Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Triumph Motorcycles ~ in the Movies

• 30-07-2008 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

At the risk of overdosing on just one Motorcycle Brandname, while chatting to a mate the other day (he owns a Hog 883) we reckon that Movie appearances by Triumph Bikes has been well & truly disproportionate to the size of this 'small to medium' motorcycle manufacturer, admittedly they 'were' a massive producer back in the day, but even now with the 'Big Jap 4' dominating World sales, Triumph still manage to grab much of the Movie limelight, the list below is probably not 100%, but it gives some idea of what I am talking about.

Triumph Thunder’b 650 “The Wild One” Marlon Brando 1953
    Triumph Trophy TR6 “The Great Escape” Steve McQueen 1963
    Triumph Bonnie T120 “Coogans Bluff” Clint Eastwood 1968
    Triumph T100 67R “Coogans Bluff” the fugitive 1968
    Triumph Trophy TR6 “Hell’s Angels” Bud Ekins 1969
    Triumph Bonnie T140 “Magnum Force” Clint Eastwood 1973
    Triumph Bonnie T140E “An Officer & a gent” Richard Gere 1982
    Triumph Thunder’b 885 “Barbed Wire” Pam Anderson 1996
    Triumph Speed triple “Mission Impos II” Tom Cruise 2000
    Triumph Daytona T595 “Mission Impos II” Jon Voight 2000
    Triumph Bonnie 790 “How to lose a Guy in” Mathew McConaughey 2003
    Triumph Bonnie 885 “Daredevil” Ben Affleck 2003
    Triumph America “Daredevil” Colin Farrell 2003
    Triumph Bonneville “Terminator III” Arnold S 2003
    Triumph Scrambler* “Mission Impos III” Tom Cruise 2006

Somewhat surprised that they used an 'MV Agusta' in Dark Knight ~ beautiful bike though :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Using a 63 unit construction TR6 by Steve Mc Queen in the great escape was one of the greatest movie cock ups at the time. He should have been on a period BSAM 20,, DKW or BMW. (He wouldn't have jumped the fence on anything period) This was as bad as using a Mark 1 Fazer in Veronica Guerons movie (Were not made at the time) when in reality a blade was used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Just wondering did they use two Bonneville choppers in 'Easy Rider' or two Harleys?

Anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,454 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Using a 63 unit construction TR6 by Steve Mc Queen in the great escape was one of the greatest movie cock ups at the time. He should have been on a period BSAM 20,, DKW or BMW. (He wouldn't have jumped the fence on anything period) This was as bad as using a Mark 1 Fazer in Veronica Guerons movie (Were not made at the time) when in reality a blade was used.

Film director sees a bike and is happy. Joe Moviegoer sees a bike and is happy. Nobody cares. Once when I was filling up my CBR600 with large HONDA logos clearly visible, a middle-aged woman asked me "Is that a Harley-Davidson?" ffs :rolleyes:

ArthurF, they were H-Ds all right, pic here...
    http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Arts/Arts_/Pictures/2007/04/20/nicolhopper460.jpg

Scrap the cap!

There are whispers about a long overdue re-make of the classic 1953 Biker Movie 'The Wild One' being made in the coming years, if so, it will be very interesting to see what Bikes they use in the re-make, personally I would cast a 'Speed triple' as the Bike belonging to the Brando character!

You don't work for triumph do you? :D

• Advertisement

Would really Love to ...........

Funny thing is, once this Thread & the other Triumph Thread fade away shortly there will be little or no talk of Triumph Bikes again (Thank God says you), and I find this curious considering their massive popularity throughout the rest of Europe & the States, although it has already been pointed out in the other Triumph Thread, this lack of popularity in the Republic is probably something to do with a distinct lack of Dealerships (KDI/Bikeworld being the only one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

ArthurF wrote: »
    There are whispers about a long overdue re-make of the classic 1953 Biker Movie 'The Wild One' being made in the coming years, if so, it will be very interesting to see what Bikes they use in the re-make, personally I would cast a 'Speed triple' as the Bike belonging to the Brando character!

That would be horrible.. The Wild One is one of my favourite movies. They(whoever) could never do it justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,454 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There are whispers about a long overdue re-make of the classic 1953 Biker Movie 'The Wild One'

:eek: there should be a law against remaking films like that. They could try getting some original ideas for a change instead of doing s**tty remakes of good films...

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mcyclist

Just wondering did they use two Bonneville choppers in 'Easy Rider' or two Harleys?

Anyone know?

They used two Harleys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

triumphs in metal gear solid 4 - 1050 Speed Triples, and a Bonnie

its practically a movie...

• Advertisement

Or maybe Ewan McGregor in Davidoff Adventure + Bonneville :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DvldSrhscuo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭freewing

ninja900 wrote: »
    Film director sees a bike and is happy. Joe Moviegoer sees a bike and is happy. Nobody cares. Once when I was filling up my CBR600 with large HONDA logos clearly visible, a middle-aged woman asked me "Is that a Harley-Davidson?" ffs :rolleyes:

I've a GL1500 Goldwing and I get that all the time . Or else I'm asked do they still make them like can you buy a new one:rolleyes:

Advertisement