Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Attenuation Question

Options
  • 30-07-2008 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was just looking at my broadband stats, and the line attenuation is 44/23db.

I have nothing to compare this against too. Is it good or bad?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's fine for 3 mbps at least. It should work at over 4 mbps if the line quality is decent enough. The max speed varies depending on electrical noise on the line and whatnot.

44dB is grand for the basic DSL products on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was just looking at my broadband stats, and the line attenuation is 44/23db.

I have nothing to compare this against too. Is it good or bad?? :confused:

depends on your SNR aswell

there really should be a sticky for these kinds of questions, every thread is becoming polluted with these "what speed will i get" type questions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It depends on SNR allright. But for the basic DSL package(1024/128), an attenuation of 44 on a working line will have no issues. Period. The noise to knock out a line like that would have to be very substantial and you would probably be able to hear the interference too.

Advertisement