Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque referred to drawer

Options
  • 30-07-2008 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Got paid by cheque and after 3 weeks it was returned to me saying referred to drawer. Rang boss he said just to go ahead and lodge it again with apologies. will this be okay to do, the cheque has stamps and writong all over it, does he not have to re write a new cheque or can i just go ahead and lodge the same cheque???? many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aoraki

3 Weeks is a tad long to be notifying you of a bounced cheque!! :eek: Is the post slow in your area?

To answer your question, yes you can relodge the cheque that was returned to you - it is not invalidated because it has been returned to you unpaid. That's assuming the cheque is still in date when you relodge it.

However, it is likely that your bank have charged you a fee for returning the unpaid cheque to you. If they have, maybe you should tell your boss that you have incurred a fee on your bank account because the cheque he gave you bounced.

If you don't trust your boss, you can also ask your bank to get clearance on the cheque. What happens in this case is that your bank will ring up the bank that the cheque is drawn on (your bosses bank) and ask them will they pay this cheque for this amount if they present it. However, your bank is likely to charge you for this as well (if you so much as look at a bank you're charged for it!), so maybe you're better off just lodging it again and crossing your fingers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

My job is to decide on whether or not to pay/bounce cheques for small/medium companies who have insufficient funds to pay their cheques. If it bounces again demand a draft from the boss. But yes you can relodge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Just to correct a comment. Banks can not call each other to clear chq's, data protection and all that. They can send it on collection if you do not wish to lodge it again. If there has been no fees charged by your bank i'd simple to this again.

As for asking your boss for a draft... I am sure he'd tell you where to go :D But if it bounces again I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

My job is to decide on whether or not to pay/bounce cheques for small/medium companies who have insufficient funds to pay their cheques. If it bounces again demand a draft from the boss. But yes you can relodge it.

A most lovely job :D

Back in the day banks used to ring each other up and ask if such and such was good for a chq. Doesn't happen nowadays as Unclebill has mentioned. Banking was a lot simpler back in the day... if we could only combine the technology of today and the practices of yesteryear we'd be laughing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aoraki

uncleBill98 - thanks for the heads-up on that. My knowledge of banking procedures is 10 years old, that was the last time I worked in a bank! As stepbar says, that was how things were done back in the day.

Jeez, I feel old now... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

aoraki wrote: »
    uncleBill98 - thanks for the heads-up on that. My knowledge of banking procedures is 10 years old, that was the last time I worked in a bank! As stepbar says, that was how things were done back in the day.

Jeez, I feel old now... :(

:D I wish they went back to the old ways of doing things!!!

Advertisement