Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic News <- Please Post Articles and Links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article4501280.ece
    Mike Etherington-Smith, the Olympic three-day-event course designer, has threatened never to work for the FEI (International Equestrian Federation) again after being told by Princess Haya, the president of the FEI, to make an alteration to his cross-country course on the eve of the Olympic cross-country event.
    Princess Haya, the wife of Sheik Mohammed el Maktoum, was driven round the Olympic course at Beas River by Mr Etherington-Smith on Sunday after his course had been officially passed as safe and fair by the ground jury. She had nothing but praise until she reached Fence 18, The Stone Forest, where Princess Haya asked for the large boulders in front of the fence to be replaced by a softer groundline because the boulders could be dangerous if horses missed their footing.
    Mr Etherington-Smith, one of the most respected course designers in the world, was outraged. "It was totally out of order for Princess Haya to intervene at that point - she was put up to it but it was not for her to make changes at that stage - it's a point of principle because it undermines the authority of the ground jury and the technical delegate," he said. "I'm furious and if the FEI ask me in future to go on any of their advisory committees I shall refuse."
    Princess Haya, who has been very much a "hands on" president since she took over the reins of the FEI three years ago was unrepentant. "It was not easy to make a stand at that point but in my position I must think of the welfare of the horses and the poor image of the sport that would follow if there were photographs of a horse being injured at the fence," she said. "I had been approached by several people, including some of the team managers, about the fence. We are all in this for the good of the sport - the change was purely cosmetic - it was not altering the dimensions or shape of the fence in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

sounds ridiculous, on both sides

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I wouldn't blame Princess Hayia anyway. The course was difficult and we definatley don't want any more tradgedies.
    There were a few fallers but I think every horse and rider were ok afterwards.
    Of course it could be a different story tomorrow at the trot up. I would expect a few not to pass the vet.

Patricia Ryan had 3 down and 1 time penalty in the showjumping.

You can watch the eventing showjumping online here - http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/olympics/
    Click "Live 02"

• Advertisement

12 jumping penalties for Niall :(

A clear for Geoff with 2 time penalties - Well done Geoff!

Clear round for Austin, WOOHOO!

2 down for Louise Lyons and 1 time penalty. Ireland are currently lying in 5th place, better than I thought we'd do initially! :o

Team
    1) Germany

2) Australia

3) UK

Ireland came 8th :(

Individual
    1) ROMEIKE Hinrich (Germany)
    MARIUS

2) KLIMKE Ingrid (Germany)
    ABRAXXAS

3) JONES Megan (Australia)
    IRISH JESTER

Austin O'Connor was best of the Irish in 28th place :(

• Advertisement

Clear for Austin in the individual showjumping - He got 1 time penalty though.

Oooh, they've changed the time allowed from 65 to 67 seconds so Austin no longer has a time penalty.

Individual Eventing Results...

1) ROMEIKE Hinrich
    MARIUS - 54.20

2) MILES Gina
    MCKINLAIGH 56.10

3) COOK Kristina
    MINERS FROLIC 57.40

Austin finishes in 22nd place :)

Brilliant coverage on BBC today. Claire Balding is over there for them.

That McKinlaigh horse who won silver is by the same sire as my youngster who died last year :( (Highland King)

Sorry to hear that Fits :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/olympics/2008/08/dont_be_disappointed_with_brit.html
    American Phillip Dutton, who finished 16th in the individual round on Connaught, was disqualified from the competition when he contravened the FEI horse welfare ruling, introduced in February this year, that horse boots should weigh no more than 500g.

Michael Whitaker is out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/equestrian/7558349.stm
    BBC wrote:
    GB's Michael Whitaker has been forced to withdraw from the team showing jumping event after his horse Portofino 63 was declared unfit to compete.

The mare had been declared sound before travelling to Hong Kong, but developed the problem in the last 48 hours.

The team veterinarian carried out an investigation but was unable to diagnose the cause of the problem.

Reserve horse Russel, ridden by Nick Skelton, has been added to the squad of four for Friday's team jumping event.

Thats hard luck on Michael. A good reserve to have though!

What a performance from GB's Emma Hindle in the dressage!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 *!horseyness!*

If anyone knows the times for anything equestrian being shown on RTÉ/RTÉ 2/TG4 please post it. Thank You.
    P.S. How are Ireland doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Socos

Denis Lynch had one time fault in first round of individual showjumping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

If anyone knows the times for anything equestrian being shown on RTÉ/RTÉ 2/TG4 please post it. Thank You.
    P.S. How are Ireland doing?[/quote]

Times are on www.rte.ie

Ireland came a disappointing 8th in the eventing.

Denis Lynch should be jumping today shortly.

Socos wrote: »
    Denis Lynch had one time fault in first round of individual showjumping

Thats a pity, he can still qualify though can't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

MDFM wrote: »
    P.S. How are Ireland doing?[/quote]

Times are on www.rte.ie

Ireland came a disappointing 8th in the eventing.

Denis Lynch should be jumping today shortly.

saying the times are on www.rte.ie
    is being about as helpful as a bucket with holes in it

skink wrote: »
    MDFM wrote: »

saying the times are on www.rte.ie
    is being about as helpful as a bucket with holes in it

why so?
    what have you got to offer?

take it easy peeps.

In the team dressage, gold went to Germany, silver to The Netherlands and bronze to Denmark.

Imke Schellekens-Bartels and Sunrise of the Netherlands, the reigning European team gold and individual bronze medallists, are out of the individual grand prix special contest at the Olympics.
    The 14-year-old mare, Sunrise, runner-up in the 2007 World Cup final, was found to be lame after the medal ceremony on Thursday night.

"I can't believe it," said an emotional Imke, who was lying in fifth place individually after the team contest and who was considered a medal contender with her 2007 World Cup final runner-up.

"The injury must have developed during the team competition. Before that she was 100% in order. But afterwards we noticed a small problem that could well develop into something bigger and could harm the horse. This is the last thing I would want."

Imke's withdrawal allowed in a second Australian competitor, Hayley Beresford riding the Lusitano Relampago, which is the first time the nation has had two competitors through to the individual competition.
    http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/olympics/7285/265695.html

• Advertisement

Denis had the first clear of the day with 1 time fault!

Advertisement