Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fitting a Car Stereo, who will do it?

Options
  • 30-07-2008 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I just bought a new car stereo and naievely thought the old one would jst pop out and the new one would just pop in...
    Where can I go to get it installed as none of my friends are competent enough. I know Halfods fit them, but do they have to be devices that were bought in Halfords? I presume a normal garage would do them but I dont want to be paying big bucsk either.
    Thanks in adavce for all advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ooo its really really easy with the minimal knowledge, whats your current setup model????

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

Whats a setup model?:rolleyes:

Sorry , what vehicle and is the original stereo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Where do you live? I found a guy in the phone book who did it for €25 in about 5mins.

Illkillya wrote: »
    Where do you live? I found a guy in the phone book who did it for €25 in about 5mins.

you could do it for zero quid in 10mins :D

• Advertisement

Ah, its a Corsa and the old one is just the normal tape/radio that came with it. The new one is a one I bought in Lidl last week...Silvercrest or sumthing...

I am in Limerick city. What would they be listed under in the phonebook?

Tools two pieces of U shaped metal (cut up a coat hanger with a pliers)
    ISO connector block ( Ask in any motor factors ISO connecto block for Corsa Year ____)

Push the U shaped metal into the inserts either side of radio.
    Radio pops forward slightly. Pull it out rest of way with finger tips.

Disconnect old radio from wiring loom (should unclip and pull)
    Disconnect Antenna cable from old radio (Just pull)

Drop old radio in bin

Pull out the "cage" that held radio in with hands.

Take new cage out of new box.
    Insert cage into Gap. Bend back the supports with small screwdriver

Connect wiring loom to ISO connector block Connect ISO connector block to back of new radio
    Connect Antenna to to new radio.

Insert radio into cagem push back into place. Turn ignition .....Tunes :D

(ISO connector is just a small wiring loom that converts old vehicles wiring to the New ISO standard for radio installs)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭black & white

Go into one of the car accessory shops and they should have a few numbers of guys they use. There's a shop in the Jetland SC, not sure where else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

You need to go into a motor factors and get a Facisa so the new stero will fit in. You may also need to get adaptor leads for the power etc. Also pick up a set of removal tools. Should be less than €50.00 for all this. Teh removal tool clips in the holes on either side of the radio and allow you to slide the radio out. Unplug the cables from the back (don't let them fall behind the dash, might be arkward to find again) and thats the radio out. Put the new facisa in and then plug the new radio into the leads that were in the old radio tothe new one, don't forget hte aerial. Test it before sliding into place. Once radio comes on, slide into the facisa. Presto finished.
    Editr just seen listermint post. follow that.

listermint wrote: »
    Tools two pieces of U shaped metal (cut up a coat hanger with a pliers)
    ISO connector block ( Ask in any motor factors ISO connecto block for Corsa Year ____)

Push the U shaped metal into the inserts either side of radio.
    Radio pops forward slightly. Pull it out rest of way with finger tips.

Disconnect old radio from wiring loom (should unclip and pull)
    Disconnect Antenna cable from old radio (Just pull)

Drop old radio in bin

Pull out the "cage" that held radio in with hands.

Take new cage out of new box.
    Insert cage into Gap. Bend back the supports with small screwdriver

Connect wiring loom to ISO connector block Connect ISO connector block to back of new radio
    Connect Antenna to to new radio.

Insert radio into cagem push back into place. Turn ignition .....Tunes :D

(ISO connector is just a small wiring loom that converts old vehicles wiring to the New ISO standard for radio installs)

This is gonna sound terrible and girly but that all sounds abit tricky and w/o guidance of a personal nature (ie someone standing over me) I think it might be more hassle... I actually did do that with the coat hangers but theres something stopping me from pulling it out. It would aslo mean me having to puy pliers and a screwdriver...
    But thanks for your unwavering optimism :cool:

• Advertisement

boarddotie wrote: »
    This is gonna sound terrible and girly but that all sounds abit tricky and w/o guidance of a personal nature (ie someone standing over me) I think it might be more hassle... I actually did do that with the coat hangers but theres something stopping me from pulling it out. It would aslo mean me having to puy pliers and a screwdriver...
    But thanks for your unwavering optimism :cool:

No probs man , :D I guess i just like to get in there. Alternate call into the local audio shop, even motor factors. They will charge you but dont bother with halfords. in general they are pretty clueless.

listermint wrote: »
    No probs man , :D

When I said my response was gonna sound girly, i meant because Im a girl :p

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

no facia adaptor required for the 90's Corsa.

Advertisement