Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic News <- Please Post Articles and Links

Options

Comments

Not again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Not again :(

My reaction exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Hopefully Lantinus was not one of those that failed the drug test?

I will at this point remind people to reread the charter, esp the section that deals with allegations against named indivduals.

It has been confirmed that four horses - representing Brazil, Germany, Ireland and Norway - have been suspended for testing positive for a prohibited substance.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/live_action/default.stm

• Advertisement

BBC reports Lynch failed dope test.

Can't believe this is happening again. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Just saw that, what a huge disappointment :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Presenter on RTE said that his horse had tested positive for an unmknown but prohibited substance. Does that makes sense?

Seriously harsh. I really hope we don't have the same misguided uninformed fiasco that has happened in the past.

just listening to it on the radio now..its still all a bit vague, but it drugs again alright.

Can some one delete all the posts about the weather now

Embarressing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its amazing that so many have failed together though. Whats up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

Sounds like a stitch up.On the radio the drug was descibed as a cream used for ailments such as arthritus and muscle pain. Doesn'y sound like a drug to enhancen performance. Those damn horses should know better.:mad:

Other riders are Christian Ahlman (germany), Tony Andre Hansen (Norway), Bernardo Alves (Brazil)
    Judging by Results from qualifiers and order to go in final

makes you wonder though, how low are the tolerance levels that they accept? such a shame we back again where we were 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mitsubishi1

According to FEI press release they have been provisionally suspended by the FEI further to doping/medication control tests that indicated the presence of capsaicin in each of the four horses.

http://www.fei.org/Media/News_Centre/News/Pages/summ.aspx?newsName=news-Olympic-doping-21Aug08.aspx

baldbear wrote: »
    Sounds like a stitch up.On the radio the drug was descibed as a cream used for ailments such as arthritus and muscle pain. Doesn'y sound like a drug to enhancen performance. Those damn horses should know better.:mad:

isnt that something similar to what Ludger Beerbaum was done for a few years back? apparently tiny traces of the substance were found in horse which lead to his reprimand.

Does anyone else find it fishy that all four tested positive for the same substance? Or is it a very common substance?

Capsaicin is classified as a« doping » prohibited substance given its hypersensitizing properties, and as a « medication class A » prohibited substance for its pain relieving properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Radioheader

They should not be defended. Whether it's harsh or not, they know the rules. Taking a pain killing substance is silly.

Please don't delete this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

Capsaicin is the active chemical in hot chili peppers. Application to a nerve fiber stimulates the release of substance P, the chemical responsible for transmitting the nervous signal for pain (eg, that burning sensation when you eat a jalepeno pepper). Repeated applications of capsaicin depletes the nerve's stores of substance P, and halts the transmission of the pain signal.

If the capsaicin is absorbed sufficiently to deplete stores of substance P and block the pain sensation, there is still no affect on the original cause of the horse's pain. Therefore, this is very similar to using a local anesthetic block on a lame horse, and could result in severe damage from the horse using an unsound limb because it does not feel pain. In addition, the initial use of capsaicin in people is associated with a painful burning and tingling sensation and can cause serious skin reactions. Care should be taken in applying these products to horses.

fits wrote: »
    Does anyone else find it fishy that all four tested positive for the same substance? Or is it a very common substance?

Must be pretty common.

• Advertisement

I think it's very poor that RTE aren't commenting on the news. It's like - "We've failed a drug test but now on to happier news". Get some liathroidi RTE please. We've criticised BBC in the past for not highlighting their drugs cheats - are we now the same?

We now have had three drug cheats in the Olympics. Not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

They should not be defended. Whether it's harsh or not, they know the rules. Taking a pain killing substance is silly.

Please don't delete this post.

ever hear of innocent until; proven guilty, there have been incidences where something has contained p[rohibited substance without anyones knowledge, e.g when poppy seeds contaminated a load of racehorse feed a few years ago

2, and both in show jumping. You can't comment on people who haven't failed tests in the olympics

Oh and I think Gerry Mullins in Tony Andre hansen's coach

I'm actually going to say, I would wait until the results of the b sample.

I just find it really difficult to believe that four competitors would use the same banned
    substance in an olympics final, where chances of being caught are extremely high. (and I wouldnt be a defender of these guys generally).

We'll see what the b sample says.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

skink wrote: »
    e.g when poppy seeds contaminated a load of racehorse feed a few years ago

Horses on opium!!! :eek:

I wonder if they know to keep away from the magic mushrooms while grazing - or maybe they like them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

Allegedly! I assume you're referring to Michelle Smith De Bruin, Cian O'Connor and now Denis Lynch.

The first was never found guilty of drug taking during the Olympics, and Denis Lynch ( or more accurately, his Horse ) still has to have his B Sample tested and has not been found guilty of anything yet.

J.

skink wrote: »
    ever hear of innocent until; proven guilty, there have been incidences where something has contained p[rohibited substance without anyones knowledge, e.g when poppy seeds contaminated a load of racehorse feed a few years ago

You are right in theory in that there are some competitors that fail tests that are unaware of what they've done. But for me, it is part of your training or preparation to ensure that you don't take prohibited substances, innocently or not.

When it comes to drugs hard lines have to be taken. It has ruined the Olympics and the Tour de France for so many people.

Lets keep this on topic folks. There is a thread already that discusses the complications of drugs on this forum. Radioheader - its not as black and white as you make it out to be, however this is a discussion for another thread.

Fair enough, let's wait for the B sample.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

All we can do is wait for the B Sample and see what happens. It's a real pity though, was hoping we might get our hands on a 4th medal!

J.

Advertisement