Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic News <- Please Post Articles and Links

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭SanNJay

togster wrote: »
    No

why?

Sandra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Because of logistics. You couldn't search every persons luggage. If it were the only way stopping people doping, people would put prohibited substances in bottles marked with brands that are OK.

Also Equi-block isn't a banned product. One of the ingredients is. Also this ingredient isn't prohibited to carry around, it's prohibited to administer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Generally I think the riders are in a bit of hard luck. Fair enough they rubbed on the equiblock, but they are doing that all year and passing every test so they were caught by surprise in HK when the authorities tested specifically for it.
    It would have been a lot better for the whole show if the authorities had given a little warning on arrival regarding its use and concequences for any rider using it.
    It looks like the FEI could have avoided all this if they wanted.

No that's BS. They were not in hard luck. You are attempting to defend the indefendable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

finbarrk wrote: »
    Generally I think the riders are in a bit of hard luck. Fair enough they rubbed on the equiblock, but they are doing that all year and passing every test so they were caught by surprise in HK when the authorities tested specifically for it.
    It would have been a lot better for the whole show if the authorities had given a little warning on arrival regarding its use and concequences for any rider using it.
    It looks like the FEI could have avoided all this if they wanted.

They still should know that at any stage the tiniest smallest particle could prove positive. Rubbing on all year without getting caught isnt a good enough excuse. They can continue to rub it on to their horses now for the next few months as they won't be competing!

• Advertisement

Heard that there was an article in the 'Field today that Passoa's hrse failed a drugs test taken in Beijing.

Anyone see this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

yea saw that on the field but its not confirmed what substance was found in the horse yet.

I saw it in the Field also but there isn't a word about it anywhere else. I wonder is it true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

its true alright, heres the article from horse and hound
    Brazilian rider Roderigo Pessoa's horse Rufus has tested positive for a banned substances at the Olympic Games.

Rodrigo is the 5th show jumper and 6th rider competing at the Games to return a positive test.

The substance is a capsaicinoid, this time nonivamide. Nonivamide is prohibited because of its hypersensitising properties.

The sample was taken after the individual final on 23 August, in which the pairing finished fifth.

A second sample is due to be tested tomorrow (Tuesday, 2 August).

The International Equestrian Federation (FEI) has confirmed that this is the final sample to be tested from the Olympic Games.

Four Olympic show jumpers and one dressage rider are already scheduled to face the FEI disciplinary panel this week after second samples from all five horses proved positive for a prohibited substance.

The second samples of four show jumpers — Bernardo Alves of Brazil and Chupa Chup, German rider Christian Ahlmann and Cöster, Denis Lynch of Ireland and Lantinus and Norway's Tony Andre Hansen and Camiro — all tested positive for the prohibited chilli derivative, capsaicin.

And they are joined by American dressage rider Courtney King whose horse Mythilus tested positive for felbinac, a banned anti-inflamatory drug.

Hearings in the other cases will be held on 5, 6 and 7 September in Lausanne.

If the second test on Rufus' sample is also positive, Mr Pessoa will also be invited to attend a hearing.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/article.php?aid=266697&aff=rss

I am shocked - I was always a big fan of his.

• Advertisement

I bet if they had did the same over severe testing on the eventers that jumped on the third day they would have got equally spectacular results.
    But of course if they did that they would have given their game away.

finbarrk wrote: »
    I bet if they had did the same over severe testing on the eventers that jumped on the third day they would have got equally spectacular results.
    But of course if they did that they would have given their game away.

What game?

You know what I mean togster, they tested specifically for a substance that they hadn't ever tested for before. If they had done the eventers first the showjumpers would have copped it and not used the stuff.

It is widely published that they targetted a banned substance. I see your point but it holds no water. The fact is they were using a banned substance. Whether or not they tested previously or not is irrelevant. Are we sure they didn't test the eventers too?

Well I'm not sure togster but its a fair guess that they didn't. Anyway whats done is done and you are correct, the substance was banned so there isn't much point in talking much more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

unfortunate that this type of thing is making the headlines again...

not good for the equine industry

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

zombie thread.

Please start a new thread if you want to discuss this topic. Thanks.

/Thread closed.

Advertisement