Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seized by customs?

• 30-07-2008 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Anyone that's been following the m203 legality thread will have seen that some stuff has been getting seized by customs lately. Silly stuff too, not even AEGs. So in the interest of getting as much info as possible together in one place, if you've had stuff seized by customs, please post here what you've had seized and what the current status is. Also make sure to say what retailer it is coming from if possible, trying to see if there is a trend.

Package Contents: Eotech replica sight, Sound hog flashhider, Tactical Foregrip, steel tooth piston.

Status: Has been in customs since 10th July, spent a couple of weeks trying to find out what was going on, eventually told it was seized to ensure it complies with Firearms legislation. Was told to contact a Conal Fagan who deals with this stuff, he seemed to know what Airsoft was and when I explained to him the contents of the package he seemed happy enough. Also had two Gardai visit me at home in relation to this package and once I explained everything and that I was a genuine airsoft player and member of the IAA etc... they seemed happy enough. Package has still not arrived, but I was told early this week, if there is no sign by Friday I will get in touch with customs again.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Package contents : vsr ms100 spring , cylinder head and spring guide for vsr version 2 gearbox , version 3 gearbox

Status : taken from ups in cork by customs for "assesment" apparently they'll ring me in a couple of days.
    update : according to ups it has been siezed.accordingly they have advised me that they have nothing further to do with the matter and the package is deemed to be "delivered"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Shouldn't we be talking about stuff that's actually siezed because they reckon it's a firearm? That's what happened with the m203, whereas these two cases seem more like "You might get it eventually, but it freaks us out a bit".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

The Eotech replica sight was investigated as they believed it was a fire arms part, it does seem that there is a crack down ( wrong work as airsoft is not illegal but best way to explain it ) on all airsoft items which seems to have increased of late so all example should be posted, this would show is it is only' firearms related items they believe are for real steel firearms or can be converted or weather is a blanked sweep on airsoft items or just random.

But this thread is for reports of items and not discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

As Puding said, reports only here please, at the moment i'm just trying to give a clear picture of what's actually being seized, the stuff that I've heard of being seized so far has all been accessories (yes, an m203 is an accessory) and nobody has reported any AEGs or GBB pistols being seized which ordinarily I would expect to be more likely to be seized. It should also help to give an idea if orders from any particular retailers are being seized more so and hopefully we can figure out why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

People should clarify also if the item has been seized or has just gone into customs for a couple of days for charges, plenty of people confuse the difference when making their first purchases and only seizures are relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lacrobat

I ordered a VFC SCAR-H from redwolf ,customs have had it for over four weeks now.Whats really annoying is that they didn't even tell me they are holding it, I had to find out through tnt website.

I ordered a VFC SCAR-H from redwolf ,customs have had it for over four weeks now.Whats really annoying is that they didn't even tell me they are holding it, I had to find out through tnt website.

have you been in contact with customs in regard to this? or have you been ion contact with tnt?

ok here is what ups say about something SIEZED look up this no.

H7931508543 - its o.k. theres no personal info there

check who signed for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Signed by Customs. Jeez thats harsh. No reason given at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

There could be an issue over that like if the retailer sees its been signed and you never recieve it the retailer says its been signed for and doesnt want to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Is it only items coming in from Asia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

just to inform people on the situation, as informed to me by an post employees

Address' are no flagged from certain senders ( in this case airsoft stores)

where items are automatically put through the custom system, and in this system, some of the parcels are checked, but still all travel through the system which adds additonal delivery time.

And recently with the surge of oversees orders, more and more packages are having to be opened, then when opened, in aegs case, have to be tested.

These are for items coming through an post, a national service.

So all items, aegs, accessories even a pencil, will go through customs once coming from a certain address.

you are extremely lucky if you slip through the net.

You can contact the an post customs department, and politely enquire about your parcels and receive some sort of response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Must be everything coming from HK then. I got a non airsoft related item caught by customs and when I called to find out about it the first thing they asked before getting the tracking number was "Is it coming from Hong Kong?"
    Took 3 weeks to get my package too, they had sent the demand for duty letter to the wrong address despite my address being clearly PRINTED on the package.
    Off topic perhaps but thought it might be relevant to this thread.

Might be relevant too but the package went to the Dublin Mail Centre in Dublin 12 (Parkwest to be specific). You can actually collect your package from there once they release it if you want it quickly. It is open from 8am to 7pm as far as I can remember.

Then again it does suprise me with the amount of imported goods that we do not get more problems, to my eyes, we have very few cases of items being seized or goods going for offical testing, i only know of 1 confirmed case of official aeg testing, and with the amount of aegs coming into the country that are ##not going to pay it but we all know its happening stop kidding yourself ## im shocked we don;t have more problems.

I think the hong kong issue question is not just for airsoft but for a lot of imported goods since the ebay boom hong kong has become a major hub for sellers and from by explorations on ebay you can see that every time of item can be got from a HK retailer and i can only imagine the volume of goods coming into the country from hong kong, it could just be that there targeting hong kong imports in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭nonex

some irish stuff has been getting seized by the UK customs, some time's package's coming from HK, go true england and then on to ireland, i had a letter from the UK customs, as any airsoft guns that are metal are been checked, and if this is the case it will show up on the irish customs as held, as the irish and the UK customs work together.

really that should not be happening, that sounds more like the issues ems and airmail have been having with parcels passing thought England and the rif laws, know if you have documentation from uk customs in regard to this I’m positive Motosam would like to get his hands on them as he is currently trying to resolve the issue

Yeah any actual instances of stuff being stopped and any correspondence you received would help to document the issue.

Republic of Ireland Metal RIF Notice

What is this notice about?
    It has been bought to our attention that there have been some delays with full metal Airsoft Replicas (RIFs) being delivered to customers in the Republic of Ireland. However, all the orders affected have eventually turned up without any problems, just taking longer than normal, up to 4 weeks in some cases.

Who does it affect?
    All Republic of Ireland customers purchasing a Airsoft Replica (RIF) that has largely metal construction.

What is the cause?
    From what we've been told, this happens when Air based postal methods are used for posting metal Airsoft replicas. They are then X-Rayed before boarding an Aircraft and then flagged, usually being down graded to Surface Mail, which is a slow 1-3 week ground only method. This is of course a security measure that Airports use to make sure that no gun shaped metal items, regardless of what they are board Aircraft, which we are sure you can understand.

What can we do?
    We recommend that customers purchasing metal Airsoft replicas that are being shipped to the Republic of Ireland select Royal Mail International Signed For Surface mail to begin with, which will save you some money over the Air based methods. With this issue both Surface and Air postal methods should take the same length of time to reach you. Secondly please be patient, as long as you are aware of this issue we see no reason why you shouldn't purchase should you be willing to wait.

Are you working on a solution?
    Yes, we are currently looking into non-Royal Mail international services, however most couriers either don't allow RIFs or charge ridiculous amounts for international items. So for now Royal Mail still offer the best solution.

the royal mail deal with all post in the UK, so if it gets flagged in england it will get flagged by an post here

Is that notice from UK customs?

• Advertisement

it's a small bit from the letter

wording does not sound like it came directy from customs, i;ve seen it somewhere before i think i came across it posted on a retailors web site in the uk that imports from the hong kong for you can not recall the name

just remembered where i came across it before, it is posted by
    www.crw-airsoft.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Puding wrote: »
    just remembered where i came across it before, it is posted by
    www.crw-airsoft.com

Also the same as what is here
    http://www.airsoft-direct.co.uk/roinotice.php

i buy a lot of airsoft grear, and a lot of time it comes true england,
    so it most be the same for the shops as the sites, so they have it up on there web sites.

got a note in the door this morning,

apparently siezed for being gun parts
    and either

a) were imported without payment of any duty

b) are being , or are intended to be , exported without paying duty

or my personal favourite ......

c) "and whether or not the conveyence was made use of in the importation or exportation of the said goods"

in the words of kirk " analysis doctor spock ?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

horgan_p wrote: »
    got a note in the door this morning,

apparently siezed for being gun parts
    and either

a) were imported without payment of any duty

b) are being , or are intended to be , exported without paying duty

Me thinks somebody somewhere inside customs has been given new responsibility and is trying to make a name for themselves by being "diligent" whilst also not engaging brain.

that was my reading of it as well.
    i'll give them a ring in a bit and see if i cant arrange to meet them and explain properly what the items are and their proper use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Maybe the normal people in Customs who actually know what airsoft equipment is are on their summer hols this week and whoever is covering hasn't a clue.

• Advertisement

well the people dealing with pauls parcel must know somthing as it contained parts a couple of gearboxs and vsr parts, know i don;t know if its simply a case of it has a trigger must be gun or what but its getting annoying know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Puding wrote: »
    well the people dealing with pauls parcel must know somthing as it contained parts a couple of gearboxs and vsr parts, know i don;t know if its simply a case of it has a trigger must be gun or what but its getting annoying know

That can be put down to ignorance of the law and/or what airsoft is, but what really sets alarm bells off for me is the claims of attempted import/export without duty paid. Customs are the ones who issue duty notices - so claiming attempted import/export with no duty paid is their issue in the first place and not grounds for seizure before notice has been issued.

Only reason for that i can see is the fact that a lot of shops under declare the value of the goods all the time or give you an option to choose how much is declared on the invoice, 100% 80% 70% 60~% 50 % all the way down, know i believe customs must be aware of this.

Well, bit of good news, my package finally arrived this morning after a 3 week layover in customs :)

When I opened it and finally got my hands on the eotech I can actually understand a bit more why they were concerned, it really does look and feel like a real one (well, i've never held a real one, but you know what I mean), it's a heavy little unit and quite solid, alot of airsoft red dots look and feel nothing like it.

The Noveske Sound Hog replica was also a point of concern for them when talking to the Gardai last week and I dismissed it as nothing at the time (thinking the sight was the main point), but again, I can understand a bit more now, for such a small piece it is really heavy and solid, weighs about 1/2kg and does feel like it could possibly be something for use on a real rifle, if I knew nothing about the sound hog or airsoft, looking at it I would think that it was some form of supressor for a real gun.

Edit: Oh, and no customs charges \o/

i have to agree it must be hard for someone not involved in the sport to keep up with clones and copys and replics and new items, to even people inside the sport it can be hard and for most people a gun sight is a gun sight, if it looks liek a rose and smells like a ross etc etc and all that

and its always possible that peopel could try get parts into ireland buy declaring them as an airsoft item

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

kdouglas wrote: »
    When I opened it and finally got my hands on the eotech I can actually understand a bit more why they were concerned, it really does look and feel like a real one (well, i've never held a real one, but you know what I mean), it's a heavy little unit and quite solid, alot of airsoft red dots look and feel nothing like it.

Good news! Looking forward to a review and some pics of that eotech!
    Planning on getting one at some stage.

~B

• Advertisement

well i'm going to try to meet someone from customs in cork later today hopefully , and see if we can open some form of dialogue with them for the cork club / site.
    sort of a help me to help you kind of thing , offer the use of a chrono or at least my phone number if they need to enquire about anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

Gran Hermano I've a feeling you may be correct since mid july - mid august is big holiday time so that may be all it is!

right lads , just off the phone with customs in cork.
    very nice , very helpful lady rang me back there .
    i have a meeting with customs in cork on wednesday week , the 13th of august.
    from what i understand they wold like me to run through a few things with them re: airsoft in general.i was asked to bring an aeg , pistol and spring rifle to show them what airsoft is and more importantly isnt and explain what airsoft parts are.the lady did mention they do have a couple of guards who are interested in airsoft in general who they go to when they have a query.

I intend in bringing up a chrono and some bbs and just show them what our proceedure in the shop is and also on the cork site.
    she did mention something very worrying though , that someone in cork has been found importing copper bbs.i explained that the ones we use are generally bio degradable and the weight and dimensions of a bb.

hopefully this will be the start of a dialogue ( at least in cork) between players and customs in the hopes of making everyone's life easier.

Good work man.

I wouldn't be too bothered about the copper BBs to be honest, might be worth pointing out to them that even in a 1 Joule airsoft gun, copper BBs, although heavier, will still fire at 1 Joule. I would of course be concerned that someone might intend using copper BBs in a higher powered gun, however preventing +1J airsoft devices should be a higher priority than stopping copper BBs.

Its worth noting that a copper bb etc. is no more dangerous than a plastic one, its energy will remain the same, if its heavier its velocity drops etc.

edit: what I get for not refreshing the page before I reply, good man kd :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Sam Fisher

Got letter this morning from Custom & Excise Enforcement, Revenue House, Assumption Road, Blackpool, Cork.

Notice is hereby given that certain goods, to wit,

1 M4 QD SILENCER AND 1 TORNADO GRENADE

being goods the importation of which is prohibited by Section 42 of the Customs Consolidation Act, 1876, were seized by me pursuant to Section 202 of Customs Consolidation Act, 1876, on 1st August at Revenue House, Assumption Road, Blackpool, Cork, that said goods being liable to forfeiture under Section 177 of the Customs Consolidation Act, 1876.

Gillian Hyde
    Office of Customs & Excise.

Then there a second page stating that I have to writing to them within a month to claim the seized goods.

Anyone know what this is all about? Or does anyone has a number for their office so I can call them and find out what's going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

Maybe ask someone on the legal forum could they clarify those acts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭monksavage

Sam Fisher wrote: »
    Got letter this morning from Custom & Excise Enforcement, Revenue House, Assumption Road, Blackpool, Cork.

Notice is hereby given that certain goods, to wit,

1 M4 QD SILENCER AND 1 TORNADO GRENADE

being goods the importation of which is prohibited by Section 42 of the Customs Consolidation Act, 1876, were seized by me pursuant to Section 202 of Customs Consolidation Act, 1876, on 1st August at Revenue House, Assumption Road, Blackpool, Cork, that said goods being liable to forfeiture under Section 177 of the Customs Consolidation Act, 1876.

Gillian Hyde
    Office of Customs & Excise.

Then there a second page stating that I have to writing to them within a month to claim the seized goods.

Anyone know what this is all about? Or does anyone has a number for their office so I can call them and find out what's going on.

I got the very same letter lad. They took my M203. Didnt tink theyd do that with a fuking silencer and nade!
    Written a letter appealing the decision as we speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

The tornado's etc are being stopped due to the unfortunate nature of their use. They appear, for all intents and purposes to the untrained eye, to be grenades which are prohibited. It's very difficult to get someone in the customs places to speak to because they are snowed under with a massive increase in the airsoft goods being imported (apparently). While the devices break no law nor contravene any legal prohibitions the customs folks don't seem to see the difference - and the only way to check is to forward them onto ballistics.

Its a sad and extremely annoying fact that beuraucracy rarely keeps up with technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION
    The importation of firearms and ammunition is prohibited except (i) under licence issued by the
    Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Department of Justice Equality and Law Reform, 94 St.
    Stephens Green, Dublin 2. Tel.(01) 6028202, LoCall 1890 221 227, website: http://www.justice.ie.) or
    (ii) by the holder of a current firearm certificate in respect of the firearm (Firearms Acts 1925 to 2000.)
    For the purpose of this prohibition the term “firearm” means:
    (a) a lethal firearm or other lethal weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other
    missile can be discharged;
    (b) an airgun (which expression includes an air rifle and an air pistol) or any other weapon
    incorporating a barrel from which metal or other slugs can be discharged;
    (c) a crossbow;
    (d) any type of stun gun or other weapon for causing any shock or other disablement to a person by
    means of electricity or any other kind of energy emission;
    (e) a prohibited weapon (which expression means and includes any weapon of whatever
    description designed for the discharge of any noxious liquid, noxious gas or other noxious thing,
    and also any ammunition (whether for any such weapon as aforesaid or for any other weapon)
    which contains or is designed or adapted to contain any noxious liquid, noxious gas or other
    noxious thing);
    (f) any article which would be a firearm under any of the foregoing paragraphs but for the fact that,
    owing to the lack of a necessary component part or parts, or to any other defect or condition, it is
    incapable of discharging a shot, bullet or other missile or of causing a shock or other disablement
    (as the case may be);
    (g) save where the context otherwise requires, any component part of any article referred to in any
    of the foregoing paragraphs and, for the purposes of this definition, the following articles shall be
    deemed to be such component parts as aforesaid:
    (i) telescope sights with a light beam, or telescope sights with an electronic light amplification
    device or an infra-red device, designed to be fitted to a firearm specified in paragraph (a), (b),
    (c) or (e) and
    (ii) a silencer designed to be fitted to a firearm specified in paragraph (a), (b) or (e).
    got this from the revenue site check out the last line

here is the link
    http://www.revenue.ie/pdf/02_01_CETI_06.pdf

ordered 3 items of ebaybanned and got 2 of them but not the silencer, i think i have one of the above letters on the way :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

According to that though, the items are being seized based on the parts being usable on firearms, airguns and prohibited items. Airsoft devices are none of those three. It seems some has their wires crossed about the interpretation or they don't know these items cannot be used on anything other than airsoft devices due to materials, tolerances, sizes etc.

Taking the silencer for example, it does look like a real silencer. But, due to the type of materials used, and the method of construction, it will not function as a real silencer. Nor will it fit to any rs rifle. If it were to be somehow modified to fit a rifle, it would serve no purpose and, on a firearm, would most likely shatter/break/melt after the first shot without silencing anything.

This seems to be the same issue other have been having, customs seem to believe your importing real firearms parts of accessory for firearms, other have had to prove that the items are airsoft related and not for use on real firearms.

I can see there issue with tornado grenades but i know off parcels of just the grenades that have been inspected by customs already and released, your best bet is to phone and talk to a human being, stay carm and take your time to explain to them what the items are for and provide any information they ask for.

Hopeful they will release these items once they confirm that indeed they are only for airsoft, but as i said know 100% that customs in cork have previously inspected the grenades and then released them as fine so a bit of presidency for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

just put the last one up quickly

the act they quoted was an old one.
    when replying refer to
    "Criminal Justice Act 2006
    part 5. section 26 (b)"

it was ammeded to state air-rifles with a greater muzzle energy then 1 joule.

therefore the siliencer is not designed to fit a firearm, just hope they dont want to take your rifle for testing :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭monksavage

Silencers for real guns arent illegal in Ireland anyways, you only need a permission slip from your local supt to fit one to a rifle.
    My M203 was siezed on the grounds that it could be converted to fire live ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Sam Fisher

Folks, many thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

Now, should I just write to them and tell them it's not for real firearms and see what happens? Or is there any thing I have to attached (i.e. a letter from the supplier and explain the situation) to the letter which may help?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement