Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Kelly resigns from Irish Institute of Sport

Options
  • 30-07-2008 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

From the Irish Sports Council website:
    Sean Kelly Steps Down from his Post at the Irish Institute of Sport
    July 30, 2008.

Sean Kelly has announced that he is stepping down from his role as Executive Chairman of the Irish Institute of Sport. Kelly, former President of the GAA, took up the post in July 2006 and oversaw the first phase of development of the new agency dedicated to supporting Ireland’s elite athletes. He will continue to work as a consultant with the Irish Sports Council.

For the immediate future the Irish Sports Council will direct the operations of the Institute. Based at the National Sports Campus in Abbotstown the Institute is responsible for providing dedicated elite coaching, lifestyle support, sports science and sports medicine services to Ireland’s top sportsmen and women,

Sean Kelly commented; “It has been a privilege to serve as Executive Chairman of the new Institute of Sport and I am proud of the progress made in the last two years. A number of outstanding individuals have been appointed to work at the Institute and they are putting in place important programmes for Ireland’s elite athletes. However the time is right, with the Beijing Olympic and Paralympic Games imminent, to indicate that I will not be with the Institute for the long term. I have enjoyed working with my colleagues in the Institute and the Sports Council and look forward to working with them on other sports projects”.

Ossie Kilkenny, Chairman of the Irish Sports Council, thanked Sean Kelly for his work with the Institute. “Sean Kelly has made a significant contribution to the development of the Irish Institute of Sport. The Council is committed to the development of the Institute of Sport and is grateful for his work in helping to create this vital pillar of support for our highest performing athletes”

For those who don't know, the IIS was to be a high-performance body overseeing the carding grants and dealing with high performance sport in general; there's been much nattering about whether or not it would be subsumed by the ISC. This would appear to indicate that it will be. Hopefully, it won't matter either way to the shooters on the ground.

Advertisement