Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where does AA Roadwatch get them?

• 30-07-2008 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

Listening to the traffic update before 8.00 am on TodayFM their latest genius referred to some problem or other on the "Yoogle Road" in Cork. I didn't imagine it as my passenger also heard this, the funniest attempt I've ever heard to pronounce Youghal.

Maybe she should use Yoogle Maps before she goes on air in future. :D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

LOL :D

Though I do remember some RTÉ presenter pronouncing Thurles as "Thurls" years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BreeVdK

:) You will also here 'Carrick on Sewer' for Carrick on Suir or Cah-er for Cahir although I've seen county council sighposts around the Cahir area using both spellings. But I think 'care' is the correct pronunciation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Of course there are the perennial problems at the rindabyte on the Glenageawy Rowd. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

bmaxi wrote: »
    Of course there are the perennial problems at the rindabyte on the Glenageawy Rowd. :eek:

Not to mention the "creche" on the dual carraigway in Foxrock.

"Crash" for those who don't gettit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I bet they get Foxrock right every time.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

speaking of which, name the station based on the "Glenageawy Rowd."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

ollaetta wrote: »
    Listening to the traffic update before 8.00 am on TodayFM their latest genius referred to some problem or other on the "Yoogle Road" in Cork. I didn't imagine it as my passenger also heard this, the funniest attempt I've ever heard to pronounce Youghal.

Maybe she should use Yoogle Maps before she goes on air in future. :D:D
    Heh, I know: Old Yoogle Road - it's actually where I live so that woke me up properly. AA Roadwatch has put some really bad reporters on air.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

I have it on good authority that they are produced in a factory deep in South Co Dublin.

They are all produced in dark suits, blonde hair,pearly gnashers and designer sunglasses welded to the tops of their heads.

They are programmed to drive small jeeps...and have extensive knowledge of the topography of South Co Dub...but freek all else.

They use gallons of fake tan and after a few broadcasts become "celebreties" ..they then adopt a charidee and host auction lunches which other celebreties attend.

Their natural hangout is the VIP areas of rip off nite clubs in Dublin.

Wouldn't mind bangin a few of them though.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Speer

The above is fantastic.Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

It easy criticise but it just takes a split second for the wrong prenunciation to come out and it all goes haywire from there on in.

• Advertisement

Well fair enough, a mispronunciation I can forgive, but the accents... these I cannot and will not forgive!

The accent (nordie with put-on posh bits) and the voice (sugary sweet and cutesie and girlie) of the reporter in question are particularly unforgivable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have it on good authority that they are produced in a factory deep in South Co Dublin.

They are all produced in dark suits, blonde hair,pearly gnashers and designer sunglasses welded to the tops of their heads.

They are programmed to drive small jeeps...and have extensive knowledge of the topography of South Co Dub...but freek all else.

They use gallons of fake tan and after a few broadcasts become "celebreties" ..they then adopt a charidee and host auction lunches which other celebreties attend.

Wouldn't mind bangin a few of them though.....:D
    And when AA roadwatch spits them out they can go and get a handy number impersonating a weather person on RTÉ television. Supplement that with presenting the lotto from time to time.

Dudess wrote: »
    Well fair enough, a mispronunciation I can forgive, but the accents... these I cannot and will not forgive!

The accent (nordie with put-on posh bits) and the voice (sugary sweet and cutesie and girlie) of the reporter in question are particularly unforgivable...

+1. I have visions of the AA being staffed with people who also talk like this. Only people who speak with that godawful dortspeak accent could even consider employing fellow dortspeakers. Birds of a feather and all that

And that's just the blokes. :)

( In deference to our more sensitive posters I deleted the last line)

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    speaking of which, name the station based on the "Glenageawy Rowd."

Is it Fm 102? I know it has to be something cringe inducing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

The amount of Z Listers AA Roadwatch has launched is not funny!

The guy in charge of the AA Conor Faughnan used to read the traffic and now all of a sudden hes an *expert* on all things transport related :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Sizzler wrote: »
    The guy in charge of the AA Conor Faughnan used to read the traffic and now all of a sudden hes an *expert* on all things transport related :rolleyes:

Yeah that's something that's always amused me...I remember back when I was in school listening to Faughnan on Dempsey's (?) show of a morning...half a life time later he's the talking head you see or hear on every news story that has even a passing relevance to the Irish road network. Perhaps the guy is qualified or maybe he's just been doing it for so long he can convincingly wing it with some buzzwords and a bit of common sense...

No, as someone who has worked in radio research, I can vouch for the fact that Conor Faughnan seriously knows his **** and is excellent on air. Extremely articulate and knowledgeable (genuinely so, not just reading-up-on-stuff-before-going-on-air kinda knowledgeable) and with a very good radio voice and a pleasant, unassuming, warm manner.

I think he'd make a great broadcaster in his own right - or a PR/publicity person, which is pretty much what he is at AA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

Ronan Gilligan used to have a very deep (and authoritative) sounding voice when doing the traffic on RTE Radio 1 but his voice changes and is much less deep when he's on 2FM. :confused:
    Good presenter though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 talkie

I don't see why people are still going on about roadwatch....who cares or even leaves the radio on when traffic comes on!!!!

• Advertisement

They swoop in and irritate the hell out of me in a very short space of time. The same as that nasally newsreader woman on Newstalk, Moykull McMullan on Today FM and that Emma McNamara bint on Drivetime. Irritating accents/irritating voices.

RadioCity wrote: »
    Ronan Gilligan used to have a very deep (and authoritative) sounding voice when doing the traffic on RTE Radio 1 but his voice changes and is much less deep when he's on 2FM. :confused:
    Good presenter though.
    It's always the same. Any time I've heard an AA report on Radio 1 (Morning Ireland in particular) the presenter always sounds more formal than they do on 2FM, the girls sound more "bubbly" and chatty whereas on Radio 1 it's just straight to the point.

They are just reflecting the demographics that listen to R1 and 2FM. 2FM style antics on R1 would not be tolerated by it's more reserved listenership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

Is it Fm 102? I know it has to be something cringe inducing.

No such station. Are you thinking of FM104?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

its Q102, to answer the question correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Yes I had the radio on Friday morning and they were talking about a buildup heading towards Dion Street in Kilkenny. Don't know a great deal about Kilkenny but I would imagine they were supposed to be talking about Dean Street. I like that about Carrick on Sewer, great pronunciation isn't it? Also please be careful on the duel carrrrradge whey, it chan be dangerous. This was Morning Ireland on Radio 1 btw. Awful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Speer

What ever happened to 2fm's 'eye in the sky'? Wasn't it presented by some guy called Nails Mahoney.They always used the American pronunciation of his name for some odd reason.

Speer wrote: »
    What ever happened to 2fm's 'eye in the sky'? Wasn't it presented by some guy called Nails Mahoney.They always used the American pronunciation of his name for some odd reason.
    That went when AA roadwatch got the contract.

Wasn't that Electric Eddie?

Incidentally Nails Mahoney is now called Brian McColl ->Link to YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Barrack Street here in Waterford was pronounced Bar-rack a few times. The Obama influence methinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I hate the way they say door-sett street, should it not be Dorset street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

slideways wrote: »
    I hate the way they say door-sett street, should it not be Dorset street?

The correct pronunciation is door-set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Radio Mad. wrote: »
    The correct pronunciation is door-set.
    Well thats me told so... what would a culchie know eh?

slideways wrote: »
    Well thats me told so... what would a culchie know eh?
    Don't feel too bad. As a native of north inner city Dublin, I can assure you that when I was growing up the accepted pronunciation was Dorset St, with the emphasis on the first syllable. Dorset St. is a relatively new pronunciation, which again I would attribute to the traffic bulletins. The reason being that nobody cared where Dorset St. was until it became a bottleneck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I was about to create a new one concerning AA Roadwatch, until I saw this.

A serious question. Do the AA have a policy of only recruiting presenters with that ridiculous accent or is it that most of their applicants are already tragically afflicted with said accent? Maybe someone with some actual knowledge of how they choose these people could enlighten me?

I can remember AA Roadwatch since its inception in the 80's and to the best of my memory almost all of their presenters, particularly the females, have spoken with that much maligned...and rightly so...Dort, D4 etc. accent and I think they are getting worse.

It cannot be just coincidence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

What gets me is the "U" pronunciation of almost all of them.

Nicola Hudson is head and shoulders over the lot of them.

"Dooblin Buus" is one, and cars and trooks is another.

That guy Gilligan is the worst offender,:mad:

Where do they get them indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

ollaetta wrote: »
    Listening to the traffic update before 8.00 am on TodayFM their latest genius... :D:D

Its the Irish Fairies sailings slays me every time, not in a good way.

Where do they get them indeed.
    FÁS centre usually.

What gets me is the "U" pronunciation of almost all of them.

Nicola Hudson is head and shoulders over the lot of them.

"Dooblin Buus" is one, and cars and trooks is another.
    She's from Navan, not sure about the rest but I usually assume they're D4 heads.

That then move on to weather presentation. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I heard Kilmacanogue (near Bray) being described as 'Kil-mechanic' on AA roadwatch the other day :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Camelot wrote: »
    I heard Kilmacanogue (near Bray) being described as 'Kil-mechanic' on AA roadwatch the other day :))

That's the way the locals roll I think. That or the other way.

That would be the correct way to say it.

Advertisement