Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightclub refuses fat girls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Wreck wrote: »
    This is just not true. Obesity is a massive problem already, and all the studies show that it is on the increase already. This is and will continue to put a huge strain on our already underperforming health service and cost millions and millions of tax payers money. At least smokers provide extra revenue in terms of tax on cigarettes.

In the UK there are no tax on cakes and biscuits, otherwise the tax revenue would be bulging ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I for one support this nightclubs decision, freedom of speech being expressed here and also a kick in the craw of the obesity that has engorged this country! Also as Glen Quagmire said, "Fat chicks need love too, but they have to pay!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I wonder did they provide a bin liner full of popcorn for them in the alleyway?!

-c- Cinema Manager in The Simpsons.

Strange how the manager said he received complaints from customers about them, were the regulars dissapointed that the WAGS werent arriving its Jersey FFS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

I've 2 friends over 25 stone, for medical reasons, and another one who probably is about the same. One is one o my best mates, and I (10+1/2 stone) eat about twice what he does...

AFC_1903 wrote: »
    One is one o my best mates, and I (10+1/2 stone) eat about twice what he does...

I doubt that very much, unless you are some kind of Iron Man

In my view, simple science if you consume more calories than your burn = weight gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Red Alert wrote: »
    I actually like women with a fuller figure... never saw the size zero attraction myself.

Big difference between a 'fuller figure' and a fat mess tbh, and that's what most people are saying is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

hussey wrote: »

In my view, simple science if you consume more calories than your burn = weight gain.
    I'd agree in general - but there ARE those prone to excessive weight gain due to a medical condition. It's not true that there's only one reason - most of the time that one reason is applicable all right, but there are genuine exceptions.

Dudess wrote: »
    I'd agree in general - but there ARE those prone to excessive weight gain due to a medical condition. It's not true that there's only one reason - most of the time that one reason is applicable all right, but there are genuine exceptions.

I agree. But I seriously doubt the poster eats twice as much as his 25stone friend. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

But they're in the almost irrelevant minority. Things like kidney failure, liver cirrhosis and lymphatic problems usually cause the person much more pain than just weight gain and when they're (hopefully) fully recovered, there's no reason any excess weight shouldn't be lost through good diet and regular exercise. Other conditions such as Cushing's disease are so rare that they're not really worth considering in this debate.

It always amazes me how quickly the issue of 'medical conditions' comes up when discussing obesity, as if a significant proportion of obese people were overweight not because of their lifestyle but because of a mysterious, uncontrollable illness. The fact of the matter is that if you're obese, it's almost certainly because you're overeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Email doing the rounds at the moment but it says that the incident happened in Copper Face Jacks. Not bloody likely!! They've have to turn away most of their customers if that was the case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Homer wrote:
    I'm not fat, it's glandular!

Trouble is through, the "medical anomoly" line, along with the "real woman with curves" line is trotted out so often that it's lost it's credibility when used by the (relatively) few genuine cases.

The reality is masses of obese (often morbidly so) people, in complete denial of the simple reasons for their condition:
    (a) diet of crappy food
    (b) little or no exercise to counteract (a) even a little
    (c) complete denial

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Duckjob wrote: »
    Trouble is through, the "medical anomoly" line, along with the "real woman with curves" line is trotted out so often that it's lost it's credibility when used by the (relatively) few genuine cases.

The reality is masses of obese (often morbidly so) people, in complete denial of the simple reasons for their condition:
    (a) diet of crappy food
    (c) complete denial
    Too ****ing right. I hate when people start making up excuses for their weight. I was three stone over weight a while back. I was putting on weight because I was eating crap in big portions and not exercising enough.

I started eating properly and exercised more and I lost the three stone within two months. Its not hard to lose weight, and its actually harder to put on weight if you're relatively active.

I know everybody is different and that there are medical conditions out there that make it hard for people to lose weight or maintain a weight that is healthy for themselves, but surely this only affects a small minority of the population and not 50% of people in a night club for example.

Most fat/obese people are just LAZY. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

+1

If I hear another asshole complain about a 'slow metabolism' while stuffing a can of pringles down their gullet, I'll have to be held down.

When will people stop trying to bend the laws of physics to excuse their laziness and gluttony?!

I don't say this in a condescending fashion either - I'm about a 2 stone overweight but I know exactly how it got there, and I'm doing something about it!

Pies+Sofa=Lard - it really is that simple... But you'll never find anyone angrier than a porker that's made to face their own fatness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 giddynurse

Milod is completely correct here..

To be honest.. why should people get so much sympathy for being fat?
    They know what they are doing when they ram 2 tubes of jaffa cakes, and a packet of mikados into their pie hole..

These girls are being idiots .. they're just drawing more attention to themselves by raising the issue with the media..

The most effective way for them to get return on the club.. would be to disappear for 4 months.. get a healthy diet together, following by an exersize schedule.. and come back to the club, looking absolutely fabulous.. but not go in.. just make a statement and disappear..

basically.. if fat people are so miserable and sensitive about being fat.. then why dont they do something about it instead of live in denial and use the stupid of excuse of ''women have curves..'' .. that just makes women look like retards.. i have curves.. i am a size 12, with F chest.. but my god i do not have a whopper belly and bingo wings to match..

if fat people are miserable.. would they stop wasting the medias time, and do something about it..

however.. if it doesnt affect them to be fat.. then they should quit soiling nightclubs reputations, and drink at home with the rest of the gigantic individuals..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

giddynurse wrote: »
    The most effective way for them to get return on the club.. would be to disappear for 4 months.. get a healthy diet together, following by an exersize schedule.. and come back to the club, looking absolutely fabulous.. but not go in.. just make a statement and disappear..

LOL. Then the manager will claim to be right and every club will put in this policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Milod is completely correct here..

To be honest.. why should people get so much sympathy for being fat?
    They know what they are doing when they ram 2 tubes of jaffa cakes, and a packet of mikados into their pie hole..

These girls are being idiots .. they're just drawing more attention to themselves by raising the issue with the media..

basically.. if fat people are so miserable and sensitive about being fat.. then why dont they do something about it instead of live in denial and use the stupid of excuse of ''women have curves..'' .. that just makes women look like retards.. i have curves.. i am a size 12, with F chest.. but my god i do not have a whopper belly and bingo wings to match..

if fat people are miserable.. would they stop wasting the medias time, and do something about it..

however.. if it doesnt affect them to be fat.. then they should quit soiling nightclubs reputations, and drink at home with the rest of the gigantic individuals..

To be fair, these women were grossly discriminated against and I hope the club gets sued into bankruptcy. Although I do agree with your fundamental point - I feel embarrassed for people who try to defend being overweight as if it wasn't their choice when, in almost all cases, it is.

Let's also not forget though that there are a lot of reasons why people become obese other than just downright gluttony and laziness. People who suffer from drepression, for example, can tend to overeat to try and alleviate their symptoms. As such, a certain amount of empathy is needed. At the end of the day, nobody wants to be fat.

The only people I have a problem with are those who are genuinely lazy and greedy yet who take the attitude that their weight is everthing and everyone else's fault but their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Im not fat im just undertall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

The manager actually thinks that this is going to improve business? Is this some kind of viral marketing stunt?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

EI-DAV wrote: »
    The manager actually thinks that this is going to improve business? Is this some kind of viral marketing stunt?
    I'd go into a club if they didn't allow fat girls into them, for sure. Too bad it would be empty around here... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, but most people who have a go at overweight people aren't even thinking about stuff like that. They're just taking advantage of how it's "fair game" to make fun of overweight people and it makes them feel good about themselves. Having to see fat people, having to work with fat people, having to talk to fat people - that's the context they're referring to, and it doesn't affect them remotely.
    Actually, a number of studies show that subconsciously people *are* affected by other people's weight, in that they deal with that person differently.
    For example, a study was done (no links atm) where people were told about a job that was being filled in their team. They were given two identical candidates, same sex, same age, comparable qualifications, and shown a photo. One candidate being overweight, one being of "normal" size. The results showed that in nearly every test, the person picked was the one who was of "normal" weight. Even when both candidates were overweight, the less overweight person was picked.
    The age, sex or weight of the person doing the picking didn't seem to make a difference.

So from that point of view, clearly the weight of the person you're interacting with has some sort of effect on your attitude to them, even if you don't realise it.
    I've 2 friends over 25 stone, for medical reasons, and another one who probably is about the same. One is one o my best mates, and I (10+1/2 stone) eat about twice what he does...
    As pointed out, this is very unlikely. You don't say whether your best mate is one of the ones with the medical condition or just the fat guy.
    The number of people who are overweight for medical reasons is very small. Even more, the number of people who are overweight for medical reasons which cannot be treated effectively is much smaller again.

In general, when someone comes on and says, "I am fat because I have a medical condition", and they can't immediately tell you the name of that medical condition, then you know they're talking crap.
    (a) diet of crappy food
    (c) complete denial
    To be fair, weight loss is primarily to do with diet. Even if someone exercises 5 hours a day, 7 days a week, they'll still be a fatso if they spend the rest of their time eating takeaways.

I don't think "denial" adequately covers the mental part of the problem. There are few overweight people who think they're not overweight. However, there's usually a mental block which they've developed which prevents them from facing up to the fact. Often the problem is compounded because their method of hiding from their problem is to find comfort in their food. More so then denial, the real issue is "will". Much like giving up smoking, you can bleat on about wanting to lose weight until the cows come home, but until you decide, "this is it", you won't lose the weight.

It's a sort of "Eureka" moment. Sometimes people will go for a day eating healthy and then forget about it the next day. That just means your heart wasn't in it - you didn't really want to lose weight. When you really, really want to change your lifestyle, you will know, and you will stick with it.

• Advertisement

Why? The women were clearly discriminated against and publicly insulted too.
    Any establishment has to right to refuse admission but giving "you're too fat" as an excuse is blatant discrimination. And sure one of the girls was only a size 14, hardly morbidly obese.

You're watching waaaay too many American teen movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

hussey wrote: »

I have a really fast metabolism, and a huge appetite. If one of the lads on boards who know me in person see this post, i'm sure they'll agree with me on this! I also do several sports on a regular basis, inc football and cycling.

My friend on the other hand has a bad back and gets very little exercise. His diet is pretty good, definitly not bad - about the same as mine. He wasn't able to take his dog out for walks and he had to give her up, so as not to be unfail/cruel to it (this broke his heart to do). He tries to do what he can, in terms of diet and exercise but his back prevents most exercise. It pains me to see him like this, but things are slowly improving.

This sounds like the greatest club ever. Now you don't need to become friendly with the fat chick to get with the hot one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Magpie!

Anyone get the email yet that's doing the rounds saying it was Coppers that this happened at? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I agree 100% with the manager. It is his club and management reserve the right to refuse admission as they see fit.

If I was refused from a bar because I didn't look after myself and I smelled of BO/wearing filthy clothes and was told I cannot enter because "You stink and your clothes are dirty" - I'd have to accept that.

End of the day, fat people are fat due to laziness and gluttony, RARE medical exceptions aside.

Also this 'Proud to be fat' BS is simply that, BS. I think it was Dudess that hit the nail on the head when she said if there was a pill to melt away the fatness, they'd take it.
    I have a really fast metabolism, and a huge appetite. If one of the lads on boards who know me in person see this post, i'm sure they'll agree with me on this! I also do several sports on a regular basis, inc football and cycling.

Without meaning to go to far OT, what is a typical days diet for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

seamus wrote: »
    I don't think "denial" adequately covers the mental part of the problem. There are few overweight people who think they're not overweight. However, there's usually a mental block which they've developed which prevents them from facing up to the fact.

I'd agree that most overweight people are probably all too aware that they're overweight.

By denial I was referring to people who are in denial about the reasons for their weight problem - people who claim they exercise rigourously everyday, eat healthy meals and by some medical anomoly they just happen to be 15 stone.

Naos wrote: »
    I agree 100% with the manager. It is his club and management reserve the right to refuse admission as they see fit.
    AFAIK they're not supposed to give a reason though because that leaves them open for cases of discrimination. That's why if you get refused from a nightclub you usually get some BS reason like "Club's full" or "Regulars only"

Naos wrote: »
    If I was refused from a bar because I didn't look after myself and I smelled of BO/wearing filthy clothes and was told I cannot enter because "You stink and your clothes are dirty" - I'd have to accept that.
    Not really the same thing though. And where do you stop? size 10? 12? 14? Are bouncers going to have to do BMI calculations before they allow people into clubs?
    And what next?
    "Sorry mate no Gingers"
    "But, but it's not my fault I'm ginger!"
    "Well it is your fault you haven't dyed it. Go home and dye it and I'll think about letting you in"

BaZmO* wrote: »
    AFAIK they're not supposed to give a reason though because that leaves them open for cases of discrimination. That's why if you get refused from a nightclub you usually get some BS reason like "Club's full" or "Regulars only"

Not really the same thing though. And where do you stop? size 10? 12? 14? Are bouncers going to have to do BMI calculations before they allow people into clubs?
    And what next?
    "Sorry mate no Gingers"
    "Well it is your fault you haven't dyed it. Go home and dye it and I'll think about letting you in"

The majority of fat people are fat through their own actions and laziness, with a small, small minority due to medical reasons. Gingers are born that way, the poor bastards. Besides, maybe having no gingers would be a good thing. It's just plain freaky when their pale pale skin becomes incandescent with the fluorescent lights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

BaZmO* wrote:

Fair enough that they are open to discrimination, but a great marketing ploy none the less if it was meant. However discrimination in nightclubs is quite prevalent, what about Ladies nights?
    BaZmO* wrote:
    And what next?
    "Sorry mate no Gingers"

I disagree. Gingers are genetically predisposed to having ginger hair. Fat people are not. They choose to be that way.

• Advertisement

The majority of fat people are fat through their own actions and laziness, with a small, small minority due to medical reasons. Gingers are born that way, the poor bastards.
    Yes I know that but the point I was making was where do you draw the line? And who decides what's "too fat"?

Listen, don't get me wrong I slightly irks me when I see people that are grossly over weight through laziness but there seems to be this media witch hunt where they want everybody to look the same. I understand the health implications of being overweight but carrying a few extra pounds is hardly a crime against humanity.

It's just plain freaky when their pale pale skin becomes incandescent with the fluorescent lights
    :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement