Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightclub refuses fat girls

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭stevelknievel

Dudess wrote: »
    I would say definitely "major". If someone is unhappy about themselves and overweight, losing the weight is gonna do nothing but make them feel happier about themselves.

That depends on why they're unhappy. Maybe they put too much faith in becoming thin and thinks it will be the solution to all of life's problems, that they'll be popular, more in demand, social status will go through the roof etc. When in reality if she is still not a great conversationalist or is still shy or is, in general, just a b!tch, life will still be the same as it was before. Or maybe they feel like they're hiding their true selves, and feel ashamed. Or maybe, they just miss that high they get off chocolate, and are crabby because they're not allowed it anymore. Overweight people, especially with posts like some on here, can think that world looks completely different through a thin persons eyes. Fact is the world is pretty crappy most of the time, regardless of what size you are. If chocolate, cake or even chocolate cake is your little indulgence which helps you get through the day, I say keep it up. Personally I think it's better than a pack of 20 B+H.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

I think you'll feel better by trying to improve your lot than just wallowing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Ha, apologies Neesa.

Well when I say diet I mean your regular daily eating habits long term. Thus you can have a good diet and a bad diet. I don't mean a fad diet, as thats all they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Not a problem, Noas, don't mention it :p

Diets as a concept don't work if the plan is to follow a diet and then return to your pre-diet eating habits when you've lost the desired weight. I have seen people do this. They are all yo-yo dieters.

Btw, I wasn't aiming at anyone in particular, just hypothesizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think he/she meant "diet" as in your dietary requirements and not fad diets

doh!

point still stands tho :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Neesa wrote: »
    Some days I really feel like giving up and just changing my name. :)

Angryman, that's a "muscle building" issue. yes, the more muscle you have the more calories you need but a lot of women are still afrais of weight training.

Screw that. Women with a few muscles are good. Then again I love girls who challenge me. Timidness is not something I look for :D.

Would it not be more beneficial for a person who is over weight to take it some kind of active martial art? Something like kick boxing? Then they would get fit and have the added confidence and sense of achievement that comes with self defense?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Homer

Dinter wrote: »
    I think you'll feel better by trying to improve your lot than just wallowing in swallowing it.

Fixed that for ya :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Well, I studied Tae Kwon Do for years (okay, as a TKD widow!) and afaik it doesn't add a lot of muscle. Probably because there is little resistence. A lot of stretching, though. The people doing it all their lives were very lean, but not muscular.

Then again, I could be wrong. I vaguely remember my OH being told not to lift weights, maybe I should ask for confirmation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭stevelknievel

Dinter wrote: »
    I think you'll feel better by trying to improve your lot than just wallowing in it.

True, but you could try to improve your lot by working on your own outlook/mentality by learning to play an instrument/speak a new language, by joining clubs, by meeting people, by setting personal challenges. There's many many different ways of improving your standard of living other than losing weight, and I think for too many overweight women, there's too much focus on it. Don't get me wrong, if you're at a stage that you physically can't climb a flight of stairs, then you will probably need to lose some weight before doing a lot of these things. But until then, be happy because y'know what? It really doesn't matter that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Neesa wrote: »
    Well, I studied Tae Kwon Do for years (okay, as a TKD widow!) and afaik it doesn't add a lot of muscle. Probably because there is little resistence. A lot of stretching, though. The people doing it all their lives were very lean, but not muscular.

Then again, I could be wrong. I vaguely remember my OH being told not to lift weights, maybe I should ask for confirmation though.

Muscles just develop naturally as you do push up and sit ups. With most martial arts training you won't look like a roid raging Stallone but you will strengthen your muscles and the weight loss will make them more visible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Dougalinho23

"Sorry ladies,no food here"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement