Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Irratates you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Beggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

People who stand in doorways of shops. Fúckwits.

People who take bleedin' ages at bank machines. It's the same buttons every time you moron.

People who say "ATM Machine". Idiots.

Small women with umbrellas who try to take my eye out.

People who stop for a chat on the stairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Des wrote: »
    People who stand in doorways of shops. Fúckwits.

People who take bleedin' ages at bank machines. It's the same buttons every time you moron.

People who say "ATM Machine". Idiots.

Small women with umbrellas who try to take my eye out.

People who stop for a chat on the stairs.

What's wrong with saying ATM machine. That's the correct name you know.

Go on. What does "ATM" stand for?

"ATM Machine" makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Automated Teller Machine machine yeah? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Go on. What does "ATM" stand for?

"ATM Machine" makes no sense.

Sorry sorry. So you don't mind someone saying ATM then?

That's what I really meant.

Of course not, that's the correct name, don't you know.

You sound like my dad when he's watching a quiz, and he doesn't know the answer, but says it juuuuussst after the contestant says it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

People who say 'Euros' when talking about money
    it is Euro and Cent, not Euros and cents.

Of course not, that's the correct name, don't you know.

You sound like my dad when he's watching a quiz, and he doesn't know the answer, but says it juuuuussst after the contestant says it.

Believe me I know what it means.

hussey wrote: »
    People who say 'Euros' when talking about money
    it is Euro and Cent, not Euros and cents.

There is no official ruling on this.

If there is could you please link to it. I bet you five euros you can't.

• Advertisement

There is no official ruling on this.

If there is could you please link to it. I bet you five euros you can't.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_issues_concerning_the_euro#English
    Official practice followed in English-language EU legislation is to use the words euro and cent as both singular and plural.
    in Ireland

As the euro was being adopted in Ireland the Department of Finance decided to use the word euro as both the singular and plural forms of the currency, and because Irish broadcasters took their cue from the Department, the "legislative plurals" tend to also be used on the news and in much Irish advertising.

http://evertype.com/standards/euro/mccreevy.html
    I have noted the points Mr Everson makes about the use of "euros" and "cents" as plurals rather than "euro" and "cent". However, as Mr Everson mentions himself in his letter, the relevant EU Regulations use "euro" and "cent", and that usage has been followed in domestic law here and for official purposes. It has also generally been followed in public information, and in this context I would point out that the banknotes and coins also use "euro" and "cent".

also
    I would however point out that I have specifically said on national radio that people are free to use "euros" and "cents" as plurals as they wish, and the Chairperson of the Euro Changeover Board of Ireland has also done so on several occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Lol.

hussey wrote: »
    I would however point out that I have specifically said on national radio that people are free to use "euros" and "cents" as plurals as they wish, and the Chairperson of the Euro Changeover Board of Ireland has also done so on several occasions.
    Quite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

People in work standing behind me while talking to the person directly opposite me. Its very irritating being talked over.

Quite.

I'm sure they are also free to use the words 'ATM Machines' too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭diamondp

sueme wrote: »
    When queueing in the bank or Post Office and someone is standing about 1 inch behind you, urrgghh, I can't stand that feeling of someone brushing against me. BACK OFF people, its not going to make the queue move faster, but it does significantly increase your chances of getting a smack. Or in my case, a large handbag being swung over my shoulder and bashing you.

oh yes i hate this. a chap stood so close to me one day in the post office i told him if he didnt back off i could be looking child support in 9 months. that moved him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

They have signs in the Post Office saying give people space and a chance to move before stepping forward.What do they do they roar out your business anyway.People who tell you how to do your job.Women who contradict you even though youve been proven right.Queue jumpers,late comers your time is not more important than mine.People in pubs who,s kids run all over the place.Old prople on the bus who think its their god given right to be on the bus before you even though they came after you.People who dont give you a chance to get off the bus before letting anyone on.Ols women sitting where the buggy goes on the bus then giving out cause they have to move,this is the one time ive right of way.I feel better already:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Tesco Ripen at home fruit: Ah, no how about you sell me fruit that is ripe when I buy it. I resolved this irritation by not having shopped in that hellhole for the last 3 months.

Restaurants who charge extra for spuds and vegetables, rice, noodles etc. What else do I eat with my main course? Include it in the price you display. This is a sneaky, mean, petty practice and restaurants that do it should be avoided.

Restaurants who do not serve tap water. Water is water. I don not want to drink water that has been flown/transported in a plastic bottle. And I certainly do not want to be charged 3 times the price of petrol for the stuff.

Chuggers: When in power I fully intend to make the practice illegal, with the only punishment being death. In the interm, a swift punch to the temple will have to suffice.

Pubs: I first get past the bouncer who decides whether or not I fit his profile of a suitable candidate for his establishment. I am then charged €5 for a pint of mass produced, ice cold piss served by a surly barperson. And every time I take a piss I am expected to hand a fellow money to wipe my hands. If that is Irish pub culture, then the sooner it is stone dead the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Piste wrote: »
    Cars that dont indicate and then have the nerve to beep at you when you're crossing the road :mad:

Agree with this, was crossing the road yesterday and the car had no indictor on so I assumed was going straight (I was on a road beside it the car going straight would not have affected me) Anyway I start crossing and the car turns and the passanger leans out and says "Get off the f'ing road you prick" I say "Use the indicator's how the hell am I meant to know you are turning" He got out of the car and says "What did you say?" trying to intimidate me and I causually reply with what I previously said and as I finished he hit me.. Anyway from then on is a different thread but you get the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

People who eat loud.I just cant stand it.
    Oh and people who behave like the whole world is on their shoulders when they face the most trivial problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭McGetty

Parents who've learned to drown out their kids annoying whining and nagging and so completely ignore it when they start it up in public, not realising that it still bugs the ****e out of the rest of us. I was behind this woman in the queue at Dunnes one time for around 10 minutes, and I swear to God the sprog did not stop with the old "Mammy?...Mammy?...Mammy?...Mammy?...Mammy?" the entire feckin time.

As for what I do that annoys other people, I'm apparently quite nosey. I got a subtle hint about this when I was having what I thought was a totally normal, pleasant conversation with a friend I had known for around three years at the time, when she interrupted me to yell "OMFG YOU ARE SO NOSEY WOULD YOU EVER STOP ASKING SO MANY ****ING QUESTIONS! JESUS I FEEL LIKE I'M ON TRIAL!"

:(

Commerical radio stations playing the same songs over and over.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Agree with this, was crossing the road yesterday and the car had no indictor on so I assumed was going straight (I was on a road beside it the car going straight would not have affected me) Anyway I start crossing and the car turns and the passanger leans out and says "Get off the f'ing road you prick" I say "Use the indicator's how the hell am I meant to know you are turning" He got out of the car and says "What did you say?" trying to intimidate me and I causually reply with what I previously said and as I finished he hit me.. Anyway from then on is a different thread but you get the idea.

Did that really happen? ie. hit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,954 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Indicators on a car are officially and indication of intent to turn and not actually an indication that the driver will turn. The driver might intend to pull in just after the turn thus justifying the indicators. So technically you were in the wrong, but ya shouldn't have been hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

People picking at their nails (especially toes, ugh!!) in public- do it on your own time, in your own house buddy.

People who don't know the meaning of privacy, i.e. stare at your e-mails over your shoulders, ask what you're talking about when its clearly a hushed private discussion.

Whistling, especially that hollow sound when people can't even whistle properly.

Men who continue to hit on women who have clearly blatently and politely explained that they have a boyfriend/std/zero interest. STOPPIT. I'm sure that goes both ways.

God I'm a grump today. I could keep going...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

As of right now!!! Emo's and Tailgaters. I seem to be at my wits end regarding the Tailgaters. I am only just learning to drive and I find them to be inconsiderate parasites. I could use other words but I would get a hefty suspension from here. They just don't seem to care about other motorists. Intimidating other drivers and having no regard for others.

Regarding Emo's, when I lived in Malta they were everywhere, at the bus station in Valletta, the beaches, Paceville etc. When I returned to Ireland it seemed as if they came back with me. I don't like to say I have anything against them personally as some of them I have encountered are intelligent, book reading and writing people. They just seem to be everywhere like a plague. An annoying nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The gentrification of "Indie"-Snow Patrol,Keane,The Kooks and Razorlight are not INDIE!!!

Djs playing the same songs by the same band i.e "Should I Stay" by The Clash,"Creep" by Radiohead.Good God,so many greats to choose from.Its not just daytime djs either.Im looking at you evening rock show djs.You know who you are.

Tony Fenton in his mid-atlantic drawl instructing you to get your air guitar out for the mighty "Jump" by Van Halen.Bleugh.

People talking about stuff they have no idea about.Especially journalists.

People that love any of those "Movie" movies.Date,Scary,whatever.
    Well people that just like sh!t in general.

Joe Duffy.

Gay Byrne.

Cravats.See above.Did RTE get a boxload?.Is that where our license fees are going?Silk Neckerchiefs!!!

Drama on RTE.

Comedy on RTE.

The Panel on The Panel.

People that like The Panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Oh yes a few other things to mention. The same rubbish songs been repeated constantly on our local/national radio stations, pop and dance music being the main culprits. Also an alarmingly inept knowledge of the English vocabulary. Do some people actually read? I could go on, but I will gracefully step aside and allow the next poster to vent their frustrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭C0SM0

What really annoys me is when people change the subject in the middle of something..
    So anyway did anyone see the football last night..? It was great.!!
    What's your favourite team by the way..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

kelator wrote: »
    People playing with their ringtones on the bus.

that and little twats with the latest rnb smash playing on the speaker of the phone BUY F***ING HEADPHONES
    +1 billion

Advertisement