Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightclub refuses fat girls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

BaZmO* wrote: »
    but there seems to be this media witch hunt where they want everybody to look the same.

I think it was Groove Armada who put it best

If everybody looked the same
    We'd get tired of looking at each other
    You know a fella's good for the moola

Meanwhile, back on topic,

It seems the "fat hate" on this thread stems from attacking people of or above a certain size for being lazy. So, my angle is: What if you were a size 20-something lady, realised it was time to put down the fork, lost a couple of stones, reduced your size to the mid-to-late teens, went to a nightclub and got refused for being "too fat". Could you show them a "before" picture and claim that you are in the process?

Probably not in this case, the bouncers would've just said. "Great, at this rate you'll be welcome here by Christmas" but it is another point to bring up in the "lazyness" debate. You see a large person (male or female) and think "Lazy sod" but for all you know they were 3 or 4 stones bigger just a few months back and are actually doing a lot about their problem. it doesn't happen overnight.

Judge not lest ye be judged and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Did you see the girl in the picture?

She was not carrying "a few extra pounds". She was very obese.

Who decide's who's overweight? Fat is fat dude.

As for this media scaremongoring wanting everyone to look the same? The articles are all about how skinny and unhealthy celeberities are now, not about how fat they are.

Even so, there is nothing wrong with people being "the same" if it's for everyones benefit. It would be a better world if everyone was a non-smoker. It would be a better world if everyone was healthy and not fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Naos wrote: »
    Did you see the girl in the picture?

She was not carrying "a few extra pounds". She was very obese.

Who decide's who's overweight? Fat is fat dude.

As for this media scaremongoring wanting everyone to look the same? The articles are all about how skinny and unhealthy celeberities are now, not about how fat they are.

Even so, there is nothing wrong with people being "the same" if it's for everyones benefit. It would be a better world if everyone was a non-smoker. It would be a better world if everyone was healthy and not fat.

and if everyone decided to wear clothes that fit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭STUBBORNGIRL

Well for what it is worth i think that is pure discrimination! would he be treated the same way if he had refused a black person? In my opinion regardless of someone's weight, height, race, religion, disability etc... no one is entitled to use that as an excuse to refuse someone entry to anywhere! he should definitely be done for discrimination.

I am overweight and I find in general people do not care - yeah the odd comment but it doesnt effect me! People should live and let live! at the end of the day it is no-ones business if the person is happy then good for them!

And i would just like to say to all those shallow men on boards - and from reading this i gather that there are many of you - i hope ye are all as hot and as good looking as ye imply and that ye never put on weight - lets hope the sun keeps shining for ye! ye never know what is around the corner so i think its best not to be so judgemental!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Everybodys going on about being overweight but just because you are skinny doesnt mak you healthy. I was very underweight and i was unhealthy i ate some crap because i could eat what i liked and not put on a pound.Now on other end of spectrum overweight but trying to do something bout it.My cousin is so overweight that shes in a wheelchair and is registered disabled

• Advertisement

Well for what it is worth i think that is pure discrimination! would he be treated the same way if he had refused a black person? In my opinion regardless of someone's weight, height, race, religion, disability etc... no one is entitled to use that as an excuse to refuse someone entry to anywhere! he should definitely be done for discrimination.

I am overweight and I find in general people do not care - yeah the odd comment but it doesnt effect me! People should live and let live! at the end of the day it is no-ones business if the person is happy then good for them!

And i would just like to say to all those shallow men on boards - and from reading this i gather that there are many of you - i hope ye are all as hot and as good looking as ye imply and that ye never put on weight - lets hope the sun keeps shining for ye! ye never know what is around the corner so i think its best not to judge!

In fairness the prices in night clubs are through the roof now..

15 euro in the door 6-7 euro a pint the last thing I want to be looking at after paying that is the happy clappy fat chicks wobbling around the dance floor in tank tops two sizes too small...

There are loads of places for fat women, night clubs just isn't one of them.

marti101 wrote: »
    Everybodys going on about being overweight but just because you are skinny doesnt mak you healthy. I was very underweight and i was unhealthy i ate some crap because i could eat what i liked and not put on a pound.Now on other end of spectrum overweight but trying to do something bout it.My cousin is so overweight that shes in a wheelchair and is registered disabled

it doesn't mean your healthy it means your nicer to look at and the nightlub owners dont care how healthy you are they want the place full of hot women which brings men who spend a hell of lot more money (in general)

your health is not there concern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

I'm willing to bet most of the people on their anti fat crusade here were at one time fat messes in their lives and because they beat it are getting up on their high horses and condeming others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 giddynurse

i dont watch tv whatsoever.. it was an idea, nothing more.
    listen.. fat people arent human.. thats my new answer :)
    ok im joking
    but seriously.. its just ridiculous..
    would you like a nightclub full of gigantic people?
    no!
    you want slender hotties!
    dont try and be politically correct.. be flippin honest!!!!

BEEEE HONESTTTT!! gah!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

ntlbell wrote: »
    it doesn't mean your healthy it means your nicer to look at and the nightlub owners dont care how healthy you are they want the place full of hot women which brings men who spend a hell of lot more money (in general)

your health is not there concern
    Yep. Naos and a few others have been saying stuff like "these women are unhealthy, lazy etc, and the club owner has every right to turn away people like that" - if that were their reason for turning away paying customers it would warrant a discrimination suit. Wtf? Having an aversion to a person's lifestyle is NOT grounds for turning them away from a club. However, if you feel it is in the interests of business, then you have more grounds - and that is the case here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

this news report is being forwarded around in an email with the nightclub name changed to coppers!

giddynurse wrote: »
    i dont watch tv whatsoever.. it was an idea, nothing more.
    listen.. fat people arent human.. thats my new answer :)
    ok im joking
    but seriously.. its just ridiculous..
    would you like a nightclub full of gigantic people?
    no!
    you want slender hotties!
    dont try and be politically correct.. be flippin honest!!!!

BEEEE HONESTTTT!! gah!!!

A nightclub full of fat people would probably register on the Richter scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Q; What does a fat chic and a Honda 50 have in common?.

A; They'll both give you a good ride, but you wouldn't want your mates to see you with one.

:D

Well for what it is worth i think that is pure discrimination! would he be treated the same way if he had refused a black person?

Again back to the 'Ginger Arguement' - being black is a genetic predisposition, being fat is not.
    Everybodys going on about being overweight but just because you are skinny doesnt mak you healthy. disabled

100% agree with you there, Wreck pointed this out when talking about the other end of the spectrum.
    Dudess wrote: »
    Yep. Naos and a few others have been saying stuff like "these women are unhealthy, lazy etc, and the club owner has every right to turn away people like that" - if that were their reason for turning away paying customers it would warrant a discrimination suit. Wtf? Having an aversion to a person's lifestyle is NOT grounds for turning them away from a club. However, if you feel it is in the interests of business, then you have more grounds - and that is the case here.

It is in the interest of business. The ladies were not permitted entry to the club as a result of their lifestyle. Therefore their lifestyle is ground for turning them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭stevelknievel

Tazdedub wrote: »
    I wonder if Coppers might introduce this policy. :D

Funny you should say that. I just got an email from a friend with the exct same word-for-word story except details were changed to Coppers, and it claimed it was reported in the Mirror. They didn't even change the managers name though. Ridiculous.

Funny you should say that. I just got an email from a friend with the exct same word-for-word story except details were changed to Coppers, and it claimed it was reported in the Mirror. They didn't even change the managers name though. Ridiculous.

in coppers turning away the fat chicks would be bad for buisness.

People go to coppers with the GUE plan of attack (Go ugly early)

Removing the fat chicks would detremental to coppers

ntlbell wrote: »
    in coppers turning away the fat chicks would be bad for buisness.

People go to coppers with the GUE plan of attack (Go ugly early)

Removing the fat chicks would detremental to coppers

Where is my diary!

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Where is my diary!

Can I suggest Tuesday nights? :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

'Go away and lose some weight, love'.

"I am overweight myself. I did not do this to hurt anyone."

Even though he claims he only did it for business, it pretty much sums up the majority of these kind of threads on AH: men who (chances are) aren't that attractive themselves giving out about fat women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Yes i agree Acid Violet they are not exactly Brad Pitt so i dont know who they are for slagging somebody else off.

• Advertisement

Marti101 - Where did anyone say they looked like Brad Pitt?

Again, looks on the most part are genetic. Being overweight as a result of overeating and underexercising is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

it pretty much sums up the majority of these kind of threads on AH: men who (chances are) aren't that attractive themselves giving out about fat women.

But chances are they're not obese wrecks either which is what the woman who was refused is.

We're not talking slightly overweight, curvey or even cuddly. We're talking HUUUUGE!

Yes i agree Acid Violet they are not exactly Brad Pitt so i dont know who they are for slagging somebody else off.

I know a few door men who are told when a place is filling up to keep an eye on the amount of ugly folk coming in not fat but just ugly in general that goes for both men and women, you're just unlikely to hear a bouncer in Dublin tell another guy the reason he's not going in is because he's not attractive enough but it happens.

Dinter: I don't think there's any excuse for putting people down, especially if your argument for is 'but they're fat, you can slag fat gals.' I was just pointing out the irony in pointing out other people's faults and expecting your own to be accepted.

No Voilet.

Being ugly is not a fault. You can only do so much, mother nature has already decided your fate.

Being on fat on the other hand is your fault (not you personally).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Dinter: I don't think there's any excuse for putting people down, especially if your argument for is 'but they're fat, you can slag fat gals.' I was just pointing out the irony in pointing out other people's faults and expecting your own to be accepted.

No my argument is "they're fat, they're not coming into my nightclub." That's my prerogative.

Anyway I was watching Dispatches last night on C4 and the reporter was saying that a THIRD of the UK population is classified as obese. A THIRD!! Perhaps society has gotten too comfortable with people eating themselves into intensive care and this sort of attitude, that it's not acceptable or attractive, should be encouraged.

I have no faults*. :pac:

I might be a little too humble though!

Which is not 100% true as genetics play a big part. I think the argument that it's ok to slag fat people because it's their own doing is really weak, just people looking for to justify their dickheadedness. Just my opinion. Personally, I'm not sexually attracted to peple who offer 'more to love' and it does annoy me when I see someone reading up about dieting whilst stuffing their face with crap, but that doesn't mean I've a right to judge them as lazy or treat them like crap. I'm not going to judge them near as harshly for being over-weight as I am going to judge the people who put over-weight people down to feel better about themselves (which in my experience, those who are most insecure put others down about the thing they themselves feel most insecure about.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Dinter wrote: »
    No my argument is "they're fat, they're not coming into my nightclub." That's my prerogative.
    You can defend that, but you can't exactly complain if a discrimination suit is filed. It IS discriminatory to refuse to let someone in simply because you disagree with their lifestyle choices.

There's a big difference between disencouraging obesity and treating people like ****.

• Advertisement

Dinter wrote: »

Well then express it better, cos that didn't come across by this:
    But chances are they're not obese wrecks (the AH guys) either which is what the woman who was refused is.

We're not talking slightly overweight, curvey or even cuddly. We're talking HUUUUGE!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement