Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accommodation in oz

Options
  • 30-07-2008 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hi I'm heding to Australia & looking to live around Bondi or Coogee.. any advise on the best website or paper to check out for accommodation. I'm going with my boyfriend, are we best to share accommodation with others or get a one bedroom apartment.. how much should it cost per week.. whats the usually deposit.. anything i need to be careful about.. any help or idea's is greatly appreciated!! :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

The furnnished property group.

Also check free magazines- British Balls and TNT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Larianne wrote: »
    The furnnished property group.

Also check free magazines- British Balls and TNT

You can try the above, but honestly they are overpriced. But they are handy if you want short term accommodation.

Depending on what time of year you head over, if Dec: accommodation can be pretty difficult to find. The futher from Christmas the better.

If you lease a place from an agency it will most likely come with no furniture, there are a lot of short term rentals available but are generally more expensive.

have a try at some websites
    http://www.furnishedproperty.com.au/
    http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 smiles22

thanks a million.. we're going mid Sept, will it be hard to get a place at that time? is it possible to get a furnished place.. we'll b there at least 6 months

has anyone stayed with the letting agency furnished property group. are they reliable? I like a place they are advertising in Bondi, but will only book with them if someone can recommend them & the place will look as it does in the pictures..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I'll be honest and say it is a bad idea to book accommodation for six months over the internet.

What happens if you don't like Bondi, or Coogee, or basically the location you are in. What if you don't like the apartment?

I would recommend booking a the first few nights in a hostel and then looking for accommodation, either through letting agents, meeting other travelers, backpacker magazines, or notice boards in shopping centers/supermarkets.

In sydney it took us about a week to get somewhere we liked location wise, and apartment wise.

Only you can decided wether you want to share with people, or live on your own. Both have plus and minus points the same as making that decision in Sydney.

Again I would never commit myself to a six month lease over the internet without visiting the apartment, and location.

You can get furnished places, just don;t expect it to be beautiful or all matching stuff. We added extra furnishing from stuff of the street, and stuff friends were throwing out.

• Advertisement

^^ agree

you are going mid sept .. that is a good time to get accommodation, I would wait till you actually see the place.

Those agencies are very highly priced you can get a lot cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

agree with the above also, there are usually plenty ads up for spare rooms going in hostels and stuff, might be a little trickier to find a place of your own but they are out there. the gumtree is a good place to look.

its not that difficult to find a furnished apt either, however most agencies will expect a 6mth min lease which can be a bit of a pain in the arse. personally myself and my mates saw an ad and got a place private. for rent in bondi/coogee, your generally looking at anywhere from $140 - $180 (85 - 110 Euro) a week, some including bills some not. any less and you'll prob find yourself sharing a 2 bedroom apartment with something like 4 other people.

like the lads said, September is a pretty good time of year to look so if I were ye I'd styay in a hostel / with friends and have a sconse around.

thanks, not so worried now, will book into hostel for wk, they seem pretty exp. for just a few nights.. Think I like the look of Eve's backpackers.. got a good rating... location seems pretty central..?? any other idea's on good value hostels & good location??

smiles22 wrote: »
    thanks, not so worried now, will book into hostel for wk, they seem pretty exp. for just a few nights.. Think I like the look of Eve's backpackers.. got a good rating... location seems pretty central..?? any other idea's on good value hostels & good location??

It is okay location - about 10/15mins walk from city, but direct in heart of the 24hour party zone.

that is pretty much where all the cheap hostels are

hussey wrote: »
    It is okay location - about 10/15mins walk from city, but direct in heart of the 24hour party zone.

that is pretty much where all the cheap hostels are

sounds good as a starting place? boyfriend has a job organised around Sutherland and from what I'm reading its 26km's from CBD, are we better off looking for accomodation in that area or what is the area like?

• Advertisement

sounds good as a starting place? boyfriend has a job organised around Sutherland and from what I'm reading its 26km's from CBD, are we better off looking for accomodation in that area or what is the area like?

Personally I wouldn't. but I know some people from that area and they reckon it is the best. It has a bad rep, as people from the shire tend to be labelled rednecks etc ... some good beaches down there. Twas also the area of the race riots a few years ago (more cronulla which is near sutherland)

It would take about 45mins from kings cross train -> sutherland station

not so bad if its only 45 mins by train.. want to stay in a fun area meeting tourists and backpackers n stuff...

not so bad if its only 45 mins by train.. want to stay in a fun area meeting tourists and backpackers n stuff...

Sutherland isn't touristy. I'd stay in sydney and let teh boy commute

def wanna stay in a tourist location, loads to do, near beach... everything seems to be round bondi & coogee

Advertisement