Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying some equipment.

• 30-07-2008 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

Right, my brother seems to be into all this and I want to try something new so I have a bit of extra money coming my way and decided to buy some decks and equipment.

I have 700 euro for this which I understand is very little, so can anyone point me in the right direction of what names I want to be going for at my price and what I can get for my cash.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

you going the digital route (as in laptop based setup), or do you want to use cd's or vinyl?

If you have a decent laptop, I highly recommend going the digital route, you will save yourself a small fortune. On your budget you're not going to get a decent vinyl/cd setup. But you will get a really good digital setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

if ur goin digital and dont have a laptop yet that would buy u a grand laptop off laptopsdirect.ie

i got mine for a steal off them 2 gig ram, 260 gig hard drive, duel core processor for 500€ serious price

went up by 100 or soemthin like 2 days after i bought mine :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

I do have a very good laptop, but at the same time I like the charm of the hardware that comes with CD/vin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

dont bother with vinyl.its too expensive to buy and you simply cant find the tracks you want on vinyl.downloads are so much cheaper.
    id recommend a pair od cdj 200s and a cheap mixer.
    ideally you should save a bit though and get a better set up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

If you already have a laptop, get one of these: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/TorqXponent-main.html

500-600 euro and you're flyin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

+1 for the suggestion by Zascar! I have the dogs of digital set ups of course, but then again it did cost me over 3K! But the Tork is a good start and you can use other software for when you get more experience like Ableton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    +1 for the suggestion by Zascar! I have the dogs of digital set ups of course,

ah so you've gone mac then?

joking:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Luke! Broughan

Go for somthing second hand maybe,as a starter,with your money you have saved,go for something nice,try n get a set of stand alone cd decks,and a mixer,if you can,with your money.

your 700 is a lil awkward for second hand stuff,its not TOO much and its not TOO little,try get up to the 900 mark,save a little more and get a second hand pair of denon cd decks,and a mixer,a 2 channel mixer.

go for pioneer if its looking good price wise.

p.s if you are starting out,i wouldnt go for vinyl,its excellent and and that,but a good stand alone cd deck,will be great for you,and then move into vinyl if you think the time is right,the price is right.

as regards laptop djing,watch out,laptops crash,beware.

just get back to me if you want to ask me sumthing,im a veteran as regards buying second hand DJ gear and music production gear,synths etc,drum machines,you name it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    +1 for the suggestion by Zascar! I have the dogs of digital set ups of course, but then again it did cost me over 3K! But the Tork is a good start and you can use other software for when you get more experience like Ableton.

Tell me more.I stopped djing and sold my 1210's and djm-600 4 years ago cos I decided to settle down and I have 2 kids.But now they are that little bit older I have more time 2 myself after work and want to get bank into djing ,don't know weather 2 get pioneer cdj 's or digital route which I know nothing about -wat do I need ???:cool::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

second that ... i think its a great bit of kit for the money... ! great for getting into it all, lots of possibilities for expansion and different programs like ableton etc ! and its nice and tactile and its got flashing lights !!

do a search for xponent on youtube for lots of examples
    Zascar wrote: »
    If you already have a laptop, get one of these: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/TorqXponent-main.html

500-600 euro and you're flyin

i got one from US on ebay for around 375 ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭W1llz0rz

supersnail wrote: »
    i got one from US on ebay for around 375 ...

How much was postage on that mate as a matter of interest? I'm ordering something similar atm, and it says postage (305 days from US) is $69, that about right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

W1llz0rz wrote: »
    How much was postage on that mate as a matter of interest? I'm ordering something similar atm, and it says postage (305 days from US) is $69, that about right?

sounds on the money, I paid $70 !

whats "305" days about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Captain, I have some digital dj gear for sale at the mo on adverts, you might take a peek and see if its in your budget, I'll even help with the setting up if your withing reasonable distance.

If deemed OT delete, but kinda seems relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭W1llz0rz

supersnail wrote: »
    sounds on the money, I paid $70 !

whats "305" days about?

Took me a while to figure that out myself there, haha! I meant 3-5 days! Have it and all now, only took 3 days! Happy out!

Advertisement