Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Enameling A Bath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 chuckin007

Im going to give this a go in about 2 weeks time. Getting tiling done next week will get stuck in after that. I bought stuff called "tough as tile" - cant remenber the shop I got it in but its in dublin.
    I'll let you know how I get on if you havent already done it yourself at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 c class 226

I was quoted €950 + €150 collection/delivery to get a bath re enamelled. Bath to be taken away. This was for the full monty - bath sand blasted and then enamell baked on. Was also quoted €300 for bath and wash basin to be done in situ. This was some kind of coating that is sprayed or brushed on.
    Any one else any comment on quality of work getting it done in situ?
    Cheers
    C class 226

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

BuilderBob wrote: »
    Hi there.
    Has anyone re-enameled a bath themselves?
    Someone I know in the UK has been quoted the guts of £500Sterling to have a bath and sink professionally done and was thinking of doing it themselves.
    I think it's something they would be able to do but unsure of the possible results.
    Here are two of the products I found and any feedback on these or others would be great.
    Thank you
    http://www.tubbyuk.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=180:1697345c3c0d35e7fd0aa5643b80e02c
    http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/jaeger-ii-white-professional-1852-17160

Does anyone know where we can source these products in Dublin as the websites do not deliver to ROI. Also, I wonder how lasting the job will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 chuckin007

I finished reglasing my bath with Homax hard as tile bath resurfacer.
    It turned out pretty good. Took a lot of elbow grease to get old paint off the bath (as previous home owner painted it) but turned out well.
    I purchased it from the company below:

Igeo International
    Glasnevin Dublin
    01-8302599

Things you need to look out for are 1) Make sure bath is totally clean and clean 3 times with sugar soap.
    2) Stir the tin like you never stirred a tin of paint before. When I put on the first coat I was ripping because the White paint was an off white colour. I did stir the tin but obviously not enough. On the second coat I stirred for about 3 mins and came out a much brighter white than the first.

While putting it on it will look like your wasting your time with the brush marks and pitting but this will level itself out. Just keep the two coats pretty thin to avoid paint runs.

Overall its not that difficult to do. How long this is going to look as good as it does now is another question...

Good luck..

Advertisement