Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Irratates you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Scangers
    D4 Heads
    People that cant take a beating
    Bouncers
    Travelers
    Them dopes that hang around temple bar
    Homeless people 'Changgeee'
    Smelly Rockers

Should be put into a huge furnace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

All the above is extremely difficult with major depressive disorder, bipolar disorder, ADHD etc. These conditions can severely disable you.

Many people with mental illness can't do all the things you have listed no matter how hard they try.

Small steps, and if you need help along the way (whether it be counselling or medication) then take whatever help is available.

The things I listed can't be achieved overnight, but they can be achieved by everyone with a bit of effort and patience.
    I'd agree most people are not happy due to medical reasons but what were arguing here (I thought) was the fact that you don't see mental illness as serious....

I know mental illness is a huge problem (I actually think most people are somewhat mentally ill), but I don't think people should turn to medication without first reflecting on themselves and their life.

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    People that cant take a beating

Haha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Small steps, and if you need help along the way (whether it be counselling or medication) then take whatever help is available.

The things I listed can't be achieved overnight, but they can be achieved by everyone with a bit of effort and patience.

I know mental illness is a huge problem (I actually think most people are somewhat mentally ill), but I don't think people should turn to medication without first reflecting on themselves and their life.

Well said!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

The things I listed can't be achieved overnight,
    but they can be achieved by everyone with a bit of effort and patience.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with this. If you seriously think about all the people you know do you think there all capable, seriously? Maybe if certain barriers (which you don't know about) were torn down. It's not always going to be as simple as it looks from outside.

Intelligence, family politics, aptitude....I could go on.

People don't usually go on medication as a be all and end all.

For example anti-depressants stop you from feeling really low. They keep you in a middle ground and give you the chance to rebuild your life.

Going on meds isn't a cop out. Many simple cannot pull themselves together without it....because there so low no progess gives them fulfillment.

You need fulfillment and feedback from what you are doing to stay motivated to do it. Impossible if your severely depressed.

A bipolar person can go either extreme - depressed or manic. Read some stories on the internet of people that have bi-polar and experienced episodes of mania. They do crazy stuff completely off the normality scale.

As for ADHD....simple things like not being able to concentrate on what another person is saying can completey impair their social functioning.

Not being able to concentrate in work or school and thus failing or getting fired.

When you have ADHD you can be very different from a normal person depending on how bad it is.

The solution here is medication and it changes many peoples lives around completely. Like an epiphany for them - there suddenly able to do normal things like read books or have an "actual" conversation with someone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Next time someone calls me "mad", "odd" or tells me I'moff my (head/rocker/whatever) I'm going to respond with.

"No, actually I am merely, chemically unbalanced"
    ;)

I'm afraid I have to disagree with this. If you seriously think about all the people you know do you think there all capable, seriously? Maybe if certain barriers (which you don't know about) were torn down. It's not always going to be as simple as it looks from outside.

Intelligence, family politics, aptitude....I could go on.

I think the difference between you and me is I firmly believe in "no excuses". Everyone can achieve the things I listed with effort and patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Workaccount and Aarrrgh - you're ruining a funny thread. STOP!!:(
    :p:pac:

I think the difference between you and me is I firmly believe in "no excuses". Everyone can achieve the things I listed with effort and patience.

As I said before you have no idea what your talking about....No experience, no expertise.

Come back to me with facts to prove your point I say once again.

I think the difference between me and you (and gp's, psychiatrists etc.) is that you have have an opinion with very little founding and very little willingness to open yourself up abit. I don't even understand your logic...you said before "I know depression is a problem" and now your gone back to babbling about "No excuses".
    What about your flatmate on that thread you had recently?? No excuses, right?
    Give it a rest now.

Depression etc. has a stigma problem in this country so don't feed it with your "opinion", ok?

I could think of a few things you could spend your life trying to improve rather than spending you time telling helpless people how to improve their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Right here's a few;

People who take threads like this seriously by extolling the psychological anguish depression suffers go through - please.
    Stupid people.
    Civil servants.
    Ignorant/rude people.
    Bullsh*tters.
    Fat people - it's not a disease...stop eating so much sh*t.
    Alcoholics - again it's not a disease...stop drinking so much.
    Taxi drivers.
    Knackers.
    Skangers.
    Boy racers.
    Celtic fans.
    Travellers.
    Anyone who is a sponge on the State. Why should I pay 41% of my hard earned money for these fu*kers to sit on their holes eating pot noodle and watching Trisha.
    All the foreign nationals living in this country who are still driving around on Polish, Latvian plates etc without having paid their VRT. Why should I have to pay through the nose for my car.
    Story toppers.
    Low talkers.
    Loud talkers.
    Idiots who claim to be 'big drinkers' just to sound cool.
    People that eat with their mouth open.
    Bad manners.
    People that slup their drink and then say ahhhhhh.
    People that say tae.
    Slow drivers.
    Drivers that sit in the overtaking lane at 60mph.
    Drivers that can't use indicators/roundabouts.
    Don't think this has been mentioned yet; those cretins that work for Barnardos or Amnesty etc that accost you in the middle of the street asking for 'only a few minutes' and trying to shake your hand - I'll give you something to shake!
    Idiots that hate you because you have an education, "I've spent 4 years in the university if life" - twat.
    Slow ATMers, especially women who stand in the ATM queue for ten minutes and when it's their turn then they decide to go routing in the bag to find the purse, then they have to route through the purse to find the laser card. Why didn't you do that when you were standing in the queue you tool!
    People who say lol.
    Parents who can't control their kids.
    Teachers who are only in it for the cheque - a lot of these.
    The cult of celebrity.
    Tabloid news papers...a mere extension of the above.
    Sky news - it's not news, it's gossip and human interest tripe.
    Those leftie beardie anti everything smug idiots.

and Tony Fenton.

• Advertisement

As I said before you have no idea what your talking about....No experience, no expertise.

LOL

Have you read your posts? As they say, a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I'm just as in tune with the world as the average person. The difference between you and me is you want to label your problems (and it seems, blame them on something other than yourself), whereas I want to solve my problems.

I'm sorry you don't have the strength to improve your life (that's not an attack, your posts are telling me that's how you feel) but not everyone is like you.

You're taking this way too personally and letting your own experience/emotions totally blur your perception of things.
    Come back to me with facts to prove your point I say once again.

You do know when someone says this it means they've lost?
    Tri wrote:
    Workaccount and Aarrrgh - you're ruining a funny thread. STOP!!

I really want to, but I don't think workaccount is going to stop insulting me and talking shite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    and Tony Fenton.
    Fcuk ya.. now there is a scurge on the nations ears

slideways wrote: »
    Fcuk ya.. now there is a scurge on the nations ears

You're a winner! Lets play some U2 or motown or maybe some Phil Lie-nott...ooooooh thats so good. Saw the greaseball at the Galway Races on ladies day wearing a white linen suit pink shirt and hairdresser sunglasses. His leather jacket must have been away for cleaning. I've never been closer to glassing someone in my life! If Tubridy had been there I would be spending Christmas in the joy:pac:

If I forget to brush my teeth in the morning, my gums always irritate me later in the day...

LOL

Have you read your posts? As they say, a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I'm just as in tune with the world as the average person. The difference between you and me is you want to label your problems (and it seems, blame them on something other than yourself), whereas I want to solve my problems.

I'm sorry you don't have the strength to improve your life (that's not an attack, your posts are telling me that's how you feel) but not everyone is like you.

You're taking this way too personally and letting your own experience/emotions totally blur your perception of things.

You do know when someone says this it means they've lost?

I really want to, but I don't think workaccount is going to stop insulting me and talking shite.

Youve been in so many arguments around this place I'm not going to bother with you anymore.

Your constantly trying to lower the argument to either "I'm more mature than you" "Oh you've lost the argument because you said this". There is no such thing as winning an argument "Mr. I'm so educated"

Even if there was a such thing as winning an argument....debates usually need to be based on facts which I have and you don't so how would you ever have equated that me asking you for your facts means I've "lost" the argument. :confused:

I'm gone through alot of your posts and tbh your such a hypocrite the way you carry on - you jump to make a person feel smaller than you - "Are you 8 years old" was one of your questions. You have no idea how to have an equal debate.
    Lol'ing at my original post! I could go on and on about you.

At least I admit I have problems and am dealing with them. You think your normal & perfect but your not - and that's where you lose because your far from it.

I do actually have a chemical imbalance. I can't function properly without medication but I suppose I should ignore my doctors advice and give myself a kick up the h*le because you say that's all I need.

You have no idea how much strength I have. More than most people I would say and others would agree.

This is my last post on the matter. You know what they say "Never argue with an idiot"

Any chance of a hug?

Right here's a few;

People who take threads like this seriously by extolling the psychological anguish depression suffers go through - please.

Fat people - it's not a disease...stop eating so much sh*t.
    Alcoholics - again it's not a disease...stop drinking so much.

It's a fairly serious thread. I know a girl who's depressed and a fella I know calls her a "stupid" b&tch because he does not understand. Shes not stupid though - far from it.

That irritates me - this is the "What irritates you thread"
    See where I'm going with this... :P

There's debates about whether obesity is a disease or not.
    Alcohol is a drug - and it's addictive. (It's not a disease but I don't think that's the point you were trying to make anyway)

Ah for christs sake, this is After Hours! It was never meant to be a 'fairly serious thread'. You obviously have serious issues, why not discuss them over in Personal Issues?

Youve been in so many arguments around this place I'm not going to bother with you anymore.

Your constantly trying to lower the argument to either "I'm more mature than you" "Oh you've lost the argument because you said this". There is no such thing as winning an argument "Mr. I'm so educated"

Even if there was a such thing as winning an argument....debates usually need to be based on facts which I have and you don't so how would you ever have equated that me asking you for your facts means I've "lost" the argument. :confused:

I'm gone through alot of your posts and tbh your such a hypocrite the way you carry on - you jump to make a person feel smaller than you - "Are you 8 years old" was one of your questions. You have no idea how to have an equal debate.
    Lol'ing at my original post! I could go on and on about you.

At least I admit I have problems and am dealing with them. You think your normal & perfect but your not - and that's where you lose because your far from it.

I do actually have a chemical imbalance. I can't function properly without medication but I suppose I should ignore my doctors advice and give myself a kick up the h*le because you say that's all I need.

You have no idea how much strength I have. More than most people I would say and others would agree.

This is my last post on the matter. You know what they say "Never argue with an idiot"

I don't understand.

You immediately started insulting me when I posted in this thread.

My opinion is worthless and your opinion is fact?

I'm sorry you need medication to get through your day, and I believe you that you have a chemical imbalance, but most people are not like you.

Most people could make huge improvements to their lives if they tackled some basic things like I stated earlier: family problems, work problems, relationship problems, money problems, health problems, ego problems, etc.

I am a big supporter of counselling, and I agree in anti-depressants as a temporary crutch, but you seem to want the world to believe that they should label their problems and blame something or someone else for them.

You have insulted me in nearly every post. I think you're being very unfair and unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hey guys, what's up. Why with all the agro? Your better than this, tone it down. There is no point in getting all worked up.

• Advertisement

Ah for christs sake, this is After Hours! It was never meant to be a 'fairly serious thread'. You obviously have serious issues, why not discuss them over in Personal Issues?

I just started off by writing a post about mental illness...perhaps a little heavy for after hours I suppose.

Why somebodydecided to lol at that is beyond me though. It was just one post - there was no need to make it into a big deal at all. It's just something that irritates me!

I'm finished with the argument anyways. He's abit too shifty if you ask me. One minute he's asking me if I had read "my posts" and the next he's trying to be agreeable. My post wasn't even a direct attack on him at all - I was just saying "some people".

Good luck to him.

He's abit too shifty if you ask me.

LOL, so unreasonable.

Give it a rest FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

ronnie3585 wrote:
    People who say lol.
    People that don't belong on the internet, on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Bad spellings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Dougalinho23

snyper wrote: »
    What Irratates me?
    • taking a sh!t and then realising im out of bog roll..ass rash.

The correct term is RING-STING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Dougalinho23

I'm not talking about positive thinking. WTF.

This is nuts.

I'm talking about solving the problems in your life, for example -

Losing weight
    Getting counselling
    Leaving the job you hate
    Fixing your relationship with your parents
    Getting rid of your drink/drug problem
    Leaving an unhappy relationship

AND, then adding positive things -

Loving relationship
    Close family
    Good job or business
    Exercise
    Taking care of yourself

ETC.

You're changing what you're saying now.

If you're sayng there are some people with a chemical imbalance, but they are severely in the minority, and they may never be happy without drugs, then no problem, we agree. Extreme minority though. Most people are not unhappy due to chemical reasons.

You sir are a life nit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 MMW

People who stare at me when my beloved angel acts up in public, as though I can't control him.....ever been a child? they all know thats the best time to act up so as to embarrass parents, we all did it!

You sir are a life nit

I'm not sure what that means!

Compliment or insult?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Drivers who open their doors and look out of it when reversing. ever hear of wing mirrors dickhead?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭C0SM0

Bus timetables- they are for advertisement only as no dublin bus runs on time..

Women who stand at bus stops for about 20 minutes, then when the bus does comes they have to root in their big bag of ****e to find their tiny purse and count out the exact fare holding everyone up- you c*nts know who you are.!! you've had plenty of time to get the fare ready.

Boyracers (with baseball hats a must) and their noisy exhausts- sounds like a F1 car is coming but it's a bleedin '95 Micra, '94 Fiesta or '92 Starlet. Idiots-

W*nkers cutting their grass at 11 o clock at night- c'mon people's kids are trying to get asleep.

Cyclists on roads when there is a cyclepath available to them, who sit in traffic and lean on cars- for f**ks sake get on the cyclepath and cycle home. Why does thie happen, am i missing something...?

That;s all for now but i will be back..

Advertisement