Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just found my old car for sale, something aint right!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Hmmmmm , I think I'll call him and see if he can supply FSH for any car , He could be a handy contact :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Advise the Gardai immediately, before someone gets stung with that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭positron

May be he drove it in reverse for two years! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

He/she should be stopped before somebody buys it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Homer

Well they have been emailed the link to this thread so they know about the discrepancy.
    They may be innocent (and is until proven otherwise) but then again it wouldnt be the first time a car dealer has fiddled with the mileage on a second hand car now would it?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

I remember looking at that car at the time. It was on carzone or cbg, I was thinking about buying it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

AudiChris wrote: »
    Advise the Gardai immediately, before someone gets stung with that car.

Good idea, I am all for this sort of thing to be stopped, but what are the guards actually going to do?

You need to know a Guard with some time on his hands to get to the bottom of this.

Suppose the man is innocent and bought from a garage with less that 90k on the clock. Then what happens? The Garage denies the fact that they ever clocked the car etc. Although I think the Guards can prosecute if they have evdince.

Suppose the guy is guilty......someone already sent him a link this site so now he is aware.

I really dispise clocking cars tho. All your hard work keeping the car well maintained, serviced and generally looked after. You sell it to a person who gets a nice motor.
    They sell it clocked later on to a person who gets a dodgy motor and make big money. --> Your money really. (cost of a well maintained car)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

cashmni1 wrote: »
    Good idea, I am all for this sort of thing to be stopped, but what are the guards actually going to do?

You need to know a Guard with some time on his hands to get to the bottom of this.

Suppose the man is innocent and bought from a garage with less that 90k on the clock. Then what happens? The Garage denies the fact that they ever clocked the car etc. Although I think the Guards can prosecute if they have evdince.

Suppose the guy is guilty......someone already sent him a link this site so now he is aware.

I really dispise clocking cars tho. All your hard work keeping the car well maintained, serviced and generally looked after. You sell it to a person who gets a nice motor.
    They sell it clocked later on to a person who gets a dodgy motor and make big money. --> Your money really. (cost of a well maintained car)

It's illegal to sell a car that you know to be clocked without advising the new buyer first.

If the current owner's unaware the car's been clocked, the Gardai could make him aware and remind him of his duty to advise any potential purchaser accordingly. It would also give him the ability to go back to whoever sold him the car and ask if they were aware the mileage had changed (not too likely).

If the current owner is aware it's clocked, the Gardai can again make sure he knows his responsibility to inform the new owner.

The car will have to be sold eventually, the owner won't keep it forever, I'm just worried that the new owner will be taken advantage of. As long as they know the mileage is wrong and the FSH is false, they can alter their bid for the car appropriately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

What are the chances you have your NCT cert from march 2006 (assuming you owned the car then?)- that would be proof of mileage and it could be used to prove when the car was clocked. Or who was in possession of the car when clocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

4700euro for a 97 A4, overpriced tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

could be a typo. 102000 120000?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Then it would have the exact same mileage it had 2 years ago, which would still be suspicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

What are the implications if a car is returned for NCT in 2 years with lower mileage than previous?

disgusted with ads. in a certain publication offering "mileage correction"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

That would suggest he didn't drive it at all for 2 years. It's possible, seeing as he managed to find a full service history for it that the previous owner didn't have!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

maybe it had a diferent engone put into it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

pa990 wrote: »
    maybe it had a diferent engone put into it..

Doesn't matter, there's more to a car than the engine - clock should never be altered in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

phutyle wrote: »
    Then it would have the exact same mileage it had 2 years ago, which would still be suspicious.

people round that type of thing off

maybe its above 120,000 and below 130,000

he rounded it down to 120,000 but wrote 102,000 by mistake

either way, get on with your life, there are con artists in this world for one reason, because there is also a huge supply of stupid people, if you don't let these stupid people do stupid things they'll never learn

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

either way, get on with your life, there are con artists in this world for one reason, because there is also a huge supply of stupid people, if you don't let these stupid people do stupid things they'll never learn
    So the next car I sell with 127,000 miles I will round it off to 120,000 when advertising it, great way to get rid of a buyer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

You dont have to be stupid to buy a clocked car . It could happen to anyone and there is no way of verifying milage of a car in Ireland , unlike the UK.

Does anyone know what penalties there are for car clocking ? I've never heard of anyone being done for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Sam Kade wrote: »
    So the next car I sell with 127,000 miles I will round it off to 120,000 when advertising it, great way to get rid of a buyer :rolleyes:
    Some ppl are cheeky enough to do this. I enquired about a car that had "about 90 thousand" on the clock. When I get there it had 99,700.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

This type of crap could be stamped out in the blink of an eye if the NCT records were made public. They wouldn't have to publish any personal details - just the date of test and the milage.

I know you can pay and get a reprint of any cert - I don't think they'll give them to anyone except the owner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I see the timing belt was changes at 100K, OP did you get the timing belt changed and did your mechanic write 100K on the timing belt cover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ResDub

Barr wrote: »
    You dont have to be stupid to buy a clocked car . It could happen to anyone and there is no way of verifying milage of a car in Ireland , unlike the UK.

Does anyone know what penalties there are for car clocking ? I've never heard of anyone being done for it

If someone is caught Knowingly selling a clocked car they can get done with deception carries massive fines and prison sentences. I know of a garage up in Inchicore (since gone bust) that got done as they were at it wholesale. Had to compensate everyone they conned.

The problem is proving the knowing bit, say this car in this ad was passed on in the trade three or four times and is clocked along they way its hard to find out "who done it" as most traders don't keep records and there may be a few people in the chain between the op who can say for sure what the mileage was.

Clocking is ruining car sales and its only a matter of time before they bring in laws obliging traders to record mileage when cars are sold. Opening up the NCT mileage records would be a massive help.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

noblestee wrote: »
    What are the chances you have your NCT cert from march 2006 (assuming you owned the car then?)- that would be proof of mileage and it could be used to prove when the car was clocked. Or who was in possession of the car when clocked.
    The NCT do not provide mileage records apparently because of data protection towards previous owners or something!
    snowman707 wrote: »
    What are the implications if a car is returned for NCT in 2 years with lower mileage than previous?
    Absolutely none!
    SteveC wrote: »
    This type of crap could be stamped out in the blink of an eye if the NCT records were made public. They wouldn't have to publish any personal details - just the date of test and the milage.

I know you can pay and get a reprint of any cert - I don't think they'll give them to anyone except the owner though.
    Yet another bullshít piece of logic in the NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

dingding wrote: »
    I see the timing belt was changes at 100K, OP did you get the timing belt changed and did your mechanic write 100K on the timing belt cover?

to be honest i cant remember when the tb was done on my car, i think there was something tippexed on the engine cover though.

But the car was updated as sold today, either it was sold, or hes trying other avenues to sell it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

kbannon wrote: »
    The NCT do not provide mileage records apparently because of data protection towards previous owners or something!

If he had the piece of paper then that would have the mileage at the time he got the NCT done though. No need to contact the NCT again to verify...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You don't honestly believe that nonsense you just wrote do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Cionád wrote: »
    If he had the piece of paper then that would have the mileage at the time he got the NCT done though. No need to contact the NCT again to verify...

That would be great if they could actually read the mileage correctly. At my NCT they recorded the my car mileage by using the trip odometer reading and even got that wrong at 67356 miles (it actually read 6725.6 miles). My car only had 27000 miles on it. They never get it right, unfortunately i didn't notice until a couple of weeks later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

sold

more likely removed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

brightkane wrote: »
    Heres my old car I sold 2 yrs ago,

http://www.octane.ie/ads/car.php?id=256

Heres it for sale on carzone now, with 20k less miles, and also a full service history, (there wasnt any when i sold it)!

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/car/1126454

few things changed but its the same car, same reg!

So what have you done to get to the bottom of this?

Grow some balls and make this an interesting thread. :rolleyes:

Advertisement