Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic News <- Please Post Articles and Links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

Is it just bad timing on my part or is the coverage of the equestrian games on rte awful? I can't seem to catch it, I dont have sky sports and so far I've only been able to catch it on bbc :mad: Is there a timetable anywhere? I'm not really interested in running or any of that other stuff:eek:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

I agree, RTÉ's coverage of the equestrian events has been poor. Basically just showing the Irish rounds whenever they have a quiet moment. If you have digital satellite (i.e. Sky) you can watch all equestrian events live and in full on the interactive BBCi channel. Press red button while on BBC 1 or 2 and select Interactive Olympics. Equestrian will be on one of the streams numbered 1-6 when equestrian is on.

If you are on broadband, every single olympic event is live in full & catch up highlights are on

http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/olympics/

Here is the rest of the scheduled equestrian events. (Irish time)

Monday 12:15 Team Jumping Final - Round 02 & Individual Jumping 3rd Qualifier

Team Jumping Victory Ceremony

Tuesday 12:15 Individual Dressage Final Grand Prix Freestyle

Individual Dressage Victory Ceremony

Thursday 12:15 Individual Jumping Final Round A

15:10 Individual Jumping Final Round B

Individual Jumping Victory Ceremony

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I'm in HK now myself. Dennis rode a superb round last night, the horse is a difficult ride but he mastered him well. He is in a good position now but would need another good round tonight.
    It is very humid and we are sweating loads! There wasn't too many Irish there last night and some even missed Dennis's round as he was in early and it took ages to get in the gate with the strict security checks. Big ques at the shuttle bus station and worse at the entry gates.
    Roll on tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Socos

4 jumping and 2 time faults for Denis Lynch in the third round. In the lead at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Socos

Does anyone know how the Jumping plays out. do the riders carry their faults with them to the final or is the final jumped from par?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

I think Denis Lynch's score will go back to zero now with the top 35 jumping in round 1 of the individual final and only the top 20 going to the second round. If there is a tie on faults after round 2 a jump off will decide the individual medals.

He has performed very well to date, there have been very few clears so he must be a real contender, all he needs is a bit of good fortune and maybe avoid those time penalties. Where did Norway come from today in the team event, that must have been a big surprise for them to get bronze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

He has performed very well to date, there have been very few clears so he must be a real contender, all he needs is a bit of good fortune and maybe avoid those time penalties. Where did Norway come from today in the team event, that must have been a big surprise for them to get bronze.

apparently the reasoning for the time penalties was due to not pushing the horse, to save it for the final, apparently there is alot more to see from this horse

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

skink wrote: »
    apparently the reasoning for the time penalties was due to not pushing the horse, to save it for the final, apparently there is alot more to see from this horse

Good news as to have 2 penalties means he was at least 5 seconds off the optimum. The only fault he accrued was at the water jump.

He's definitely in with a shout for a medal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 elaine13

Well done USA! Truly truly deserved! Will didnt realise his horse hit the water was pretty annoyed but wow, what amazing rounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

In the individual dressage Anky won gold, Isabell Werth took silver and Heike Kemmer took bronze :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Well Lantius is going into Thursday without having a pole knocked. A bit of luck is all thats needed as he has proven himself over the big fences.
    Not too many Irish out here, seemingly I got on TV with my tricolour last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

he he, I actually wondered if that was you :D

Has Lantinus failed the inspection? He doesn't seem to be on the Start list

Hopefully its just an error

Denis Lynch has withdrawn from the competition, there will be an annoucement in at 11.00

http://breakingnews.ie/sport/mhqleymhsnmh/

:(

Bugger...

So I was ahead of breaking news. Any reasoning from those with better contacts?

German, Brazillian and Irish times have pulled out.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics2008/2008/0821/lynchd.html

So it looks like a dispute with the organisers then :(

It will be interesting to read the press release on it.

Heard it was those from another source, can't confirm it though.

Will be very interesting to see this announcement later on.

• Advertisement

Indo claims riders from Norway, Brazil and Germany too (Sorry for doubting you zaraba)

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/showjumper-lynch-withdraws-from-olympic-final-1460615.html

Dodge wrote: »
    (Sorry for doubting you zaraba)

Its a months ban next time! ;)

Seriously, what is the story here?

[conjecture] sounds like it was a dispute over the competition proceeding despite a severe weather warning, but Lynch was one of the few to put his money where his mouth is [/conjecture]

fits wrote: »
    [conjecture] sounds like it was a dispute over the competition proceeding despite a severe weather warning, but Lynch was one of the few to put his money where his mouth is [/conjecture]

I could see why he'd row in behind the German team if they pulled out but seems odd he'd be first. Although his horse is extremely valuable and obviously he'd never do anything to harm it. The brazilian team is Rdrigo Pessoa BTW, no one else qualified

Pessoa is one of the best in the world though isnt he? He's been at the top of the game for a long time.

Pessoa is one of the best in the world though isnt he? He's been at the top of the game for a long time.

Yes, he wouldn't pull out for sh*ts and giggles, same for the Germans.

We don't know what the time frame here is though - all three may have pulled out at the same time.

Current Olympic champion

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Such a pity :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Well it will certainly be interesting to hear what's said at 11. It is pretty **** overall though .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Radioheader

From Live Olympics:

1025: Bombshell news from the show jumping... A number of horses have tested positive for banned substances - don't know which ones or what substance. Four have been disqualified from tonight's finale - and they will also be dq'd from the team event a few days ago. GB finished 7th in the team event - so we don't think it would affect them - but we believe it could affect the medals. Think something should develop in next 10 mins with a press conference at 1100 BST.

Advertisement