Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I'm worried my car was crashed

Options
  • 30-07-2008 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

I have a Nissan Terrano that I bought from a garage in Galway (really big one thats SIMI regd) I was desperate to buy at the time as my DOE on previous jeep was up 2 months previous and had a long shopping list of stuff needed. After looking all over the country the one I found was the best available, clean, drove well, v-low milage and no visable damage or rust on chassis. only mark was on front bumper and salesman told me the previous owner had hit a dog. We agreed all the work to be done, damage fixed etc.
    When I got the jeep home I noticed that both front and back bumpers were hanging low, but they were the same on all other terranos I'd seen.
    Next somebody brought it to my attention that there was no sound insulation on the underside of the bonnet which was also a different colour to the rest of jeep. Then I noticed a loud bang if I drove over a bump with the steering hard left or right. its now getten worse and bangs everytime I hit a bump but the machine is off the road as of last week. I also noticed that the plastic cover over the passanger airbag is just a piece of rubber and easily moves in and out (air bag cover on any other car I had had a steel plate behind the rubber) Last night I changed the speakers in the front doors which meant I had to take off the door cards and I noticed that
    a) there is a lot of water in the drivers door
    b) drivers door is not fully painted behind the card, only really around the edges and the plastic is damaged while the passanger door is nearly completely painted behind the card and the plastic stuck the whole way around.
    I also noticed what looked like the white markings of a part number on the front diff cover which seems excessive for a machine with only 40K miles on the clock.

What I'm wondering is,
    1) are all these things seperate coincidences and I'm just paranoid or
    2) was the dog the previous owner hit maybe standing on top of a wall or driving another car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

motorcheck.ie / cartell.ie it - if there was insurance involved it'll be on that report

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭garp

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You could get a detailed engineer's assesment done of the vehicle but it will be expensive I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

cartell. Ya pay like 30 quid or so and it brings up all previous details of whether the car was in an accident or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

cartell. Ya pay like 30 quid or so and it brings up all previous details of whether the car was in an accident or not.

I believe cartell will only tell you if it was an insurance write off. I don't think it will tell you if there was any damage repairs carried out, even if the cost was claimed through insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

Really? Kinda defeats the purpose of paying to check otherwise!

You can use a Cartell car history report to check

Cloned
    Imported
    Used as a Taxi / Hackney
    Previously used as a Taxi / Hackney
    Written off*
    Scrapped*
    Forged NCT
    Forged Registration Certificate
    Replaced Engine
    Colour Changed
    Numerous Owners
    Finance Outstanding
    UK Car History
    Vehicle Identification
    Mileage Discrepancy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Really? Kinda defeats the purpose of paying to check otherwise!

Yeah, it's not the complete check people think it is. When you think about it though, if you crash your car and get some bodyshop to repair it, how could cartell know about it?

If there was a law where all body shops had to register all repairs, then you could find people going to dodgy bodyshops so nobody could find out that it had been crashed. That could be a much worse situation.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why not bring your concerns to the attention of the dealer who sold you the jeep?

Advertisement