so yes it is an addiction - jsut like cigarettes!

You said you did get one every day?

Choclate or the lack of (sugar) can cause migraine's the fact that the choclate makes it go away with indicate the cause?

when i bang my head of a wall it hurts when i stop the pain goes away.. go figure..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

It's ok to have sugar in the morning, you metabolise it quite quickly and need it to get you going. Fruit is a natural source of sugar and it sounds like a very healthy breakfast to me.

Yes but the energy gained is as a "rush" and gone soon.

You'd be better off with a slow release breakfast like porridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Naos wrote: »
    I have a grip thank you very much. Why so aggressive?

No, you would not be better with rashers and eggs. I just think it's a lot of fruit and you'd be better to have something like porridge or an egg in the morning, save fruit for your snacks.

You need it to keep you going? Explain please.

I said get you going. Some sugars are necessary because you have depleted a lot of your carbohydrates after not eating for maybe 12 hours overnight. Yes, porridge is good, it's slow release carbohydrate, but having some fruit or a cereal with sugar in it fine.

Malari, if you are overweight and trying to lose it - How is eating cereal with unnecessary sugar in it fine?

There is enough sugar in that processed crap in the first place without having to put more on top of it.

And 4 pieces of fruit for breakfast is a bit over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Whatever about the calories your teeth will get destroyed eating that amount of fruit in one meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Malari, if you are overweight and trying to lose it - How is eating cereal with unnecessary sugar in it fine?

There is enough sugar in that processed crap in the first place without having to put more on top of it.

Yes, but I would say that concentrating on the food eaten towards the end of the day is more important, where you have much less chance of burning off the energy.

• Advertisement

Dinter wrote: »
    Whatever about the calories your teeth will get destroyed eating that amount of fruit in one meal.

Agreed.
    eoin_s wrote: »
    Yes, but I would say that concentrating on the food eaten towards the end of the day, where you have much less chance of burning off the energy is more important.

Where you planning on finishing that sentence off?

OK, I didn't see that it was 4 pieces, that's excessive!

And I didn't say adding sugar to cereal, I said cereal, which has sugars in it anyway. It is recommended by the nutrition institute - you don't need to have Uber-Sugar-Fizzy-Coco-Loops for it to be classed as cereal!

ntlbell wrote: »
    I used to go out with a girl who wouldn't eat if there was a fat person in the room :eek:
    That's just being a **** about it.

Dudess wrote: »
    That's just being a **** about it.

Well it used to turn her off her food, I can sort of see her point, if someone with a voice box was sitting in front of me it would put me off my fag.

You're seeing the results of (abusing) food in front of your face, can be very off putting.

OK, I didn't see that it was 4 pieces, that's excessive!

And I didn't say adding sugar to cereal, I said cereal, which has sugars in it anyway. It is recommended by the nutrition institute - you don't need to have Uber-Sugar-Fizzy-Coco-Loops for it to be classed as cereal!

Apologies, I seemed to have read cereal with sugar as, well, cereal with sugar.

As for the four pieces, read all the posts before criticising ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Where you planning on finishing that sentence off?

Edited. Probably was a comma missing, which may ha

No its plain fruit that i eat in a bowl and prepare freshly myself ! Why??

I can't keep up with the speed of posting and just saw this one!

Haha fair enough Eoin. I agree, I try to keep my carbs to breakfast and lunch.

Anyway this has gone wildly offtopic...

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭STUBBORNGIRL

Pieces exaclty not entire fruit!

I have a slice of pineapple a kiwi a bit of mango and some strawberries - how is that over the top!

Again with the aggression. Try relax there a little.

A piece of fruit is considered an apple. That is an entire fruit. Even still, I clearly knew you didn't mean an entire pineapple.

Either way, if you're claiming to have a good diet and exercising but are still overweight and nothing is changing, then you are most likely doing something wrong, that is, your diet is not as good as you think it is or you're not getting as much exercise as you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pieces exaclty not entire fruit!

I have a slice of pineapple a kiwi a bit of mango and some strawberries - how is that over the top!
    It's not over the top and neither is having a bar of chocolate a day. It's your overall calorie intake per day that's important.

Having chocolate and fruit everyday will add a lot to your daily calorie allowance. It's all basic maths really, you take more than you need in a day (calorie wise) and you will have a surplus, this can be done at just one sitting.

And conversely, if you take in less than you need in a day (calorie wise) you will have a shortfall and you will eventually lose weight. And with this way you could be stuffing your gob all day (with food with a low calorific value) and it'd make it look like you were one of those special people with an amazingly high metabolism, or super genes, blah blah blah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

If you are dieting and exercising but not seeing any results then it may be time to change your exercise plan a little. Or give something a shake-up. Your body may have gotten used to your current workout and has stopped improving and adapting. Not that I'm a dietician, the gym bunnies over at the Fitness Forum would have a lot more to say about that.

Diet is key to losing weight.

But on it's own it wouldn't be as effective as it would be with exercise.

How about a general "shake-up" to include a change in both diet and exercise? Adjust your eating pattern and get a new exercise program. The human body is very adaptable. We all know how you can survive with just one lung and all that. Well, if you go from eating junk and taking no exercise to a healthy eating plan and four or five training sessions a week your body will adapt to the new regime and you'll lose weight.

But say you've been doing it for a few months and you've now lost a few stone. That same program won't work for you anymore. Because of your weight loss you will need less calories everyday so you'll need to adjust your eating plan and your body has gotten used to the workout and can easily cope with it so you need to do somethng completely new and shock your body into adapting again and adjusting to the new routine.

It's an ongoing thing and you'll need to keep challenging yourself. It's not as though you can lose weight and then say "Okay, I'm healthy now, that's done.Off I go to eat doughnuts" No, you have to keep at it or you'll find yourself back in the same position you were before. If you return to old habits you will return to your old shape.

Dudess wrote: »
    But on it's own it wouldn't be as effective as it would be with exercise.

Thats why I said it was "key" Dudess ;)

@Nessa - I agree but have no clue who you are directing it at....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Neesa wrote: »
    Because of your weight loss you will need less calories everyday

Thats rather an odd statement. As you exercise you start to build muscles and you need more calories not less.

Diet is key to losing weight.

Diet's are pointless...

You need to make changes that basically you can keep up for the rest of your life.

People see diet's as something that lasts a certain amount of time or untill a goal is reached this is pointless and just causes the yo yo affect which is probably more harmful than just being overweight.

"lifestyle changes" are what's needed, not diets

Nessa

Some days I really feel like giving up and just changing my name. :)

Angryman, that's a "muscle building" issue. yes, the more muscle you have the more calories you need but a lot of women are still afrais of weight training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ntlbell wrote: »
    Diet's are pointless...

You need to make changes that basically you can keep up for the rest of your life.

People see diet's as something that lasts a certain amount of time or untill a goal is reached this is pointless and just causes the yo yo affect which is probably more harmful than just being overweight.

"lifestyle changes" are what's needed, not diets
    I think he/she meant "diet" as in your dietary requirements and not fad diets

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement