Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central heating boiler not working after two months!

Options
  • 30-07-2008 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on this. While the weather was good I turned the central heating (LPG fired) off in my house. It's been off since May. Last night being cr*p and a bit chilly I decided to turn it on but nothing has happened.

It's a Heatline Compact boiler - the display on the front shows a green standby LED and several red ones which normally stay on when the boiler is working (or flash depending on if there is a problem). It's also brand new- was only commissioned last October.

The standby LED remains on when I turn it on showing that power is getting to the boiler butnone of the red ones are flashing. I don't know if it's to do with water pressure which might have fallen since the boiler was turned off (?).

I'm sure its a simple problem that a plumber would laugh at and I suppose I should have set it to come on a couple of times a week to keep it ticking over.

Any ideas or should I call in the professionals?

Cheers,
    Aglomerado

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Your within your rights to have it checked under warranty. Find out who installed it and get them to look at it.

The water pressure should be at 1bar, but 1 & 1/2bar is better, off the top of my head the LED should be flashing if it's low water, it maybe that your boiler is not getting a call signal from a external control, so if you have a room stat try turning it up to max or if you have a two port valve controlling your heating, it maybe stuck in the closed position, the valve is a box like shape fitted on a pipe and has a cable fitted to it, normally fitted in the hot press(i am assuming this is not a combi and you have a cylinder in your hot press) if you have one you can check to see if it's in the open position by looking for a little arm that sticks out one of the sides and moving it along it's length of travel and on the way back you can guide it in to a little Groove which will hold it open and send a call to the boiler, good luck,Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Cool, thanks guys. I have a cylinder in my hotpress so I'll have a look tomorrow and post an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Well just had a look. The box "myson power extra" (motorised valve) on the cylinder is exactly as you described Gary. The switch is labelled "Auto" and "Manual Override". I alternated between the two settings but nothing happened. This also has a red LED which normally stayed lighting when the boiler was on, as I remember, but it doesn't light now whether on manual override or auto. I had a look on mysons website and in the FAQ http://www.myson.ie/pages/faqs.htm#question18 there is a simple action to take when it fails to function so I'll take a look at that.

(If all else fails the builders have generally been helpful in the past so I could easily ask them to send a plumber round)

Cheers for the help!

I would have expected the led to come on when you moved the little arm to the end of it's travel(it maybe the valve is for hot water, so see if the led comes on if you switch your water on). One way of wiring a system would be, programmer to room stat to two port valve (myson) to boiler, it maybe the call signal is not getting to the valve or boiler, check the room stat if it's in a warm place it may stop the boiler from firing, lastly it's still possible it's a boiler fault and if you are going to have a warranty call it's best to contact heatline direct to speed up the call out, Gary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement