Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just started worrying...

Options
  • 30-07-2008 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

When i was doing my music practical (4 piano 4 singing) whenever i got a look of her during singing she was always looking away. Should i be worried?:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Pete29 wrote: »
    When i was doing my music practical (4 piano 4 singing) whenever i got a look of her during singing she was always looking away. Should i be worried?:o

I don't see how that would make you any worse than you thought you were. If you keep thinking about minor things like this you will drive yourself mad before you get your results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Seriously, what is the point in worrying? Do you think if you worry enough it'll make your results better? Forget about the LC until your results are in your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Perhaps, the examiner was pointing their ear towards you to hear your great singing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Seriously, DO NOT start worrying about little things like this. You'll drive yourself mad if you focus on these things.

She was only looking away when you saw her. For all you know, she could have been staring intently at you when you weren't looking at her! :)

Also, perhaps she looked away intentionally, as sometimes it's better to listen to music when you're not focusing on anything. It might have been a good sign: she wanted to listen better and so looked away.

There's nothing you can do about this now: don't be worried, just try and put it out of your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Id say they were just listening carefully, also it can be make a person more nervous to watch them intently while singing- generally not the case when playing an instrument?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Seriously, what is the point in worrying? Do you think if you worry enough it'll make your results better? Forget about the LC until your results are in your hand.

You seem to find this very easy, which is great for you, but it's not so simple for others. Most people don't have a choice in whether or not they worry. Just because there's no point in doing something doesn't mean it can be avoided. If you were upset over a relationship or family illness or something, would you be able to think "Oh well, no point being upset, I'll just go off to the funfair now"?

Does worrying about anything really make it better or improve the situation? In general, no, so by that logic you have never and will never worry about anything in your life.

While you're right that it'd be best to forget about the results, that's easier said than done for some people, so bear that in mind.

I still love you PFM <3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I agree with PFM.
    There is genuinely no point worrying about the Leaving Cert, you can't physically do ANYTHING about it. Yes, think about the results if it means a lot to you. Perhaps even begin to feel a little anxious about the worst case scenario, but as for replaying your actual exams - useless.

OP, perhaps you had very bad breath?

The Walsho wrote: »
    You seem to find this very easy, which is great for you, but it's not so simple for others. Most people don't have a choice in whether or not they worry. Just because there's no point in doing something doesn't mean it can be avoided. If you were upset over a relationship or family illness or something, would you be able to think "Oh well, no point being upset, I'll just go off to the funfair now"?

Does worrying about anything really make it better or improve the situation? In general, no, so by that logic you have never and will never worry about anything in your life.

While you're right that it'd be best to forget about the results, that's easier said than done for some people, so bear that in mind.

I still love you PFM <3
    I'm not some superwoman who has the power to not worry. I assure you, like all people, I worry about things. But then I try move on from this, and the way I do that is by realising, as is frequently the case, that I can't do anything about it. For example, I just got home from abroad today, which involved 3 flights. Every time the plane is taking off or landing, I start freaking out with worry. You know, what'll happen if we crash, oh god, we're all going to die, etc. But then I take a deep breath and say, alright, I'll close my eyes, and realise that this is out of my control. If we crash, we crash, that's pretty crap, but stressing won't make a difference. Same with exams. Maybe I'm lucky in that I'm fairly sure I've gotten my first choice, but still, at this point, it's best to just move on, and focus on other things, try and not dwell on the exams, or the results, because it's in someone else's hands. Everything's been said and done, the ball is in their court, and we, as students, should be taking a hard-earned break from stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Maybe I'm lucky in that I'm fairly sure I've gotten my first choice, but still, at this point, it's best to just move on, and focus on other things, try and not dwell on the exams, or the results, because it's in someone else's hands. Everything's been said and done, the ball is in their court, and we, as students, should be taking a hard-earned break from stress.

Pete, read what PFM has written here because she's totally right.

Worrying is a natural thing, and cannot be helped. But it is fruitless and will not affect anything other than your own sanity.
    Nothing can change how your practical went - put it out of your mind and focus your attention on something positive.

I know this is all easier said than done, but you'll thank yourself for not getting worked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Do you see the difference between this post :
    I'm not some superwoman who has the power to not worry. I assure you, like all people, I worry about things. But then I try move on from this, and the way I do that is by realising, as is frequently the case, that I can't do anything about it. For example, I just got home from abroad today, which involved 3 flights. Every time the plane is taking off or landing, I start freaking out with worry. You know, what'll happen if we crash, oh god, we're all going to die, etc. But then I take a deep breath and say, alright, I'll close my eyes, and realise that this is out of my control. If we crash, we crash, that's pretty crap, but stressing won't make a difference. Same with exams. Maybe I'm lucky in that I'm fairly sure I've gotten my first choice, but still, at this point, it's best to just move on, and focus on other things, try and not dwell on the exams, or the results, because it's in someone else's hands. Everything's been said and done, the ball is in their court, and we, as students, should be taking a hard-earned break from stress.

and this one :
    ?

Your first one (ie. the second quote here) was almost a little harsh, sort of belittling the OP for worrying, and making out that it's an easy choice, to worry or not to worry, which is just isn't. Of course if you're feeling confident it's going to be easier for you, but think of the people out there who are worried about failing a subject they need for matriculation, and might have to repeat. Would it be so easy to take your mind off this, when the next year of your life could be a lot different than you, and everyone else has planned? Thankfully I'm not in this situation, but I wouldn't be so dismissive of someone if they're worried.

Your second post was a lot better put that the first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Pete29

Thanks eveyone, I know worrying doesn't change anything and i was probably just being paraniod.

Walsho, in my first post I went for "quick and to the point", which is probably why it came across as harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 me!

don't worry about it!!! firstly there is absolutely nothing you can do about it now so you're just going to drive yourself crazy thinking about it! secondly examiners are not allowed to show what they think of your performance, it's a crazy rule but it's the way it is! her actions are more than likely no reflection on your performance. also remember that she is sitting in a room listening to students singing and playing all day long. not the most exciting of days!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

eh... results are out... i'm pretty sure the OP has stopped worrying about this

Advertisement