Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do i qualify?

• 30-07-2008 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Was talking to a mate of mine recently who thinks i'm eligable for a grant. I'm going into my 4th year of college (not repeating) and have never got a grant. But my friend is convinced that if you have lived independantly of your parents of the last two years and are not repeating, you qualify.

Is this true?

Do i Qualify?

Comments

As of yet - no. There are plans afoot for students who have been independent of their parents for x number of years to be facilitiated by the grant scheme, but I think I remember hearing that it won't be starting until at least next year (2009/10 academic year). At the moment the only way to be independent is to be a mature student, and be assessed by the Council to be independent when you're starting college. It get's complicated but that's the gist of it.

You could of course qualify for a grant based on your income and your parents income, and there are various levels of 'being qualified' for a grant.

If you run into trouble during final year by the way, and I hope it goes well, remember that there's something called the 'Student Assistance Fund' in every college which you can apply to. You've to talk to your local student services department / tutor / mentor / whoever about availing of this but it's a confidential fund you can apply to get. Given out on a case-by-case basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

don't suppose they'll accept mature personality no? :o

Thanks anyway Myth, At least now i know.

Advertisement