Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acquiring Network Address

Options
  • 30-07-2008 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

Ok... Lets put things in plain and simple language for me (the plain and simple)

Its staring me in the face, but I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

Recently got BB installed in my house (yeah!!). Wireless router too.

I have no problems with a direct connection using network cable. Sorted.

If i try to wireless then all I'm getting is "Acquiring Network Address" for ages.

I'm using my old Dell Inspiron 5160. Wireless card is a "Dell Wireless 1350WLAN MiniPCI Card" and I'm using WinXP.

The WLAN is password protected (thats fine), I have that. But I'm not getting an option to put in password.

Any help for the techno stupid.

Thanks guys

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I've seen this happen a few times, it happens when the password doesn't match the wireless encryption. I'd suggest logging into the router using the network cable. Go to the wireless settings page, copy and paste the encryption key into a notepad file or similar. It may be the case that it's not accepting a passphrase, but the long 26 digit key should work. (assuming you're using WEP).

What wireless management software are you using for the wireless connection on the laptop. Is it Dells software, or windows wireless network management?

Also make sure there's no static IP assigned to the wireless network card. (go to network connections in the control panel, open it, right click the wireless network card, then scroll down to "Internet Protocol (tcp/ip)" click that then properties, and ensure "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "obtain DNS server automatically" are selected.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Sorry, original post edited.
    Typo.

I'm not getting an option to insert the password.

Ok.. some more info.

The Authentication Type is WPA-PSK (other options are WPA2-PSK, WEP-64bit/128bit or Open Sytem).

and the Encryption is TKIP(other option is AES)

I have no static IP. Everthing is set to auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

WPA is considerably better than wep, so good to hear it's using that. The settings sound good so far. Try disabling the security on the wireless signal, leaving it open access. If the laptop can connect and get an IP this helps rules out the laptops wireless card as a main problem.

If it works, re-enable the security, try generating a new password / security key for wpa and then give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,469 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's also an idea to delete any entry in whatever wireless client you're using (either the so-called Windows Zero Configuration or WZC client or any 3rd party client) for your network, since they cache passphrases, and if you've ever entered an incorrect one in the past it'll carry on trying to use that without prompting you for a new one (and failing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Does your card support WPA encryption using TKIP? Some older cards don't especially in older laptops. Also, is MAC Filtering in use?

Also, Eircom routers have an issue with using all 64 characters in WPA. (At least mine does)

And last but not least, update the driver for the card.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Does your card support WPA encryption using TKIP? Some older cards don't especially in older laptops. Also, is MAC Filtering in use?

Also, Eircom routers have an issue with using all 64 characters in WPA. (At least mine does)

And last but not least, update the driver for the card.

Updating the drivers was the first thing I did.
    The wires card supports WPA and TKIP, did a quick google on that. Well, I think I checked the right one :confused:

Its not your standard Eircom router. Don't live in Ireland. I live in the land of slow and expensive BB, New Zealand :)

When I'm back from work I check the make and model of the router and take another bash at sorting out this prob.

Thanks for the help so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Mike be a good idea to temporarily switch off the security check to see if you can connect and if you can turn it back on and maybe start with the lowest security and keep rasing it until it cant connect!

Iv never had issues like that cos all my wi-fi stuff is unsecured cos (1)I live in the country and there no way my range can reach next house(iv tried cos my mate cant get BB and he was gonna use ours) and (2)Most of our othe neighbours dont have pcs :pac:

Cheers guys. Up and running now.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,469 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Rabies wrote: »
    Cheers guys. Up and running now.

:D
    Sooooo, are you going to let us know what suggestion it was that made the difference?

• Advertisement
Advertisement