Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RADIO 1 SALAD DAYS?

• 30-07-2008 4:26pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's a matter of opinion of course but is ARR.T.E one just about right at the moment?
    Ever excellent Aine Lawlor.
    Fanning finally making sense in a sensable slot.
    Myles could scissor kenny's timbers on his return.
    Ronan doing the Ronan. "Pull my finger Big TOM...Ahh lovely warm fart aroma."
    Joe The Ombubser back sorting out the neighbour's knickers from the under12's tiddlywink team's socks.
    Mooney (I like the show. Good flicking between him and Moncrief)
    Mary (click click e-bay)wilson. Still trying to flog the youghart maker on-line during boring interviews but good enough.
    Sporty half hour (personally not kean on make up of that show, but hey).
    Owen Sweeney finally finding a home. He's so much more suited to this 7P.M show than Dave 'chuckle I know' Fannyfart. Sweeney had a rocky start on newstalk as he was lumbered with a hateful hag as a side kick and then he was thrown in the dungeon of researcher on Duffy. But he's rising phoenix like!(He's even creating a bit of compitition to my usual automatic flick to off the ball on 106).

Most importantly NO TUBRIDY! Oh glorious, maybe he'll find his spiritual home selling buckets and spades in Deans Grange and fixing mobile phones on the side.
    So salad days or room for adjustment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'm gonna come straight out and say it. I like everything about the Mooney show except for Mooney, O'Donoghue and the gardening guy with the sibilant lisp. I like the format tho, and I generally like the guests - if they could ever get a word in. I still feel there's too much music on RTE 1 tho, imo it should be speech only. There's tons of stations playing music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

Good post. I'm a Radio 1 fan.
    humberklog wrote: »

I always listen to Morning Ireland, habit I think. It was always on in the house growing up.
    But Aine's 'one of the lads' routine, particularly with the sports guys, makes me cringe.

I prefer Tubridy..I can hear your blood boiling!

No chance. Pat's the man.
    Ronan doing the Ronan.

Time to change switch over. I have listened to his show and seen him being interviewed in the past. I just cannot warm to him.
    Joe The Ombubser back sorting out the neighbour's knickers from the under12's tiddlywink team's socks.

Tune in to hear what's on. Some mad stuff, but also highlights some very important issues.

Me too, but stick with Moncrieff more now.
    Mary (click click e-bay)wilson. Still trying to flog the youghart maker on-line during boring interviews but good enough.

Back and forth between her, Matt Cooper and George Hook.

Better than the Newstalk marathon of a show..goes on forever. Talk about over analysis.
    Owen Sweeney finally finding a home. He's so much more suited to this 7P.M show than Dave 'chuckle I know' Fannyfart. Sweeney had a rocky start on newstalk as he was lumbered with a hateful hag as a side kick and then he was thrown in the dungeon of researcher on Duffy. But he's rising phoenix like!(He's even creating a bit of compitition to my usual automatic flick to off the ball on 106).).

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

I find Radio 1 dull. It's the same old voices and it's so conservative.

Mary Wilson pales in comparison to Matt Cooper and George Hook.

Ryan Tubirdy is the best of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Same tired schedule with different presenters standing in during the annual Montrose summer hibernation.

What they need to do is adopt BBC's model of designating radio stations - RTE should make Radio 1 talk-only with more current/consumer affairs in the afternoon, have an new easy listening station and retain the current formats of both RTE Radio 2 and Lyric FM.

Of course RTE being the conservative beast it is will not tinker with what it perceives to be a lucrative cash-cow in the form of Radio 1. This will be its undoing - the landscape of Irish Radio has changed dramatically in the past 20 years - yet RTE retain a schedule that hasn't changed all that dramatically since the early 1970's.

RTE Radio are gradually losing their Radio 1 listeners to the independents like a frog in a pot with the heat slowly being turned up.

RTE also need to review the ridiculous fees they pay to independent contractors such as Tubridy, Fuincaine, Duffy et al. and use more, dare I say, value for money staff presenters such as Mooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

It's a matter of opinion of course but is ARR.T.E one just about right at the moment?
    Ronan doing the Ronan. "Pull my finger Big TOM...Ahh lovely warm fart aroma."
    Owen Sweeney finally finding a home. He's so much more suited to this 7P.M show than Dave 'chuckle I know' Fannyfart. Sweeney had a rocky start on newstalk as he was lumbered with a hateful hag as a side kick and then he was thrown in the dungeon of researcher on Duffy. But he's rising phoenix like!(He's even creating a bit of compitition to my usual automatic flick to off the ball on 106).

Most importantly NO TUBRIDY! Oh glorious, maybe he'll find his spiritual home selling buckets and spades in Deans Grange and fixing mobile phones on the side.
    So salad days or room for adjustment?

Beg to differ sir, beg to differ.
    Yes, MI is still the Acme of early morning news, bit stilted perhaps, some dead wood there imho. Richard Downes/Aoife Kavanagh not suited for a fastmovingprog. like MI, take too long to make points.

Excellent reporters on Africa though

Fanning= squelch... straight over to the excellent Brenda Power
    Dungan= probably the most boring man on radio at he moment
    Collins=Odlums flour,never varies,same format,same intro, same dedications
    could do it in his sleep,and it shows.
    Duffy= ok
    Mooney= has the potential is he got rid of the hight pitched inflections/the lispers/and especially those stupid stupid competitions with the bell voiced Ms Donohue.

Wilson= bland and colourless and lacking in bite as a gummy penguin.

Sport at 1830 with Cahill or whoever= not a time for a short sports prog.

My mother makes me go to bed after that.

But if that's the best RTE can do Newstalk will have many new converts,like myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Indeed hardly a post I'd disagree with. (Except any regarding Tubridy positively). However my point being that as said by a poster that RTE is a conservative beast when it comes to change and so with this in mind that this line-up ain't half bad. I too would switch Kenny for Dungan but could see a regular spot for Dungan on Kenny's show once a week (the arts show at present simply isn't working)or pewrhaps knock Ronan on the head on a Friday and re-introduce a Rattlebag type show once a week. It is good too that there are alternatives to Mary Wilson on other stations but her team's not bad (I'd began warming to Myers and then he was gone). RTE still miss Rachael at that time.
    But as the schedule stands and keeping in mind that if you were to create your own dream team of radio it would become boring to the ears after a short time, as it helps to be irked into a reaction, that this is kinda working. Especially Owen Sweeney at 7. I do think that there is space on the demographic charts for a light musically based entertainment show at that time. 1 gripe would be that it seldom if ever swings away from Pop music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

QUOTE]

By comparison with whom ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I generally agree with the OP. Couldn't care less about who's presenting Morning Ireland tbh and never liked Joe Duffy's show.

I'm enjoying Rachel English standing in for Marian Finucane as well. I've always liked her as a presenter - as well as being very good at what she does, she always seems to be really nice or something.

One question though - what's with keeping the names of the radio shows when the presenter is gone on their hollyers? It's ridiculous Dave Fanning presenting "The Tubridy Show", Myles Dungan presenting "Today with Pat Kenny" etc. Well, OK I know why they're doing it from a branding point of view but it's still stoopid.

Firetrap wrote: »
    One question though - what's with keeping the names of the radio shows when the presenter is gone on their hollyers? It's ridiculous Dave Fanning presenting "The Tubridy Show", Myles Dungan presenting "Today with Pat Kenny" etc. Well, OK I know why they're doing it from a branding point of view but it's still stoopid.
    Pure laziness on the part of Arr-Tee-Eee, "ah shure jaysus lads, we've had this jingle since 1987, why change it now just because Kenny\Tubrudy\Duffy\Finucaine is off down the Algarve for a few months".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Merely illustrates how personality driven the schedule is.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Firetrap wrote: »

I'm enjoying Rachel English standing in for Marian Finucane as well.

One question though - what's with keeping the names of the radio shows when the presenter is gone on their hollyers?
    Indeed Rachael's pipes are far more tuned than Marian's. A class act. She used to do the 5pm news. Sorely missed.

According to my RTE insiders they inform me that the shows keep their names as that the time slot is in essence sold to Kenny (for e.g) as they all act as private contractors, so in fact it's sold to Kenny Ltd. and this 'slot' is annual or until said contract is ceased.

UrbanFox wrote: »
    QUOTE]

By comparison with whom ?
    Other radio presenters. As opposed to pig farmers, badminton masters, hula-hoop trecord holders, bag-pipe musicians etc. Aine may well be more than proficient in these areas however it's only her skills at broadcasting I refer to.

She is exellent on MI, no question about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I think the overall line up is good, I don't really like Tubridy, but the show's only an hour long so it's bearable. Don't like Ronan Collins either, full of his own importance, but again he's only on for an hour. I used to hate Derek Mooney, but he's starting to grow on me a bit lately, I like his honesty.

Does anyone know when Pat Kenny's back? I think I'll die of boredom if I have to listen to Myles much longer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Does anyone know when Pat Kenny's back? I think I'll die of boredom if I have to listen to Myles much longer.

Pat ? Popped out to the neighbours to borrow some tea.....hmmm that was about two weeks ago...uuuuuuhhhh !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

I have to say I have been really enjoying Radio 1 as of late. They are definitely getting so much more listeners back. Beats the tripe that is Today FM. Well done Radio 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Speer

Vincent Brown did Kenny's show a few summers ago.He was superb.Amazed he hasn't been given a daytime show on Radio 1.Stuck on late night TV3 says a lot for broadcasting in Ireland.

The sooner the better. I find myself still listening to the show, but tend to switch off/over regularly because of Myles.

He tries too hard to be all things to all people. Constantly demonstrating how well read and politically 'right on' he is. Then he does the banter with the sports guy (especially Andrew O'Connor) letting us know that he is an Arsenal fan...it all just makes him seem like a bit of a spoofer.

I think the overall line up is good, I don't really like Tubridy, but the show's only an hour long so it's bearable.

The OP was that RTE's schedule was better without Tubridy since he's been on hols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

couple of allegations in there that might cause us problems humber. Post deleted.

• Advertisement

Ohh missed them. Intrigue.

Mike.

Is anyone else loosing the will to live between 10 and midday? (not to that dreadful guffawing Canadian between 9-10 but that another thread)

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Ohh missed them. Intrigue.

Mike.
    It was a tit bit on V Brown's work place practices.

Indeed Dungan interest has expired with even less fanfair than the Ryvita that's been sitting in my cupboard for the last 2years.

Is anyone else loosing the will to live between 10 and midday? (not to that dreadful guffawing Canadian between 9-10 but that another thread)
    I'm with you there Mike. I didn't think the RTE Radio 1 summer-snooze-in could get any worse. Quelle suprise.

If it wasn't for BBC Radio 4, I'd be outside Montrose right now with a can of petrol in one hand and a rolled-up edition of the RTE Guide in the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

:mad:I don't believe it, Pat Kenny still isn't back, another week of Myles Dungan

At least two Piglet I'd say mesell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Speer

How long do these "A" list broadcasters go on holiday for? Seems like months.Joe Duffy was off for a month,came back for a week and now he's gone again.They have a Better gig than the school teachers and i believe they only work something like 175 days a year.

I'm wondering if Duffy was dragged back to fill a gap and then Davis was drafted in cos Joe wanted to get back on his holliers.

Or he is spending time with his brief

Mike.

Oh no...Myles is back. Standing in for Pat Kenny (for a couple of days, according to himself). Just when I was back into my 10am Radio 1 routine:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Cunning

mooneys a jerk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Merely illustrates how personality driven the schedule is.

Mike.

Exactly and thats their problem.

Make it more like BBC Radio 4 without the commercial breaks and RTE "celebrities". Leave the personalities forage a living on a revamped 2FM which would become more like BBC Radio 2 with all kinds of diverse musical tastes catered for and not the mundane "youth" ouput they currently have.

Its time for a change!

O yeah, and do something about that awful overcompressed audio, its sounds absolutely horrible and gives you "listener fatigue" after a couple of minutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Cunning

del

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Cunning this is a last warning for you to keep it on topic. If you wish to discuss moderation decisions you can PM one of the moderators. Next time you go off topic or break the charter you will be banned from the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Mooney is very irritating to be honest. He sounds like a hyperactive mammy's boy. Morning Ireland is the best thing on radio at that time of the day. Fanning is great - intelligent and talks sense. The only person that doesn't do it for me would be Joe Duffy/Tubridy and Collins - but they tap into the demographic and that's what MP3 players were made for so I'm as happy as a greyhound chasing a small rabbit.

Advertisement