Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Site-Owner responsibilities

• 30-07-2008 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just a question please, what are the legalities surrounding responsibility for websites that include forums in ROI?

Does responsibility lie soley with the site-owners for the content of any user's posts, or does the user share responsibility for the content of their posts?

I know that Ireland is very odd in this regard, and would appreciate any observations or information. I recognise this is a hot subject, and am not trying to sh*t-stir or cause any problems, so if this thread is out of bounds, please lock/delete as appropriate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

Hi,

Just a question please, what are the legalities surrounding responsibility for websites that include forums in ROI?

Does responsibility lie soley with the site-owners for the content of any user's posts, or does the user share responsibility for the content of their posts?

I know that Ireland is very odd in this regard, and would appreciate any observations or information. I recognise this is a hot subject, and am not trying to sh*t-stir or cause any problems, so if this thread is out of bounds, please lock/delete as appropriate.

Ireland is not the only one grappling with unprecedented legal issues popping up from new technologies. There are many facets regarding responsibility - are you referring to any in particular?

From recollection, the main ones are
    * Data protection / privacy. E.g. In the European case of Lindqvist a users post on a website (regarding a foot injury) constituted an illegal transfer of sensitive personal data to third countries and the site owner was fined.

* Defamation. In Dow Jones v. Gutnik the Australian plaintiff's defamation claim was upheld in the US as this was the location of the publication servers. Threw up a whole spate of jurisdiction issues.

* Intellectual property. E.g. AllofMP3.com was attacked with a suit from the Recording Association of America with a claim for damages of US$1.65 trillion. (calculated as $150,000 for every breach of intellectual property between two specified dates) Case later withdrawn and AllofMP3 folded due in part to the removal of it's merchant payment services offered by Visa and Mastercard, American pressure against Russian WTO membership. Legislation in Denmark was introducted imploring Danish ISP's to block the site from users in that country also.

I'm sure other posters have a host of much more informative case law on these issues, but generally speaking the area is undeveloped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I mean primarily message boards like this one and other forums. Especially with regard to libellous comments that could potentially be made by users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

Many prominent discussion forums are administered (like this one). While I'm not familiar with the exact particulars of internet defamation cases , I know there have been varying degrees of success for plaintiffs involved with same. Presumably, the sites moderate their users in a "prevention is better than cure" style, ensuring they are not affixed with liability in the absense of legislation or solid precedent.

Thanks for the replies Rhonda9000, interesting posts!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Especially with regard to libellous comments that could potentially be made by users.

The owners of the site are responsible for comments made by posters.
    Hence, a site like Boards has to be careful with regards to this kind of thing.

• Advertisement

It sounds insane, I mean sites in the US can more or less say anything they like (Free Speech) but Ireland, although supportive of free speech hammers the publisher instead of the author.

I suppose you just have to delete posts and warn people when the letter arrives from the solicitor. Are there any plans to revise these laws?

Advertisement