Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beaches for kids in sligo???

Options
  • 30-07-2008 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

hello all...

im from dublin.

im bringing my two kids (4 and 7 yrs old) down to beautiful sligo this weekend for the bank holiday...

only one question I have!

They want waves. a beach with waves. but obvioulsy one that is safe and suitable for kids of that age to swim in.

I know strandhill gets beauties, but its too dangerous even for adults to swim in right??

anyone got suggestions?? does rosses point get any? is it safe??

cheers
    Domhnall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

bring them to rosses point - they'll have a good time despite no huge waves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

I'd recommend Stranhill for everything else except the water. Dangerous rip currents and no life guards.. Not recommended for kids swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Definitely keep away from Strandhill with kids who like waves. Rosses Point is lovely, not big waves but enough for them to have a laugh. Also when going to Rosses Point, bring plenty of snacks and drinks etc as there is nothing handy nearby. There are some nice restaurants and bars if you want a meal later in the day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Streedagh (near Grange) has good waves, but u need to make sure there's a lifeguard on.

I didn't really like Rosses Point as a kid cos there was no waves! :pac: And lots of seaweed :mad:

What about Enniscrone? I know its good for surfing but no idea about swimming tbh.

Can also swim in Lisadell but don't think it's got much waves...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Ten-4 regarding Streedagh. It has fantastic waves and is a very clean beach. It is a bit out of the way, but well worth the visit. I would highly recommend it. I am from Dublin originally but am living here now. Rosses Point is great for a day out for the children. There are restaurants nearby.Enjoy your trip OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

+1 for Streedagh, used to live down there and it's a lovely beach. Also recommend Langs in Grange for lunch/tea.

Waves can be a bit variable though, on a calm day, there may not be much wave action.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

i use to go to inniscrone when i was young, great place to holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Safest beach is Culleenamore, especially when the tide is in. There's a deep channel, but when the tide's in it's a couple of hundred meters out. Water is only 2-3 foot deep for the first hundred meters. And on a good day, as the water comes in over hot sand, it's lovely and warm. Scenary is lovely too. No life guards, but they're not needed there really. Take the R282 from Strandhill towards Ransboro/Ballysadare and about a mile from the village turn right. There's a concrete fence on the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

i am in the streedagh camp. very safe and plenty of room. turn left just before grange , down 1 mile , turn right and follow the road round. potential fishing off the rocks around to the left of the beach also. i caught 9 mackerel one night there and i am a very amateur fisherman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Dunmoran is a lovely beach, its just out the Ballina Road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

ems_12 wrote: »

What about Enniscrone? I know its good for surfing but no idea about swimming tbh.

Can also swim in Lisadell but don't think it's got much waves...

Stay away from strandhill water with kids!
    Cant fully remember but is Enniscrone not a bit of an ankle puller as well?

General rule, if good for surfing, bad for swiming(esp kids)!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 DOeZer

thanks everyone...
    isnt the net great! ;)

understood about strandhill and others - ill just avoid them...

cheers
    d

Advertisement