Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Whale, Holy Grail

Options
  • 30-07-2008 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

Well, this is my first attempt at keeping a fitness log. I’ve been reading others with interest and I wish I started one sooner.

Background/Past Fitness
    I generally keep pretty fit, but I’ve never really applied a proper structure to my fitness. Hopefully this log will help me to do so. My two biggest activities are running and swimming. For the past two years I’ve taken part in an annual triathlon, as part of a three man team – in 2006 I did an 800 metre swim (sea) and last year I did a 33km cycle. Unfortunately I can’t take part in this year’s because it’s a company thing and I no longer work there. I’m keeping my eye out for other opportunities, as I’d really like to test myself in a full triathlon.

This year, I did very little before the summer (got pretty consumed by college). So, at the start of June, I rejoined my gym. As I said, I wish I started this log as soon as I rejoined, but I’ll bring you up to speed as briefly as possible:

I had my vitals taken when I had my fitness assessment upon rejoining, which read:

Height: 5’10
    Weight: 13st 0.51
    Fat %: 19.9

There are others on the list, but these are the ones I place the most importance on (plus, I don’t even understand some of the others!)

On July 1st, I decided to have my vitals taken again to see how far I had come in a month. It read:

Weight: 12st 7.01
    Fat %: 18.7

So there you have it so far. I decided to make it a monthly thing, which means that I’m due for a check again this weekend.

Goals
    My goals are all aimed towards November, when my membership is up for renewal. Then I’ll take it from there.

• Reduce body fat % (don’t have a specific figure, I don’t know too much about weight loss and wasn’t sure what a realistic figure would be).

• Become more defined.

I may revise these and add a couple of more, but they are the main two.

What I hope to get out of this log
    There are a few reasons I started this log; firstly, I know next to nothing about nutrition and it’s an area I need to improve on. I’ve read articles, browsed the nutrition forum here on Boards, but it’s like reading a foreign language to me. So hopefully by posting up my dietary habits, someone will flag anything that needs to be changed.

Secondly, I hope that it keeps me from being complacent. By being 100% honest in terms of both diet and exercise routine, I’ll be able to see any dip in form and hopefully I’ll be called on it if I don’t see it myself.

Finally, it’s clear to see from other logs the benefit of visible progress and encouragement from others. Hopefully I’ll continue to learn from those other logs and chip in with my own advice if I can.

Thanks to anyone that has read this, now that the first post is out of the way I promise they won’t be as long-winded :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi necronomicon best of luck with your log hope it all goes according to plan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Thanks sungod, I've been reading yours as well. Some impressive running!

Just back from the gym.

Had a relatively light work-out, haven't done weights in a week because I was away over the weekend, and the place was jammed on monday to the point of frustration. I'm going to be away this coming friday and saturday too, so this week probably isn't the best for consistency.

Cardio
    Treadmill - 20 minutes - Interval training, between jogging and sprinting. Kept to the higher speed settings, increasing incline every two minutes.

Arc Trainer - 15 minutes - 'Level 6' cardio program

Weights

Dumbbells chest press (weights - reps - sets):
    35 lbs x 15 x 2
    40 lbs x 12 x 2

Dumbells shoulder press:
    30 lbs x 15 x 2

Lat pull-down (plates - reps - sets):
    9 x 15 x 1
    10 x 12 x 1
    11 x 10 x 1

Seated row (plates - reps - sets):
    9 x 15 x 1
    10 x 12 x 1

Abs (crunches - sets):
    Ab cruncher: 25 x 2
    Reverse crunches: 20 x 2

Plank (Elbows & toes): Held for 1 minute
    Side plank (left): Held for 30 seconds
    Side plank (right): Held for 30 seconds

Well, it's first of the month, which meant it was time to get back on the scales:

Weight: 12st 5.0
    Body Fat: 16.3%

Pretty happy with that, because my BF took a bigger drop from July to August than from June to July.

Tonight I had pretty much the same work-out as last thursday (which was the last time I went to the gym, away for the weekend). Now that my summer plans are effectively over, it's no more weekends away and back on the straight and narrow ;)

Cardio
    Treadmill - 20 minutes - Interval training, between jogging and sprinting. Kept to the higher speed settings, increasing incline every two minutes.

Arc Trainer - 15 minutes - 'Level 6' cardio program

Weights

35 lbs x 15 x 2
    40 lbs x 12 x 2

Dumbbell Flyes
    30 lbs x 15 x 1
    35 lbs x 10 x 1

Dumbells shoulder press:
    30 lbs x 10 x 1
    35 lbs x 8 x 1

8 x 20 x 1
    9 x 15 x 1
    10 x 10 x 1

Abs (crunches - sets):

Plank (Elbows & toes): Held for 1 minute
    Side plank (left): Held for 40 seconds
    Side plank (right): Held for 40 seconds

My diet consisted of the following, and this is close enough to the norm:

Breakfast: 2 slices of brown toast

Lunch: Chicken soup

Dinner: Mashed potato & chicken breast

Snack: Had a few slices of ham after the gym, always get fairly peckish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You a mastodon fan op?

I sure am, usually have them cranked up full in the gym :)

Couldn't get to the gym last night, so went for a run tonight. Measured it before in the car, I think it's between 5-7 km. Occasionally I like swapping the treadmill for natural scenery :)

Back to the weights tomorrow.

Didn't over-do it on the weights today, my lower back has been really stiff over the last few days. I noticed it after my run friday, it was at me as well yesterday. Feels a bit better today, but didn't want to aggrevate it.

Cardio

Arc Trainer - 15 minutes - 'Level 5' cardio program (Keeping above 150 strides per minute)

Weights

35 lbs x 15 x 1
    40 lbs x 12 x 1
    45 lbs x 8 x 1

Dumbbell Flyes
    30 lbs x 15 x 1
    35 lbs x 10 x 1

Dumbells shoulder press:
    30 lbs x 12 x 2
    35 lbs x 8 x 2

Dumbbell Incline Curls:
    35 lbs x 10 x 2 (each arm)

Well, been a busy few days (seem to be saying that a lot these days) but yesterday I did:

40 lbs x 15 x 1 (By the way - do you write the individual bell weight or combined?)
    45 lbs x 10 x 1
    50 lbs x 6 x 1

Dumbbell Flyes
    35 lbs x 10 x 2

Dumbells shoulder press:
    35 lbs x 10 x 2

8 x 20 x 1
    9 x 15 x 1
    10 x 10 x 1

Lat Pull-Down (plates - reps - sets):
    9 x 15 x 1
    10 x 12 x 1

Dumbbell Incline Curls:
    35 lbs x 10 x 2 (each arm)

Abs (crunches - sets):

Did 20 minutes on the treadmill and had a nice swim afterwards. Two weeks into August and I haven't been quite as productive as I would've wanted, but hopefully I'll be more consistent during the last two weeks.

• Advertisement

Had a pretty good work-out yesterday, still tired.

Started with a 20 minute run on the treadmill, followed by 15 on the arc trainer (went up a level too). Went onto weights:

40 lbs x 15
    45 lbs x 12
    50 lbs x 8

Dumbbell Flyes
    35 lbs x 10
    40 lbs x 8

Dumbells shoulder press:
    35 lbs x 10
    40 lbs x 8

8 x 20