Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architectural Technology Part-Time Hons

• 30-07-2008 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

Im a recent (May) graduate of Carlow It Architectural Technology Degree, Looking to find a full-time job (but it is tough). I was wondering could anyone help me with 2 questions:

1) I was wondering If anyone knows of a course/college which someone
    with an ordinary degree in Architectural Technology could apply to and do the 4th Year part-time or in the evenings ? How many years would It take?

2) Does anyone know for sure the accreditations (RIAI, CIAT recognition) to the 4th year Hons Degree courses in WIT and Carlow It- wexford campus.

Any help appreciated.
    A Murphy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

No part time honours degree add on exists as yet A Murphy.
    DIT are working on a new programme at present which includes this facility, but no official start date for the part time add on has been given.

At the moment, you can apply to WIT to do the 1 year add on BSc Hons full time.
    The course is modularised and semesterised, so it is possible (I'm reliably informed) to do it over a number of years which would equate to part time I suppose.
    You would need to contact WIT directly to establish if this is feasible.

Neither WIT (BSc.Hons) or Carlow IT Wexford Campus are accredited by RIAI or CIAT at present AFAIK.

Just to clarify, the Ordinary Degree IS RIAI accredited in WIT, but the 1 year Hons add on is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

Hi A Murphy,

Don't hold your breath. The wheels in academia move very slowly. If they suggest this year that there is a possibility, it will take years to happen. The 4th year add on in WIT is very good and would be a good move. I appreciate what supertech is saying that it currently is not recognised by the RIAI, but WIT is recognised for the quality of graduates it churns out.

By doing the Hons Degree, you will have options for quality post-grads that will give you an element of flexibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Correct on all fronts pseudo-tech. There's a golden opportunity there for the educational institutes to step and provide the flexibility of part time courses for those who are interested.

Spot on about the Hons degree giving options for post grads aswell.

The Institutes continue to make promises. The IATGN whom have a number of course leaders on there committee were asked to push this forward. Not interested. I hope that the CIAT will take up the batten and encourage our laize faire academics to wake up and smell the roses.

They promote the courses to further their careers and forget about you once they have you. No recognition for degree by RIAI. No recognition of any of the courses by the CIAT. Top quality people in industry- no recognition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

see below for news on this

June 2009
    The Department of Architectural Technology is pleased to announce the validation of four new programmes as follows:

BSc (Hons) Architectural Technology: 1 year full time
    1 year full time Level 8 honours degree progression programme
    Commencement September 2009 (20 places available, limited to DIT Level 7 BSc (Ord) Architectural Technology graduates of the academic years 2006-2007, 2007-2008 and 2008-2009)

BSc (Hons) Architectural Technology: 1 year part time
    1 year part time Level 8 honours degree progression programme, with recognition of prior learning
    Proposed commencement January 2010 (Operation of programme dependant on availability of necessary lecturing staff)

BSc (Hons) Architectural Technology: 4 year full time
    4 year full time Level 8 honours degree programme
    Commencement September 2010 (Will replace DT105 Level 7 ordinary degree)

PG Cert Applied Architectural Technology: 1 year part time
    1 year part time work based Level 9 programme
    Proposed commencement January 2011 (Operation of programme dependant on availability of lecturing staff)

However, arising from the ongoing national economic crisis, the government has placed restrictions on the third level education sector with the aim of employing no new staff and reducing the number of part time staff. While the Department of Architectural Technology had hoped to run the new one-year full-time programme with a cohort of 35-40 students, the above staffing constraints will limit us to admitting only 20 students to the 1 year full time Level 8 progression programme commencing in September 2009.

Owing to staff and space limitations, admission to the new programme will be limited to graduates of the DIT modular Level 7 BSc Architectural Technology programme in the first instance, ie graduates of the academic years 2006-2007, 2007-2008 and 2008-2009.

Eligibility for admission to the new programme is limited to graduates with distinction (70-100), upper merit (60-69) and lower merit (50-59), with selection based on performance in the Level 7 BSc Architectural Technology programme. Letters inviting applications have already been issued to all eligible candidates.

Applications should be made to the DIT Admissions Office by 12.00 midday on Friday 24 July.

Candidates will be informed on whether their application has been successful by Friday 7 August.
    Further details on the various programmes, modules and entry criteria are available on the Programmes section of the Department of Architectural Technology website.

The attached Progression Diagram illustrates the relationship of the various programmes and how progression to Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma and Masters Degree is proposed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

It would be a bit dissapointing if you were thinking of applying for the full time option that it has been restricted. It the current climate I wonder how many of us would even apply if it was unrestricted. I wonder how many of the other courses are goin to survive this recession. I can't see to many applications in the CAO for Architectural Technology or even Architecture

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭r-i-tect

No6 wrote: »
    I can't see to many applications in the CAO for Architectural Technology or even Architecture

This is most probably the best time to study both, especially if you have experience and want to upskill.

r-i-tect wrote: »
    This is most probably the best time to study both, especially if you have experience and want to upskill.

Possibly but the course that is modularised, allows part time and distance learning and recognises prior experience will be the one for those of us who still have some semblance of a job. If you have no job then some course that takes about 10 years would be ideal assuming you have no comittments and don't intend to get any in the next 10 years!!!:D

topcatcbr wrote: »
    see below for news on this

June 2009
    The Department of Architectural Technology is pleased to announce the validation of four new programmes as follows:

BSc (Hons) Architectural Technology: 1 year full time
    1 year full time Level 8 honours degree progression programme
    Commencement September 2009 (20 places available, limited to DIT Level 7 BSc (Ord) Architectural Technology graduates of the academic years 2006-2007, 2007-2008 and 2008-2009)

BSc (Hons) Architectural Technology: 1 year part time
    1 year part time Level 8 honours degree progression programme, with recognition of prior learning
    Proposed commencement January 2010 (Operation of programme dependant on availability of necessary lecturing staff)

BSc (Hons) Architectural Technology: 4 year full time
    4 year full time Level 8 honours degree programme
    Commencement September 2010 (Will replace DT105 Level 7 ordinary degree)

PG Cert Applied Architectural Technology: 1 year part time
    1 year part time work based Level 9 programme
    Proposed commencement January 2011 (Operation of programme dependant on availability of lecturing staff)

However, arising from the ongoing national economic crisis, the government has placed restrictions on the third level education sector with the aim of employing no new staff and reducing the number of part time staff. While the Department of Architectural Technology had hoped to run the new one-year full-time programme with a cohort of 35-40 students, the above staffing constraints will limit us to admitting only 20 students to the 1 year full time Level 8 progression programme commencing in September 2009.

Owing to staff and space limitations, admission to the new programme will be limited to graduates of the DIT modular Level 7 BSc Architectural Technology programme in the first instance, ie graduates of the academic years 2006-2007, 2007-2008 and 2008-2009.

Eligibility for admission to the new programme is limited to graduates with distinction (70-100), upper merit (60-69) and lower merit (50-59), with selection based on performance in the Level 7 BSc Architectural Technology programme. Letters inviting applications have already been issued to all eligible candidates.

Applications should be made to the DIT Admissions Office by 12.00 midday on Friday 24 July.

Candidates will be informed on whether their application has been successful by Friday 7 August.
    Further details on the various programmes, modules and entry criteria are available on the Programmes section of the Department of Architectural Technology website.

The attached Progression Diagram illustrates the relationship of the various programmes and how progression to Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma and Masters Degree is proposed.

Is that not a little bit parochial? Should the entry requirement not be based on academic achievement and ability? It would be better to see a much fairer system!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is that not a little bit parochial? Should the entry requirement not be based on academic achievement and ability? It would be better to see a much fairer system!
    The reason for that should be quite obvious?
    And it will also be based on academic achievement and ability

• Advertisement

I think they have to give preference to the graduates from these years they were promised it for long enough, I wonder what the uptake will be given the current climate, I know from a number of posts here from some recent graduates they havn't been able to find any work.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Mellor wrote: »
    The reason for that should be quite obvious?
    And it will also be based on academic achievement and ability

i agree, the reason for this is glaringly obvious....

graduates of the last 2-3 years have found it a hell of a lot tougher to find work than previous years graduates..... but hey, if theres not enough uptake by this particular group then its fair game...

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i agree, the reason for this is glaringly obvious....

graduates of the last 2-3 years have found it a hell of a lot tougher to find work than previous years graduates..... but hey, if theres not enough uptake by this particular group then its fair game...

I understand the difficulty that recent graduates are having however, giving one group priority because they graduated in a certain year in a certain institute is not equitable to me.

I have no interest in returning to do a Degree in Architectural Technology myself but there may be others who wish to do so. If there are barriers placed in front of these people it is simply unfair!!

But to be honest does a one year full time add on year suit many people other than those very recently graduated. I certainly could't even remotely consider it.

No not really. Also it would be difficult for some of the lecturers to lecture students who may have more experience and ability then themselves.

It's still unfair not matter which Institute it is (DIT, WIT, LIT CIT etc etc).

No not really. Also it would be difficult for some of the lecturers to lecture students who may have more experience and ability then themselves.

It's still unfair not matter which Institute it is (DIT, WIT, LIT CIT etc etc).

It might be hard on the students too, if you have more experience than your lecturer and they are trying to impart something you believe is incorrect or innaccurate (or something similar)it will drive you and them and the whole class nuts and you could just be an opinionated senior tech (aren't we all!!!):D

God its a recipe for chaos don't let the old guys in!!!:D

It might be hard on the students too, if you have more experience than your lecturer and they are trying to impart something you believe is incorrect or innaccurate (or something similar)it will drive you and them and the whole class nuts and you could just be an opinionated senior tech (aren't we all!!!):D

God its a recipe for chaos don't let the old guys in!!!:D

So, that's the reason for the restrictions!!!:D:D

I think they have to give preference to the graduates from these years they were promised it for long enough, I wonder what the uptake will be given the current climate, I know from a number of posts here from some recent graduates they havn't been able to find any work.
    I understand the difficulty that recent graduates are having however, giving one group priority because they graduated in a certain year in a certain institute is not equitable to me.

I have no interest in returning to do a Degree in Architectural Technology myself but there may be others who wish to do so. If there are barriers placed in front of these people it is simply unfair!!

Well, the fact that recent years have had it tougher, and also the fact that they were promised it for a number of years now may be some of the reason. But the reason I referred to as being obvious was the fact that the three years in question are the only DIT years to have completed a full ordinary degree program. The current course is designed as a add-on from ordinary to honours degree. And while obviously there is no substitute for experience come concession has to be given to those who spend three years doing considerable extra work and subjects for little gain or recognition. The original plan was to have the add on ready in time for the first full degree graduation.

Well, the fact that recent years have had it tougher, and also the fact that they were promised it for a number of years now may be some of the reason. But the reason I referred to as being obvious was the fact that the three years in question are the only DIT years to have completed a full ordinary degree program. The current course is designed as a add-on from ordinary to honours degree. And while obviously there is no substitute for experience come concession has to be given to those who spend three years doing considerable extra work and subjects for little gain or recognition. The original plan was to have the add on ready in time for the first full degree graduation.

I understand and agree with what you are saying. I just feel it is an Irish solution to an Irish problem. No recognition of supply and demand. The inefficiencies of the Institute's are evident here. Why could they not have the part-time option up and running at the same time? Why do we have to have academic options drip fed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I was in college today and asked Aileen (secretary) about the part-time course and she didnt know when it was starting.

• Advertisement

I understand and agree with what you are saying. I just feel it is an Irish solution to an Irish problem. No recognition of supply and demand. The inefficiencies of the Institute's are evident here. Why could they not have the part-time option up and running at the same time? Why do we have to have academic options drip fed?
    I imagine its purely a case of funding.
    Extra courses cost the government money, we were lucky to even get the full time course. Let alone an additional PT course.

Jozi, I believe its starting at the end of september. I'd say ring around a few of the lads who got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Jozi, I believe its starting at the end of september. I'd say ring around a few of the lads who got it.

Part-time is starting the end of sept? In DIT? Aileen knew nothing about it when I asked her yesterday.

jozi wrote: »
    Part-time is starting the end of sept? In DIT? Aileen knew nothing about it when I asked her yesterday.
    Sorry Jozi, i mis-read part-time as the add on course.

As far as I know, part time has no date set. All I know is
    Sept 09 - 1 year add on
    Sept 10 - 4 year level 8 program starts

Advertisement