Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Shrines

Options
  • 29-07-2008 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Does anyone know where I can find Marian Shrines around Dublin? The kind you find in Knock? Working on a photography project and only know of a couple. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Bangle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Moved from Arts and Crafts

Should get a better response here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Bangle wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can find Marian Shrines around Dublin? The kind you find in Knock? Working on a photography project and only know of a couple. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Bangle

Theres one up near the fourcourts,on the same side of the road.It has a big boulder beside it.
    There's one in the meath st area as far as i know,and one in the centre of o'connel st,near the spire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There is a large on in the grounds of the church of the precious blood cabra west D7.

And in the Church in Finglas Village,on Church Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

There's one in Stillorgan opposite the Shopping Centre, near the 46A stop. Part of Patrician Villas I suppose, the small part separated by the dual carriageway.

A lot of council estates built before the 1970s seem to have them. I noticed one around Harolds Cross cottages as well recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

There's one in Pimlico in the Coombe, D7

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Patrician Villas, My Mam used to live there :)

OP, there's one in Dodsboro (or doddsborough if you look at some road signs) in Lucan, near the 25 bus terminus. I remember being dragged there for Novenas as a child, by my mother...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is that statue outside the bus depot in phibsboro one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

IIRC, there is a Marian statue with a bench in front of it on the corner of Templeogue Road and Springfield Avenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Monsktown Farm has one I think.
    With the forthcoming eucharistic congress I see no reason why they can't be put into newer Dublin estates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Nolanger wrote: »
    Monsktown Farm has one I think.
    With the forthcoming eucharistic congress I see no reason why they can't be put into newer Dublin estates.
    For the very simple reason that not everyone who moves into the estates is going to be Catholic. And even those who are Catholic may not actually be practising. It's intrusive and unnecessary tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

We're a Catholic Country so we should should be allowed put up new shrines for the next congress.
    Would rather see these things appearing around the city than those stupid modern art sculptures which are more offensive regardless of religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

If it means so much to you why don't you raise the funds and apply for planning permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Flats on North Cumberland Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Clonee, city side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Nolanger wrote: »
    We're a Catholic Country so we should should be allowed put up new shrines for the next congress.
    Would rather see these things appearing around the city than those stupid modern art sculptures which are more offensive regardless of religion.

Actually if Catholic residents want to erect and maintain them on their own property (even in a front garden with public access): fair enough. I'm fcuked if a cent of taxpayers money should go towards erecting them on public property though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

stovelid wrote: »
    I'm fcuked if a cent of taxpayers money should go towards erecting them on public property though.
    Most shrines were erected in the Marian year of 1954 and would have been funded throught voluntary subscriptions. I doubt very much that taxpayers money was used although I presume that those erected in public owed property were done with permission of the local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

There is a statue of Our Lady in the middle of the roundabout outside the church of Our Lady of the Assumption on the Kylemore rd in Ballyfermot.
    there is also a very old grotto to Our Lady of lourdes at the back of the Oblates Church in Inchicore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

There's one just off the North Circular Road beside the Junction with Dorset St.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There's one at the rear of the Bon Secours Hospital in Glasnevin (which is used as a smoking area :().

Degsy wrote: »
    and one in the centre of o'connel st,near the spire.
    The one in the centre of O'Connell Street (funded by the Dublin taxi drivers) is a 'Sacred Heart' not a Virgin Mary. (Unless of course there is another that I've forgotten about!).
    There's one in Pimlico in the Coombe, D7
    Is that also not a 'Sacred Heart'? (Perhaps I'm thinking of the one at the junction of Gray Street and Reginald Street).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Wishbone's previous post just reminded me that there is also a grotto at Our Lady's hospice in Harold's Cross.

Dunno if it counts but there's a HUGE statue of Our Lady at the end of the Bull wall.
    Its set on concret legs maybe 60 feet high and illuminated with spotlights at night.Used to fish there as a lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

tibor wrote: »
    There's one just off the North Circular Road beside the Junction with Dorset St.

Saint Benedicts Gardens I think? It featured in the picture game.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Sundew wrote: »
    there is also a very old grotto to Our Lady of lourdes at the back of the Oblates Church in Inchicore :)

The one in Inchicore is absolutely gorgeous OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 skehana

I used to live there three years ago I heard that it used to be a holy marian shriine at the end near the spar shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Theres on in Maryland, just off Cork St.

Is there one in the Tenters also?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

There is one in Wolf Tone Sq. Bray (if your project extends that far)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

There's one at the Quarry road/Fassaugh roundabout in Cabra, you can't miss it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Also one in Eden Villas, Glasthule and Oliver Plunkett Road, Monkstown.;)

Advertisement