Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

abc 40 Irvine Setup!

Options
  • 30-07-2008 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I bought a nice little rc airplane off adverts a few weeks ago...

i flew the plane staright into the ground and broke the engine mount... luckily the engine was not damaged and i had a spare engine mount. the plane is now back together but will not start.... unless i squirt a little fuel down the carb hole it fires up but stops a few seconds later

ive noticed that when i cover the carb hole and turn the properllor it does not suck in fuel trough the fuel line like it used to but if i open the main high speed needle it does suck it in so i think it got turned somehow in the accident and needs to be set to the proper setting...

does anyone know how many turns out the screw needs to be to set it to factory settings?

or has anyone any experiance in setting up the engine from scratch?

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Factory setting for the main knurled needle should be at 3 turns out from fully in.

There is no factory idle needle setting. They vary and are unique to each engine, depending on assembly, intended to be optimised after the engine runs in. A half mil gap between needle and idle tube (at start throttle) may be ok if this is maladjusted.

A plane with that engine weighs 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 kilos.
    A beginner with no help would usually get 15 to 35 seconds before crashing it. So (unless you can already fly) without help, you're not going to teach yourself to fly with such a model, unless you're happy to buy three airframes.

Do you have someone to teach you and keep you out of more difficulties?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

i had practice on a computer simlator system, i found that to be very helpfull, my main priority is to get it running again.... i then need insruance :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Sims are good, in theory. Not so good in practise. That's mainly due to the reality of andrenalin, eyesight limitations and the effects risk, excitement and fear have on the human body's reactions and reflexes. A sim can't replicate those features of flying.
    you need both the sim, and experience.
    The experience can be self acquired, or given by an instructor standing beside you. But it is measured in glue repairing the effects of mis-judgment during flight !

Most clubs that fly nitro engine models have insurance as part of their membership fee. So that won't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Another benefit of joining a club is you may well be able to fly with a Buddy box ...... i.e. two Tx's connected by cable and both able to control the plane ..... you have one .... your instructor has the other ...... get into trouble and the instructor can take over flying .....

and of course you will hear those magic words spoken to you ....

"you have Control"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dmcracing

Carb setting is two turns from fully closed.Maybe a click either way then depending on fuel and ambient temp.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that DMC

shes up and running thanks to you...... :D

Its starting perfectly, but no power when i open the throtle! if i close the screw about 3/4 of a turn the power seems to be more power but when i stop the engine it wont start again?

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dmcracing

Sounds too lean.more fuel needed.Test it at full power in the vertical position.Hold the model vertical on full power and see if dies,adjust mixture screw accordingly.

ok will try it.... can you give me an idea of the amount of turning i might need to do i.e would you say i should be turning the screw a max of say a quater to get it right or might i have to turn it as much as a full turn say?

Thanks again

Advertisement