Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I need?? Router Booster????

Options
  • 30-07-2008 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Yo yo.. Hopefully somebody can help me here.. I recently built a workshop out my back garden and am wondering how I can boost the signal from my house to the workshop.. Im taking it's some sort of signal booster......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

what router do you have? there is third party firmware that can help you to boost your signal strength

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Well the most reliable solution would be to lay some cat5 out to the workshop. It's very cheap, and if you don't mind doing the work yourself, won't set you back more than about 5/10 quid for the cable.

Another option is buying another wireless access point and a directional antenna to point at your workshop. This is more costly, but not very labour intensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Are you talking about network boosting? Locate the router near the wall closet the worshop if possible - The signal should travel 100m if there's a wall, it should still travel to a workshop in a garden. I can get good wireless signal through 3 walls at home and a distance from the router. You can buy repeaters for routers or an antenna on a long cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bobfino

it's just a Eircom netopia router. Would it be ok to just run a ethernet cable from one of the outlets?

Advertisement