Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What are Peugeot 206's like?

Options
  • 30-07-2008 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

My Mam wants to buy a new car, and we were thinking of a Peugeot 206. It's 01/02/03 kinda year. [Haven't chosen one particular one yet!] My Dad is adament that they're "heaps of sh!te" [to use his words] but am just wondering do they give much trouble really? I'd hate for her to buy it and for him to say "I told ya so!"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 colmkirk

Good car, I own a 04 1.4hdi, it's basically a 1.4 diesel engine, really good on fuel in this day and age it's a god send, very reliable as well, I have mine now 3 years, no trouble at all, I bought mine 2nd hand and like yourself was wary buying it, hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I would say you'll certainly find trouble with one 7/8years old. My sister has had 2 00 3door LX version gave her little trouble, the engine light kept coming on, never broke down on her.
    She got another a few years after, (sold no1 to buy a house) once again 00 GLX, this one gave alot of trouble, was in and out of the garage, overheating, chugging engine, then wouldn't go over 50MPH. Aircon wouldn't work.

I didn't like the way it drove, felt very front heavy i thought, plus ive biggish feet, peddles are very close together, so i found it annoying.
    Its a stinking french thing. I felt the same when i drove the 306 very annoying!

However a well really well maintained one will have little wrong id say.
    But your dad is going to find fault with one if you buy it, and the hassle will be unberable!
    Toyota yaris would probably suit him better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

Thanks, I quite liked them but he put me off when I was buying my first car. Said they were junk [his friend from the garage told him so!] When we were showing him some on the net today he was like "Why don't ye listen?!" Argh. So they're alright then? I mean every car gives trouble now and again, and each company has their faults.

He thinks Seat Ibiza, but at 6000 and such my Mam realistically can't afford one. She's looking for something around 5 grand, less than a 1.4, so we figured a 02/03 Peugeot 206 would be a good choice :) She'd like a Focus but they're more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I mean every car gives trouble now and again, and each company has their faults.

Very true. I have heard bad things about them though, mostly electrical issues, it wouldn't be my first choice as a motor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Couple of reviews here

Honest John

Parkers

Thanks for that, although the first one was a little bit too technical for a lady :P Any opinions on the Honda Jazz? I'd never heard of it but came across it on carzone. Doesn't look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thanks, I quite liked them but he put me off when I was buying my first car. Said they were junk [his friend from the garage told him so!] When we were showing him some on the net today he was like "Why don't ye listen?!" Argh. So they're alright then? I mean every car gives trouble now and again, and each company has their faults.

I had one from new for two years, and my wife has her one for just over a year and half, with very few problems between us. They seem quite well equipped and they are comfy.

However, it sounds like your dad will delight in a little "Schadenfreude" if anything does go wrong, so it may not be worth the hassle.

If you find the pedals close in the 206 or 306, do NOT try the 106.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Every car gives trouble, ibiza are alright, id get one over a polo.
    But you'll get people on here telling horror stories about everycar you bring up!

By the way the 2nd 206 from my post above was owned by, im convinced a girl racer, soooo..... important info i left out whoops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

To my knowledge the only real problems they pose are the back axles wearing our at around 140,000 miles. I bought one in the north last week for my missus, 1999 1.1 with 56k and full service history. I paid €1150 for it and €610 to register it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Your father is an astute and well-informed man;)

I drove in one a couple of years ago which was fairly new at the time and was horrified how tinny, rattley and noisy it was. They don't have a great reputation. Peugeot have good diesel engines though and the 206 is a relatively simple car (few electronics to go wrong) if you're REALLY suck on a 206.

Something like this would be a much better bet though IMO. More modern design as well:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Nissan/Micra/1.0-VISIA/1136000/

Or a Skoda Fabia:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Skoda/Fabia/car/1137631/

Or maybe the best of the lot (1.25 engine is a corker):
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Fiesta/1.25i-Finesse/866328/

The more I thnk about it the more I realise there are MUCH, MUCH better options available:)...

First 2 cars are fair ugly, and she doesn't want a Micra! She'd like a new Fiesta but we're in Connaught and haven't found any reasonably priced! But thanks! You could be right. Her tax is out tomorrow though so she wants one ASAP :)

Wow, i can't believe a 2003 fiesta still has a tape deck!

pburns wrote: »
    Your father is an astute and well-informed man;)

Sounds more like someone who just repeats the tired and somewhat xenophobic rants from Top Gear.

By the by, "astute" and "well-informed" are most definitely words that I would avoid using in reference to my father. More like "pig - headed" and "stubborn" :D

Okay so 206's are alright yes? Something along the lines of http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Peugeot/206/1.1-LX/857335/ OR http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Peugeot/206/1.1-Look/1092430/ Thinking of the latter

Both way over priced.

Really? AHHH am I back to square one? This sucks! :(

Oh, and here's an option you may or may not be wild about, but they're great cars, reliable and practical. Fiat panda, 5000 will buy you a 2006/7 1.2 petrol model, far far better value than the pug

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Fiat/Panda/Dynamic-BEST/1051920/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I've a '01 206. Changing it shortly. No problems with reliability - so no real excuse to change it sooner :rolleyes:

Problems: Rear view mirror is positioned wrong, so you can't see much of the road/traffic behind - just about 2 car lengths. Radio likes to turn itself off occassionally - or even self-raises the volume at unexpected moments (dealer assures me it's not an electrical problem:confused:)

Nothing else - but it has very low mileage, so other problems that may occur with older cars may just not have manifested themselves yet.

Great thanks. Well we'll look at the Focus & if not, resort back to the 206. From a few reviews it seems to be the radio alright that gives trouble, but 1 said its fixed if you restart? The 2 I posted up here, yer man thinks they're fair expensive so I dunno now. That seems to be the general pricing though. 5 grand or so for a 02?

5000 is crazy money for a basic spec 206. The panda is 4 years younger and has gotten great reviews, especially for reliability and practicality. Wouldn't discard that option. Fiats reputation has much improved since the early 00's.

Yeah but it's not a very nice looking car. She wouldn't drive that. She's in her early 40's. She doesn't want a granny of a car! But thanks for your help.

5000 is crazy money for a basic spec 206. The panda is 4 years younger and has gotten great reviews, especially for reliability and practicality. Wouldn't discard that option. Fiats reputation has much improved since the early 00's.
    Neither of those appear to be the base spec 206. They both have elec windows and one has aircon. They should also have stereo controls on the steering wheel, rain sensitive wipers and some other bits and pieces.

Yeah but it's not a very nice looking car. She wouldn't drive that. She's in her early 40's. She doesn't want a granny of a car! But thanks for your help.

hehe,
    eoin_s wrote: »
    Neither of those appear to be the base spec 206. They both have elec windows and one has aircon. They should also have stereo controls on the steering wheel, rain sensitive wipers and some other bits and pieces.

Sorry, had a few carzone windows open and got myself confused about which ones the OP posted...:o

So we're okay yeah? Good to go with a 206? My Dad "kindly" located a Seat Ibiza. I'm against them for some reason!

So we're okay yeah? Good to go with a 206? My Dad "kindly" located a Seat Ibiza. I'm against them for some reason!

Honestly, it sounds like your dad will jump at the first chance to say "I told you so". Some people are like that with French and Italian cars.

The Ibiza is OK - I don't know how well equipped it will be though, it could be a pretty basic spec. I think they're quite bland. The Fabia is another option as was mentioned, but I find them a very dull looking car.

I don't know if this will be a popular choice, but have you looked at a Mitsubishi Colt? My friend had one of these and treated it like crap. It was stolen twice for joy riding in, and the engine just wouldn't quit! That model never came in a 5 door version as far as I know, which could be a consideration.

Thanks for all the help. She doesn't want a Colt either [Quite picky lol] so we're gonna chance the 206 if possible. He'd only find something else to complain about anyway:P I quite like the focus I posted earlier, & not a bad price, so may trek to Portlaoise. Thanks anyway :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement