Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightclub refuses fat girls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A step to improve their health, bravo club manager, bravo!
    I don't think that was the manager's intention :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Finally! I wish they'd introduce that policy over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't think that was the manager's intention :)

Well, they had to walk home and couldn't load up on all those calories in the club so.......:D

There's a bit of trolling going on here - e.g. just throwing out "yay", "hurrah" type comments and nothing else. To those of you whom I'm talking about, you don't really give a sh1t whether there are fat girls in nightclubs, and you know their absence doesn't suddenly mean a plethora of slim hotties will descend on the club, so tone it down please.
    dee8839 wrote: »
    As long as its not just fat women they refuse entry to, fair enough. Fat men are just the same.

I disapprove of the "I'm size XXL and I love my body" people. No. You don't. Or if you do, you shouldn't. Its one thing if its baby weight, glandular or something like that. But when its just gluttony and laziness, you should not be proud. And this club owner is well within his rights to refuse such people.!
    On the basis that they're gluttonous and lazy? He surely isn't! Maybe on the basis that it's affecting business sure, but gluttony and laziness as reasons to refuse them? He'd be justly slapped with a discrimination suit so fast...

I wonder if fat men would be refused though - not being a feminazi but women are gonna be the ones who are judged on their looks more, particularly when it comes to commercial enterprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

On the basis that they're gluttonous and lazy? He surely isn't! Maybe on the basis that it's affecting business sure, but gluttony and laziness as reasons to refuse them? He'd be justly slapped with a discrimination suit so fast...

I wonder if fat men would be refused though - not being a feminazi but women are gonna be the ones who are judged on their looks more, particularly when it comes to commercial enterprise.

No I meant the glutony comment from my point of view, sorry. I mean I don't mind people who can't change their weight (or another physical characteristic) learning to accept it and love themselves. But if your obesity is your own fault, stop accepting it, change it, for your health and other reasons!

Oh he's definitely just thinking a la Krystle - more hotness, more men. More men, more women. More people more money.

And yes, I would seriously wonder if the same would be done to fat men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

True. You won't see threads in The Ladies' Lounge devoted to crassly making fun of guys' wobbly bits. Sure, it's not as if such posts don't exist, but... wow! There's no equivalent of the misogynistic language sometimes seen around Boards...
    No, they just post pictures of like the one of the penis on the barbeque.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Fat men have beer bellies. So not letting them in would be bad for business :P

Anyways, I'd say on average men consume more alcohol so attracting more men is more sound economically. Men are also more prone to only come to a nightclub chasing tail rather than for the craic/the music, so having more attractive women attracts more men. Without the chance of some action, most men would rather go to a pub I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

andyl222 wrote: »
    Well most nightclubs refuse someone if they have drunk too much, so why not if they have eaten too much. 'sorry not tonight ladies, ya seem to have a bit too much cake onboard. Come back next week maybe....'

this reminded me of the Brass Eye episode where they talked about the new drug called 'Cake'.

I loved that show :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Dudess, do you think that his decision is ok if it's a commercial one, but not if he personally finds fat women unsightly? I think he would be a fairly grim cove in either case, but as it's his club he should have whatever admission policy he chooses.

I am a feminazi, or at least a femineocon, and I would bet anything that the guy doesn't refuse fat men.

gogglebok wrote: »
    Dudess, do you think that his decision is ok if it's a commercial one, but not if he personally finds fat women unsightly? I think he would be a fairly grim cove in either case, but as it's his club he should have whatever admission policy he chooses.
    Should he? Aren't there discrimination laws?

I don't think it's exactly wonderful that those girls weren't allowed in because their appearance affects business, but business can be ugly and if you wanna stay afloat as an entrepreneur, you've got to compromise your values sometimes. However, refusing a person entry purely on the basis that their lifestyle, appearance etc doesn't appeal to you - that's unjustifiable discrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭patmac

gogglebok wrote: »
    Yeah, I think it was crappy, and the manager sounds like an asshole.

Maybe the manager shagged her the last time she was there and instructed the bouncers to not let them in under any circumstances. She asked why and the bouncer said' er cos your fat' because he couldn't think of anything else to say and hence the publicity, which the club couldn't buy. I mean what's the worse thing that could happen to this club, fat people boycott it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Should he? Aren't there discrimination laws?

It's the moral question I'm interested in, rather than the legal one.

I'm not sure the discrimination laws apply here, incidentally - I know the Irish ones are limited to race, religion, age and sexual orientation. I imagine the same is true on Jersey.

But I have a problem with the laws themselves. I think they should only apply to state-funded institutions. Private citizens should be allowed to ban people from their nightclubs for any reason, however reprehensible.

The guy did explain his reasons though, and added he wasn't being malicious. He must have considered it a worthwhile decision considering the inevitable backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Aren't there discrimination laws?
    Even if this occured in Ireland, discrimination laws wouldn't have any effect. Obesity isn't on the enshrined list, so any club would be well within its rights to enforce a "no fatties" rule.

The main issue would be opening yourself up for litigation. A refused punter could more than easily bring a case for the public embarrassment and emotional trauma that they've suffered.

They couldn't bring a defamation case because the judge would just say, "You're fat, what's defaming about pointing that out?".

Of course, if they kept a quiet little side room to do it privately in, then there would be no comeback whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Homer wrote: »
    Sweet jebus.. Who released Shamu?? :eek:

Damn the lack of thanks functionality in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Yes!

I am sick of ye lads talking about fat girls!!! If it's not fat girls it's how Foreign(Polish) women are hotter than Irish women...

Like ffs we don't complain that yer penises are too small!!!! or that the lot of ye don't know where the g spot is... OR...

I am a size 14 and proud, i have big boobs and big ass!!! I am black it comes with the genes... if you don't like it kiss my fat black ass!:D

The Irish gene pool is highly diverse so penis size varies quite dramatically from male to male and different women say the g spot is in different locations but the fun is finding out :D.

BTW: For the ignorant amongst ye the g spot feels like a rough patch inside the woman vagina. Its usually between 4 and six inches inside on the top.

Kiss my skinny white ass :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

seamus wrote: »
    Even if this occured in Ireland, discrimination laws wouldn't have any effect. Obesity isn't on the enshrined list, so any club would be well within its rights to enforce a "no fatties" rule.

Only if it's applied equally to both sexes, otherwise there could be an argument for gender discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Only if it's applied equally to both sexes, otherwise there could be an argument for gender discrimination.
    Well spotted :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Fat Transvestites FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

antodeco wrote: »
    Fat Transvestites FTW

Fecking brilliant!!!!

ROTFLMFAO

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BTW: For the ignorant amongst ye the g spot feels like a rough patch inside the woman vagina. Its usually between 4 and six inches inside on the top.

Kiss my skinny white ass :p
    It's way closer to the front than that. Try more like two inches in. If it was 4 or 6 inches in you must have bloody long fingers, a crap ruler, you're poking her cervix or you got one weird woman on your longfingered hands. Then again as you say they do vary..... :D:p

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

mehh nobody likes fat people. you know really gets on my nerves, that beth ditto one, its like omg she's fat and she's proud of it, errr why? not only does it look but it is BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Management have the right to refuse admission.

aliqueenb wrote: »
    mehh nobody likes fat people
    Plenty of people do - not everyone judges someone's personality on their lifestyle choices which don't affect others.
    They do. But if they don't have sufficient grounds, they could be facing a lawsuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

They do. But if they don't have sufficient grounds, they could be facing a lawsuit.
    I thought that admission could be refused without any grounds no?
    Personally I find this sort of amusing but i've sympathy for the women in question. Being refused by bouncers anywhere is sh*t but being refused and insulted is a bit crap. Ironic that the manager's a chuppa cheeks himself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

Some things never change eh. The same fat slagging. THANK YOU EVERYBODY!No really, thank ****ing you!! >:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Plenty of people do - not everyone judges someone's personality on their lifestyle choices which don't affect others.

i thought it was pretty much any reason they wanted to refuse entry-no runners,no trackkies,no fat chicks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Thank God I'm a fat man.

Safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

They sure do.

It'd the same with elite clubs in Ireland such as Lillies or Krystal (sp)
    only letting in the more affluent of Dublins population...

Fat
    Poor
    Ugly

It's a tough aul world...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

i'd say this goes on the whole time except the don't say " sorry, you're too fat" they make up some other excuse

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement