Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No waves in the west coast

Options
  • 30-07-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

what is it with the lack or absence of waves in the west coast , i have been checking magicseaweed the whole summer , and guess what , No waves present. I is it just me or it the lack of waves in the atlantic coast more prevelant this year than prev years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Magic seaweed is crap usually though, wouldnt trust it just use it as an indicator

I can tell you now that theres not going to be any waves at all for the next two weeks though ... Because its my only time home for 6 months :(

So I can guarantee the waves will cease to exist for those two weeks, same as they always do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

try checking out the surfshop webcams.I've often seen a no waves report on ms and on checking the cams went to lahinch and a great days surfing.Both Oceanscene and Lahinch surf shop have links on there homepage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Don't rely on forecast sites alone (especially not just one site). Check webcams and drive to the coast in different conditions, learn what works and doesn't work for your local spot.

I personally find Windguru better than MSW by the way (or maybe its just that I'm better used to reading/interpreting Windguru).

I wouldn't write off the whole summer, there's no telling what conditions are going to prevail a month from now. Hurricane season shouldn't be far off ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Theres been no epic days, this summer as far as I remember. Maybe a couple of big ish days in may/early june.
    Last summer had a good few days of properly big swells with decent wave periods pushing through alright.

Make sure to check the spectral charts as well, theres usually something somewhere. I find that MSW prioritises larger height@low period swells over smaller@longer period waves incorrectly. Sometimes those smaller, but more powerful waves will appear on your break, superceding the 5 foot wind chop that MSW said would appear. So be wary, or just use the FNMOC swell charts and Windguru for wind only.

At least the wind is manageable this time of year. Was out on a reef in west Sligo recently and it was firing at about 6-7 foot on the face, not horrible at all!

The waves will materialise anyways, come Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

http://www.windguru.com Is handy too.
    Went out to Lahinch last Saturday morning and it was as flat as Calista Flockhart, so I went down the road to Spanish Point and surfed 2-3ft waves there.
    Planning, location and luck are what you need during the summer months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tonyfillony

good damn July, the flatest time of year , bring on autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I would like to oppose - I was in Ennischrone two weeks ago and the waves were even bigger than I wanted. At least plenty of white water :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

In enniscrone most days since last week and it has been as flat as Keira knightly's chest! Very disapointed with the waves!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Was in Tullan yesterday. Few waves in the morning when the tide began to push but then it fizzled out. Really need to get a longboard for the Summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I am down under but i always check the surf back home out of habit.
    http://lahinchsurfshop.com/lahinch/magico.asp?magpage=3

So according to that there were 3 maybe 4 days of surf in Lahinch in the whole of July, by that I mean at least 2ft and wind not onshore. Is that normal? In fact, with Lahinch, it seems to rarely work, I mean how many days a year do you think you get nice offshore winds and a decend size? 50 days a year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭wimmy

what is it with the lack or absence of waves in the west coast , i have been checking magicseaweed the whole summer , and guess what , No waves present
    This I believe is called the summer :pac:

We'll have to wait end of August / mid Sept for anything worthy

Advertisement